classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7367 messages Options
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 369
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Blue's Transformation

grumpin
Just my humble opinion here, I had a first gen 4Runner, 1987. The 22RE engine, 5 speed manual.

Well built, surprisingly heavy. Very good engine, dependable. Only needed one thing, more power.

Awhile back, early 80’s, while working on helicopters, logging in the northwest. The company I worked for had Ford, Chevy and Toyotas. Fords and Chevys were 2WD and 4WD. Yotes were all 2WD.

Driving on those logging roads usually by people that didn’t care about the vehicles, the Yotes would take no where near the punishment the Fords and Chevys would. Again, in their defense, they were not the famous Toyota 4WD’s.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Lol, I looked away for a couple days and missed my opportunity to respond. The keg I have must be the "beveled barrel" type. Pretty large, and I forget what your plan might be with the gas tanks, but in any case, maybe just all-around too large.

And then it all suddenly changed to ammeters...???
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You'll see the artefact of this in the post headers starting on pg. 18, and then Gary mentions moving them from the alternator thread on pg. 19.

Responding to Gary's question that I overlooked:  Gary, can you post a blowup of one of the gels?
I did pretty well finding a font for dad's air cleaner, except for the 'r' as Janey noted.
Let's test my recall of 40 years ago, again!
Maybe my condition can pull through in the clutch?

Edit: wow! Was it really 1/31/2015 ???      *head explodes

You posted there too FoxFord.

Edit 2: print on clear and put the Wal-Mart red gel in first if you don't want to see into the light.
Certainly it will silhouette the opaque printing behind it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
The Taco six didn't have any more power than the four, and drank a lot more gas.

The world spec diesels had plenty of torque (for what they are) and don't need more speed on a jungle path.
So maybe a forestry truck wouldn't get so beat up if those guys couldn't push it so fast?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe I shouldn't use the communal 'we'.

I can only speak for myself.

And I know well enough that there are as many perspectives as people on the internet.

So, I didn't mean to put words in anyone's mouth, and should probably shut my own.

Anyway, those are MY thoughts and I guess I'll drop this now.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FoxFord33
Jim - I don't know when I'm going to have time to shoot a good pic of one of the gels so you can find the font, but I certainly will do it.  And, I do appreciate the offer.

The issue is that things are about to get very BUSY for our family, and in a good way.  We are going to have the whole family together for over a week, and we are in the count-down phase of that right now.  

Steve - It doesn't look like that barrel is going to work.  The max height/girth I want is 8" and those things are much bigger - right?

All - Which takes me to my conversation yesterday with WelderScott and fabricator Ben about tanks and bottles.  (Which, I should add, was cut short by someone coming by and reminding me that we had a meeting about to start.  )  Scott said that he'll give me plenty of the steel oxygen bottles as they've gone over to aluminum and no one wants them. The bottles are maybe 4" in diameter and 24" long, which my calculations say would be 1.3 gallons.  I think I could put 4 of them side-by-side and stack them 2 high for a total of 8 bottles, which would be 10.4 gallons by my calcs.

On the other hand, Ben said he could make one-off tanks of any size.  So, I could design two side-by-side 8" diameter tanks, one ~26" long and one ~36" long.  And my calc's say that would give a total of 13.5 gallons.  I could draw them up on CAD and include the brackets for mounting, probably to the frame, as well as the bungs into which I'd put the various fittings.  And, I could include a skid plate.

And speaking of drawings, Ben said he hopes to get to my bumper soon.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Maybe I shouldn't use the communal 'we'.

I can only speak for myself.

And I know well enough that there are as many perspectives as people on the internet.

So, I didn't mean to put words in anyone's mouth, and should probably shut my own.

Anyway, those are MY thoughts and I guess I'll drop this now.
Jim - I appreciate the thoughts, regardless of how widespread they are.  Thanks.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
An oval tank would GREATLY increase volume in the 8x16" space
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
An oval tank would be limited to the ~26" length.  The 13.5 gallons comes from a 8 x 26" tank of 5.7 gallons and an 8 x 36" tank of 7.8 gallons.  The longer tank is on the outside as it will clear the front spring hanger, and the shorter tank is on the inside and is between the spring hanger and the front of the bed.

A rectangular tank of 8 x 16" x 26" would hold 14.4 gallons.  But that's rectangular and not oval.  So I'm not sure an oval 16 x 26" tank would be any bigger than the two round tanks at 13.5 gallons.  And, it might have to be made of thicker material given the longer run on the top and bottom, so might be heavier overall.  On the other hand, the round tanks have more surface area.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Flat sides (rectangular) have no arch and tend to oilcan.

90* seams are a weakness whether a fold or weld.

Don't think of a box when you think of a pressure vessel.
There is a reason why they are round (least surface area) or oval.(most interior volume in an odd space)

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree fully. But the easiest way to approximate the area of an oval was to use a rectangle. And that is best-case on sizing.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
No.

A 8"cylinder and an 8" square extruded to 26" (or whatever)

V=cylinder + rectangle... minus wall thickness if internal
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes. But I said area. Then I multiplied that by the length. 😉

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And I said V, for volume.  

Area is, of course, circle + square

We bicker like old women, you know that????
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  Yes, we do. And I’m not fully reading/comprehending as I’m at the marina cleaning the boat in order to take the g-twins out for skiing.

This is the first outing for the boat this year due to all the rain and the height of the lake. And some kind soul had unplugged the extension cord to the HF chargers. Fortunately it started.

Then I found that the cooling system has another crack in it. We had the same piece replaced two years ago due to a crack. According to one of the guys here in spite of draining it as Mercruiser says I should turn the engine over after draining it to blow the water out.

But we should be good today as it just goes in the bilge and there’s not a big leak. 😳

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe when you winterize you ought to pump it full of RV antifreeze?

Couldn't hurt the lake, and it'd save you lots of $$ and troubles.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
8x16 oval x 26". = 12.86155844 gal.

And MUCH simpler to fabricate and install than two odd cylinders.
Less welds and material too.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Tack an 8x8" brace as far down as you can reach from each end before welding the caps on.

It will not need to be heavy, and it won't blow up.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim just reminded me via email of this request:

BTW, you asked me to remind you of the indicator gels, and the typeface, before your cruise.
I don't really think it's super important that it matches (well not to the extent of Dad's air cleaner)
But looking like it belongs is always good!

So here are pics from a spare bezel on top and Big Blue on the bottom.  I've included those from Big Blue as they are more accurate to what my eye sees in color.  That's probably because I used an LED grid behind the spares and it either washed the color out by being too bright or too white.

The Emissions label is yellow with black text:

Fasten Seat Belts is black text on a red label:

Brake is also black text on a red label:

4X4 is yellow text on a black label:

And, while I have the spare bezel in-hand:

The tape/labels are .480" wide and fit into a .510" channel.  So printing on 1/2" tape will be perfect.

The openings through which we see the labels are .400" tall and 1.90" wide.

"Emissions" lettering is .150" high by 1.025" wide.

"Brake" lettering is .150" high by .520" long.

And the person w/a seatbelt icon is about .250" wide and tall.

Also, Jim asked "Have you considered printing on clear and putting it behind the frosted red?"  And in thinking about that it might be easiest to print everything on clear and put that behind the appropriate color mask.  (Obviously that won't work for the 4X4 label, but then maybe I won't have to change that?)

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It would work if you simply changed it to a negative before you hit print..,.

Isn't this newfangled desktop publishing thing just the bee's knees?

Assuming emissions becomes "check engine" wouldn't a simple I on be more understandable for the future generations?

I forget what the other light is for.
Let me check...

Jim,
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 369