1 ... 19202122232425 ... 370
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Blue's Transformation

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It would work if you simply changed it to a negative before you hit print..,.

Isn't this newfangled desktop publishing thing just the bee's knees?

Assuming emissions becomes "check engine" wouldn't a simple I on be more understandable for the future generations?

I forget what the other light is for.
Let me check...
Yes, going negative on the 4X4 would work.  

And I was planning on "check engine" and possibly an engine w/a slash through it, as that's what I seem to remember from more recent vehicles.  However, I don't know what "a simple I on" is.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Oh!
Charge fault....

That could be a battery icon too.

I'll check for a similar font tonight when I get home.
But I don't even know if you need one.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, charging fault.  I was expecting to go with "Battery" and a battery icon.  Like maybe:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"icon"
Damned autocorrect....  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahhhh!  I should have understood that.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Notice the swoop at the foot of the R.

This looks like simple Helvetica. (Maybe demi condensed too?)

Options include: Clearview, Folio light, Liberation Sans (demi condensed)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Jim!  Thanks.

This is a comparison using Helvetica Normal.  I added that font to my computer and added the picture to a Word document, which makes it easy to compare.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's narrower.
Maybe demi condensed.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll show my ignorance - is that Demi Condensed or Helvetica Demi Condensed?  I'm not much on fonts.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Helvetica.,
Here have a look at condensed neue

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Might be easier to fit, with icons.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Might be easier to fit, with icons.
Not sure what you mean.  What might be easier to fit with icons?  The narrower Helvetica?  If so, I agree.

I'm thinking that we are close enough with Helvetica.  The warning lights should rarely be on for long, with the exception of Brake, so it'll be really hard to compare.  I'm happy!  (Not Doc, or Grumpy, or....)

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, icons.

The regular Helvetica will be too long.
Or the kerning will be touching.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I think we have a plan - thanks to you.

What do you think about hiving the bit about warning labels off into a new thread?  Maybe called New Warning Labels or somesuch?  Might be more easily found than buried in this thread.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think you and Steve are the only two who are going to even consider this level of OCD.

I personally don't feel it needs to be separated from the rest of the gauge cluster.
Just group it in with instrumentation.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
How did I get thrown under that bus???   I had lost interest/track of this thread because you two were OCDing it for the past few pages.  I think I had to go back 2 or 3 to find my last comment.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
To me the issue with using a label writer would be the lack of a matching font or any icons.
The label printers I have (Brother PT-2430PC & Brother QL-570) will print graphics (including an image of any text in any font) and/or real text in any font installed on the host computer.

...and it didn't take me long to replicate those labels.  Send me your mailing address & I'll send you a few to play with.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Steve, I'm not 'throwing you under the bus'

The two of you are the only ones who I've ever known making a custom gel for a warning lamp.
That's why I mentioned your name.

I can go back and edit you out of my post, if you want.  ????

40+ years ago all these typefaces had to be either cut and pasted from offset prints or film, or rubbed down from an acetate sheet (Letraset), the trade name from Esselte(?)
But much like: Qtip & Kleenex or Asprin & Heroin they have become ubiquitous for a certain product.

There used to be hundreds (or thousands) of typefaces (Letraset) and color gamuts (Panatone) available to commercial artists.
I sold these -back then- and had an incredible eye for matching name and number to a sample.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
I'm guessing my standalone Dymo Letratag (from Esselte!) is just not advanced enough?

I'm old, and most of my tools are too....

The label printers I have (Brother PT-2430PC & Brother QL-570) will print graphics (including an image of any text in any font) and/or real text in any font installed on your computer
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve83 wrote
How did I get thrown under that bus???   I had lost interest/track of this thread because you two were OCDing it for the past few pages.  I think I had to go back 2 or 3 to find my last comment.
ArdWrknTrk wrote
To me the issue with using a label writer would be the lack of a matching font or any icons.
The label printers I have (Brother PT-2430PC & Brother QL-570) will print graphics (including an image of any text in any font) and/or real text in any font installed on the host computer.

...and it didn't take me long to replicate those labels.  Send me your mailing address & I'll send you a few to play with.
I prefer to think you and I are the cream of the crop, the elite.  But are you saying you don't want to be in the same category as me.  

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure my little Casio KL-P1000 won't do graphics.  It won't even change fonts from what I can tell.  So I'll send you my address.  But please don't go to much trouble on that.  And thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Are you assuming Steve has Helvetica Neue Condensed on his computer?

Because I don't know if any labelwriter will 'set to fit' a given typeface in a given space. (the length of your warning lamp)
 Jim,
1 ... 19202122232425 ... 370