classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Camping Gear Needs for Big Blue's Overlanding Trip

Rusty_S85
Gary Lewis wrote
Jeff - Those containers would work as they have the valve that would make it easy to use them.  

As for temps, we don't know what they will be.  We don't even know for sure where we are going nor when, which will make a difference.  But last year when Janey and I went to Arkansas we saw temps below freezing all day and down to 12F one night.

Rusty - I want all of my lights to be rechargeable.  The flashlights are, the string lights are, and the lantern should be.  So the Super Siege 1100 is certainly an option.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Speaking of the string lights, I'm very disappointed in Mpowerd.  Their customer support rep told me yesterday that I could charge it via the USB port in the body, so I ordered a male/male cable and it came in today.  Turns out the guy was wrong.  Or, I should say that it appears the guy was wrong.  When you plug the connector on the end of the light string into a charger port the lights on the top of the body flash.  But not when you plug into the USB port.

I've contacted Mpowerd and have explained that I'm not a happy camper as their rep gave me bad info, and that doesn't make me thrilled to buy a lantern from them.
I dont have the Super Siege myself but I will be buying it when time permits.  I love Stream Light products I use their flash lights at work and my first one I would still have if someone didnt grab it off the charger on my tool box at work to borrow it and then lost it.  That light was pushing 8 years old and still worked like new all I had to do was buy a new rechargeable battery in that span as one of the two batteries went bad.

On the bad info you received that sucks, I noticed lately lots of companies are misunderstanding when you ask pointed questions and they try to go off some kind of answer chart that they are provided.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I bought a couple Scepter 5 gallon military-style water jugs on a long trip to Utah I did in July, they are really high quality and I like them a lot. They have all sorts of accessories like spouts, hand pumps, and carriers. No chance of algae formation.

For tables, I like the LIFETIME plastic center-folding ones. They are pretty durable and convenient for what they are. There are portable fish cleaning tables you can buy that have a sink. Then there's this camp kitchen I've seen my cousin bring around.

On the cooking side, I just use backpacking stuff because it's usually just me and my woman. But I really like my GSI Outdoors utencils, they are cheap too. I'm fairly certain you can get them at Bass Pro/Cabela's or any of the outdoor gear chains. If you do coffee or tea, you might want to look into a JetBoil which will boil water in about a minute. It's a whole lot more useful for backpacking however.

For drinks of any temperature, I REALLY like my Yeti Rambler. I use it for hot coffee, I use it for cold beer, I use it for ice water. If you can't shell out the money for the Yeti, try one of the many imitators, I have a cheapo one and it's nearly as good.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys.

On the bad advice, I've already told Mpowerd that it has probably cost them a sale on their lantern.

On the Scepter 5 gallon jugs, I think they are too tall to fit under the cover in the bed.  If I remember correctly 18" is the max and the jugs are 18 51/64, so I don't think they'll work.  But thanks.

That camp kitchen looks like it has room for everything, but it also looks like it would take a lot of setup awa room.  I think we want something more basic - like a table.

The GSI Outdoors utencils may be useful, so I'll check them out.  But I need to find out from the cook what he wants to use.

As for coffee, are you talking about this: Jetboil Flash Camping and Backpacking Stove Cooking System?  I was assuming we'd make coffee in an old-fashioned percolator on the Coleman gas stove.  But I'll have to talk to our son.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
On the coffee issue, I have a Coleman propane powered coffee pot, its designed for camping but its small size has me using it at work during the winter months.  I bring it home during the warm months and when the cold weather hits I take it to work and put it on my tool box.  It functions no different than your standard electric at home coffee pot it just is powered by a small propane bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E4IAEQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

majorfa05
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
During my 28 + years playing Army, one of the troops, brought a port-a-potty chair to the field with us. We hung a poncho around it for privacy and got to tell you it was awesome. No sitting on a branch or squatting over a hole. It folds up for easy storage and you can use a garbage bag, bucket or just dig a hole under it. LOL we had people from all over stopping by to use our latrine. Also if you can find one of the old Coleman Heaters, they work great on very little fuel, used one to heat our M577 Command post Carrier or maybe find one of those small wood heater, which can also be used to cook on and fuel is free.  
Georgia
1982 F100
300 6cyl
43,000miles
Work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
majorfa05 wrote
During my 28 + years playing Army, one of the troops, brought a port-a-potty chair to the field with us. We hung a poncho around it for privacy and got to tell you it was awesome. No sitting on a branch or squatting over a hole. It folds up for easy storage and you can use a garbage bag, bucket or just dig a hole under it. LOL we had people from all over stopping by to use our latrine. Also if you can find one of the old Coleman Heaters, they work great on very little fuel, used one to heat our M577 Command post Carrier or maybe find one of those small wood heater, which can also be used to cook on and fuel is free.

On the propane heaters I was actually looking at the Mr. Heater MH9BX indoor-safe radiant heater that runs off propane bottles.  Has a 4,000 - 9,000 btu setting but I never bought it cause I wasnt sure if it would be a viable replacement for my electric heater I use when sleeping when cold.  But I have always been impressed with the Mr Heater portable heaters and this one can run up to 5.4 hours on low and can heat up to 225 sq ft.  It also runs on 1lb propane cylinders but I think I read couple years back that you can also buy a attachment arm to run larger 5lb propane cylinders.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
While I have a portable chemical potty, my son doesn't want to use it.  So I'm thinking we'll get one of the seats with disposable bags like was suggested earlier.  But haven't pulled the trigger yet.

But on the propane heater for indoor use, watch out for all the moisture that it will create.  Unless I'm mistaken, when you burn any fuel like that you wind up with a lot of moisture, and when I used a kerosene heater it took me a while to figure out why my tools were rusting.  Then I realized that they got cold at night and then I hit them with a ton of moisture when I ran the heater, and that condensed and rusted them.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I was assuming we'd make coffee in an old-fashioned percolator on the Coleman gas stove.  But I'll have to talk to our son.
I like pour-over because it's very compact, but it's also more work. The percolator is better for multiple people anyway. I recant the Jetboil Flash, it's probably not a good idea if it's only gonna be used for coffee, but it is really cool!
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, pour over is more work. I actually have a small French press, but it only does a cup at a time. So with two of us wanting coffee we'll probably want the percolator.

Let me update the discussion with Mpowerd regarding charging their Luci String Lights. They asked for a video of what I'm experiencing, so I put together the one below. As you can see, it charges via the plug on the end of the string, but doesn't appear to via the USB port on the body.

I'm really disappointed both with the bad advice they gave me as well as the lack of admitting the mistake. So at this point in time I cannot recommend their products. They may get back with me, but I sent them the link to the requested video two days ago, so unless they are having a whole lot of similar complaints I would have expected a response by now. And if they are having that many complaints...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I sent a note to Mpowerd and asked why I hadn't heard back after sending them the link to the video and they replied today and said:

Thank you for reaching out. We sent a follow up e-mail on Friday the 28th at 5:30pm. We are really sorry that you have not received our email. Our response is pasted again below for you:

Thank you so much for sending us the video so we could better assist you. This light is a Model A light which has the USB at the end of the cord rather than our new version of the Lucí Solar string lights that have USB on the actual light. We are so sorry for the confusion. When you mentioned that you had that "white lights" we were under the impression that you had the White colored solar string lights. The port on the body of the String light is only used to charge out. You cannot charge the String Light using that port. That port is only used to charge other devices.

We take accountability for our error we are so deeply sorry about this. To express our apology we'd love offer you a 50% off coupon code that you can use on our website. Please let us know if you are open to receive this or have any questions at all. We are here to assist.

So I looked through my email, including the spam folder, and did not find the one they mentioned.  However, I did find three emails today from them: one saying thanks for your order; one saying welcome to the club; and one saying your order has shipped to Gary Lewis in California.  And it had the wrong phone number!

But I haven't ordered anything!

I called the number in CA and left them a message that I have an email saying their package has shipped and gave them my number.  And I emailed Mpowerd that they appear to have their wires crossed and are at least sending me someone else's messages and are probably sending them my messages.  But I would like the 50% discount.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, there's a 50% discount and then there's a 50% discount.  Turns out there are several ways to buy the Luci Base, but the discount only works on the Mpowerd website where the price is higher - much higher.

Mpowerd website: Costs $54.95 list, so it would be $27.48 plus $12.50 for shipping for $39.98

Amazon: $34.95 & free delivery.

I'm thinking that the 50% discount is irrelevant.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Man, that’s messed up!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it is messed up.  And it doesn't end there.  I got an email from Mpowerd today that gave me the discount code and nothing else.  No "We are sorry that you got the other person's email.  We've figured out the problem and corrected it.  But thanks a bunch for letting us know."  My reply was:

Sam - Thanks, but no comment on me getting someone else's emails?

As for the 50% off, that doesn't appear to be a good deal to me.  Here's my analysis on the Luci Base:

Mpowerd website: Costs $54.95 list, so it would be $27.48 plus $12.50 for shipping for $39.98

Amazon: $34.95 & free delivery.

So thanks, but no thanks.