7359 messages Options
1 ... 40414243444546 ... 368
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Blue's Transformation

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the engine crossmember and frame horns cleaned up, primed, and painted today.  Oh, and I got the areas where the rear spring hangers bolt on painted as well since they'd been banged up a bit in getting the old hangers off.  Plus there were bare holes in the frame.

Decided to just go with a good metal primer and semi-gloss black, both from rattle cans, to do this instead of POR15.  There just wasn't enough to warrant the POR15, and no real rust for the POR to adhere to.  So this made the job faster and easier.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ethobling
Skimmed through this thread and it's looking epic!

Can't wait for the day when I can do stuff like that to Baruch.

Your truck is gonna look sick.
Project/Soon-to-be Work Truck: "Baruch" 1983 F-100 4.9 L6
Daily Driver: "Charlotte" 1997 Taurus Wagon GL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  It takes a lot of time and places to put things.  I have to keep reminding my self that it is a hobby and is supposed to be fun, so don't rush it.

On the other hand, it has to get done as I want to use the truck.  So....

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've been working on my list of stuff to order, like ball joints and wheel bearings.  But I wanted to get something tangible done today so grabbed the engine perches and the 1/2" fastener assortment and started installing them.  As it turned out I didn't have enough of the 1/2" x 1" G8 fasteners, so I put them in with what I had and will go back and replace them and torque things up when I get the right ones.

Here they are from below.  Think the driver's side one has enough fasteners?    When I got the truck the driver's side only had two fasteners to the crossmember, and they weren't tight.  And the ones to the frame were wonky.  And they were small.  All are being upgraded to 1/2" G8.

And here's a before and after.  Can you figure out what changed?  Which do you like better?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've just ordered most of the parts for the wheel bearings and seals - all Timken.  Specifically I have ordered #'s 2, 3, 4 13, 12, 7, & 8 from the drawing below.

However, I need two more parts I haven't been able to find, so need your help.

First is a seal saver/speedi-sleeve/repair sleeve, meaning the thin ring that you put on a hub to correct for a groove in the hub where the seal has rubbed.  The hub diameter is 2.75", but I've not found a repair sleeve to fit.

Second, I need #14 in the diagram, the "grease retainer".  But I haven't found it either.  Help!

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
#14 is just the normal inner wheel seal.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Not sure if you've looked through the Timken/National catalog but you may end up having to call their support hotline and see if they offer a custom application via supplied measurements.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are right, #14 is the seal.    But there's another part that I don't see in the illustration.  Or maybe I'm tired.  I'll get a pic tomorrow and lay all the parts out in the illustration's order.

I have the Timken catalog open, and it isn't showing it either.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Don't the seals press into the hub, and ride on the spindle?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Don't the seals press into the hub, and ride on the spindle?
Yes, and there's a groove in both spindles where the seal has been riding.  And that's why I want a speedi-sleeve.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
The black looks much better, Gary!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, David!  I know the red didn't hurt anything, except my eyes, but ....

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, here's the extra piece I found that doesn't show in the illustration.  I'm wondering if it is the guts from a seal, like the one shown on the left:

And here are a couple of shots of the spindle and its groove.  Both spindles look like they have the exact same groove, so is there any possibility that it is factory?  I've never seen that and can't think of a reason why they'd do that, but both measure 2.742" and the non-grooved surface measures 2.750".  Surely it is just worn and needs a speedi-sleeve.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right, but your post from 9:40 last night says "hub" in two places.

I wonder if they make a Scottseal for the front hubs, like the rear?
If it was glued to the spindle there would be no issue
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh!  My bad.  Sorry, wrong terminology.  

I don't know about Scottseals, but SKF makes the Speedi-sleeves.  The chart below shows the available sizes, and 99275 is the one I think I need.  The spindle  measures 2.7512" to 2.7518, so I think that's the right one.  Unfortunately that one is .781" wide and the spindle measures .700" before it starts tapering up.  And the next smaller one at .406" is too narrow.  So I may have to machine the back of the spindle slightly to get the speedi-sleeve to go on.  Or, I may have to machine the speedi-sleeve off where it overhanges.

NAPA has them for $54, and shows the pic on the left, below.  But Amazon has the 99275 for $39.20, although it only has the pic on the right, so I doubt they sell many based on the pic 'cause that's only the installation tool.  

And, while that seems expensive, Torque King appears to be the place to get new spindles as they are having them made, and they are $365/each.  So I think I'll order the speedi-sleeves from Amazon - and hope I get more than the installation tool.

Any other suggestions?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I would definitely try to take the difference off of the sleeve rather than the spindle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
salans7 wrote
I would definitely try to take the difference off of the sleeve rather than the spindle.
Good advice.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I was just wondering the same thing. I don't know about the Scottseal, but the Ford replacement seal for the rear full floating hub Motorcraft BRS83 is a real nice piece, the actual seal is internal to the casing so no wear on the axle tube at all.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I missed the pictures of the groove. Those are definitely not supposed to be there, and that tells me that either a junk or a pretty old seal was on there. That may explain the "extra" piece you found.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Which is exactly my point Bill!
They press into the hub and glue on the spindle.

The only thing that keeps gear oil in my rear axle are those 'seal within a seal' updated parts.
And if you had them on the front, any groove would be a complete non-issue.
No trying to get the sleeve on straight.
No machining.
Install as usual and go.

Jim,
1 ... 40414243444546 ... 368