classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7351 messages Options
1 ... 38394041424344 ... 368
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Blue's Transformation

salans7
Man, I was really looking forward to the microanalysis on reading engine decals and date stamps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I did look at the label today, but there's nothing that indicates year.  Don't worry, there will be plenty of oppo's for micro-analyses.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the F600 radio bezel in today and compared it to the instrument bezel.  As you'll see in the pic below, they match although the silver on the instrument bezel is no match for that on the radio bezel.  And while the blacks are close, the instrument bezel has a bit more sheen to it.  But, this truck is to be "functional", not "pretty", so I think this is going to work.

And, I played with how the switches will fit.  In a word, nicely!  The switch I have, which will be identical to the others save for color and graphics of the lens, is .960" wide.  And the bezel where the switches will mount is 6.75" wide.  So with 6 switches I'll have almost .2" between them.  That's going to weaken the bezel quite a bit, so I'll probably stuff the back side with a piece of aluminum to stiffen it.

The pic on the left shows how the switches will look, and the one on the right shows the size of the switch itself with respect to the bezel.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I believe the match is quite sufficient, especially since one is new. And, they will not be right next to each other.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've been rethinking the switch situation.  My intent has been to use the instrument bezel with the cutout for the fog light switch, add the little bezel I had printed, and find a switch that'll work.

But, with the purchase of the F600 radio bezel I believe I can squeeze 6 switches in there and wouldn't need to put the fog/driving lights down below.  That has the advantage of having all of the aux switches in one easily-seen place, and there will be a light showing whether or not that function is on - something not done on the fog light bezel.

The down side is that I'll have to find another mesh weave instrument bezel, but it also means the one I have would be available to someone else.

Anyway, here are the functions I'm thinking of having on the radio bezel:

1. OX locker
2. Air compressor
3. Driving lights: Could put driving lights and backup lights on the same switch, with relays that require the headlights to be on for the driving lights and the tranny to be in reverse for the backup lights
4. Backup lights: May want to have really bright backup lights and, if so, should probably provide a way to prevent blinding people
5. Parallel batteries: Would include the light to show when the batteries have been paralleled by the Cole Hersee relay.
6. PTO: If the ECU has the proper input this would put the engine into fast-idle mode for charging the battery during winching.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas are requested.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
That is a workable solution, Gary. We all can be on the lookout for a suitable black weave instrument bezel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
...on the radio bezel...
I highly recommend you NOT mount any switches to the actual plastic bezel.  It's not a mounting frame, and when Ford did that in the 90s, the results were not good.  I'd just use it as a bezel, around the switches, which I'd mount to a metal frame that attaches solidly to the dash structure.  Something like these:

This is done similarly:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - You have a very valid point.  The radio bezel has a very flimsy mounting method anyway, and to put 6 switches on it, even with an aluminum backing plate, would only make it worse.

And, I REALLY hate having a bezel that is tethered by gauges or switches.  So your suggestion makes even more sense.

I think the plan, without having really looked things over, will be to build an aluminum bracket that will be screwed to the instrument panel.  I'll have the appropriate cutouts for the switches to snap into, and I'll feed the wires through the bracket holes, attach them to the appropriate switch, and then snap the switch into the bracket - with the rocker/actuator off the switch.  Then put the radio bezel in place, with it having holes cut into it to just clear the switch's lever that sticks out, and the radio bezel will rest against the face of the switch.  Pop the actuator/rocker on, and it'll look finished.

As for the legends that might go on the switches, I'm thinking about these, which are available from Carling.  Thoughts?

Driving Lights:

Backup Lights:

Compressor:

Battery Parallel:

Fast Idle:

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I like all of them, except for the fast idle. If it were me, I would go with :

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shaun - That might be the better one.  Thanks.

And, did you notice the cute one for differential?  Here it is along with the Ox switch.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Kinda reminds me of a Winters Quick Change. But with spider gears.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't know anything about a Winter's Quick Change, but looked it up.  Sure looks like a Jag rear end to me.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Those Jag IRS rear ends with inboard discs were all the rage until BMW came out with the Z3.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Got the F600 radio bezel in today and compared it to the instrument bezel.  As you'll see in the pic below, they match although the silver on the instrument bezel is no match for that on the radio bezel.  And while the blacks are close, the instrument bezel has a bit more sheen to it.  But, this truck is to be "functional", not "pretty", so I think this is going to work.

And, I played with how the switches will fit.  In a word, nicely!  The switch I have, which will be identical to the others save for color and graphics of the lens, is .960" wide.  And the bezel where the switches will mount is 6.75" wide.  So with 6 switches I'll have almost .2" between them.  That's going to weaken the bezel quite a bit, so I'll probably stuff the back side with a piece of aluminum to stiffen it.

The pic on the left shows how the switches will look, and the one on the right shows the size of the switch itself with respect to the bezel.

I thought you might like to see what showed up on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-91-1980-1991-Ford-truck-F600-F700-F800-dash-radio-bezel-trim-Black/174028951343?hash=item2884ef0f2f:g:bK4AAOSw1rpderWh
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting!  Same price as the one from NPD, but mine's new and doesn't have the holes already cut for two switches.  And those holes might not fit where I'm placing my switches.

On the other hand, that one has a neat little indicator strip that goes in the upper window.  However, I'm planning to use that window for a digital display driven by the Arduino, so I don't need the indicator strip.

Anyway, cool!  Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Time for an update.  Got an email from Scotty and the short block is on the way.  Should be in Tulsa around Tue/Wed next week, so hope to pick it up on Thursday, a week from today.  Pics he sent me below.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Eric's been working on the heads and they are ready for pickup.  Hope to do that on Saturday.

Guess I need to get the front suspension done so I have something in which to put the engine, huh?  

By the way, the top of the piston in the 2nd pic says .003 DH, which presumably means the piston is only .003" down in the hole.  Can you say "quench"?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Impressive looking!

~.043" quench?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ok, I'll admit to a little bit of envy.   🤢
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - Yes, that's about right.

Jim - But you'll have some stake in it.  After all, many of the parts that are going on it came off the F450 you parted out.  That includes the upper and lower plenums, timing cover, serpentine brackets, Saginaw pump, etc.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Looks good!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
1 ... 38394041424344 ... 368