7362 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 369
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Blue's Transformation

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, it looks like I was wrong.    I saw a website where their pistons were either aluminum or cast iron, and since these weren't iron I assumed they are aluminum.  But, they don't have the ring of aluminum when hit with a tool, so I'd guess they are phenolic.

Anyway, do you folks have a suggestion for good calipers?  I'm not looking for the powder coated ones - unless they are the essentially the same price as uncoated ones of the same caliber.

And, what pads would y'all recommend?

Jim - Remember the totes in which you shipped me all that stuff a couple of years ago?  I've been using ones just like them for storing things and just filled one up with all the parts I'd cleaned from the '95.  Now I have something I cannot lift.    But, I can scoot it and in a tote all that stuff takes up FAR less real estate.  So I'm happy.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I remember going to FedEx and they wouldn't take the one that was pushing #100, so I had to go rearrange parts until they were roughly equal weights.  

You know my opinion on pads already.
I really don't know what's available in calipers but I'll check and get back.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - You said "Motorcraft severe or super duty brake pads. (I forget which)."  I found these that fit the '95.  Might they be what you have?

Motorcraft BRSD655 Front Severe Duty Pad: $37.79

And, I found these:

Bosch BC655 QuietCast Premium Ceramic Front Disc Brake Pad Set: $41.41

Bosch BSD655 655 Severe Duty Disc Brake Pad: $48.33

There isn't enough price difference to choose on price.  Thoughts?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well the '95 pads definitely won't fit my calipers....  
Motorcraft makes both severe and super duty friction material.
They also sell preloaded calipers with both compounds.

I don't have any personal experience with Bosch pads except 30+ years ago in Mercedes and BMW's.
They are a far different company today.
So I can't speak about current offerings.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...Phenolic, or titainium with a ceramic cap are good...
...maybe you should look at Rockauto?...
I believe these to be phenolic. And RockAuto is my first go-to. They have the parts grouped by usage/duty, so you can know what you're getting that way. Just a quick look got this: "What I think you might be looking for"

Scrolling down will take you to more groups of options. The very bottom are ACDelco Heavy Duty, which is a brand I've always felt good using; no problems personally.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Yeah, I know they're phenolic.

Also on that page are the preloaded Motorcraft calipers with regular or super duty pads.
and Raybestos brand calipers with "police duty" pads

The problem I have is that there is a substantial core charge, so you're stuck with the cost of shipping both ways, and the wait for refund.

Edit: I checked my shopping history and find I purchased the BRSD450 severe duty pads and h5572 brake hardware kit in April of '17.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
OABTW, Rockauto offers 2 brands of replacement phenolic pistons for your calipers at ~$5 a piece.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - Thanks. I've looked at Rock Auto's site and those items.  But, like Jim said, the price isn't truly representative of the total cost.  The shipping charge to get the calipers to me is $15/ea, so you actually have to add $30 to the cost of each caliper since I have to return the core.

So, the ACDELCO 18R1148SV's are $111.79 from RA, but with the $30 shipping that makes them $141.79.  However, Amazon has them for $133.45 and free shipping plus a $45 rebate, making them $88.45.  The only downside is that it says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months."  

And while I probably have the kind of time to accept "FREE delivery: July 26 - Sept 9", that's not a very good feeling.  How in the world can they say they "usually ship within 1 to 3 months"?

Anyway, thanks y'all.  Keep those cards and letters coming in as my mind is still open on this.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162856752564
US $138.95 Buy It Now
Shipping: FREE Standard Shipping
Item location: Lynbrook, New York, United States
Estimated on or before Wed. Jun. 19 to 38060

But I'd be shopping for Ford/MotorCraft parts (normal truck pads).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
A caliper rebuild kit is ~ $10.  =$20
Pistons are @$5.                    =$20
Severe duty pads.                  =$37

$77 all in looks like a bargain to me when one caliper is pushing $150 loaded.

Won't take an hour to clean them up and rebuild.

Besides, you have a powder coating setup, you could make them bright red to go with all the suspension bushings and perches!    
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - That's "less bad".  But it is still LOTS of money.  However, with "But I'd be shopping for Ford/MotorCraft parts (normal truck pads)", are you saying go MotorCraft?

Jim - Do you read lips?  

I'm hoping none of the red is left when this is over, save for a few buried poly bushings in the rear, which I can live with.

Anyway, the rebuild idea is looking better and better.  I've never rebuilt one, but I pulled one of these apart today and they are simple.  All I didn't figure out is how the seal is held in.  Is it pressed in?

But, given the simplicity, what is wrong with a Raybestos reman'd caliper, other than price, and that's only ~$44/ea.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I guess the $44 caliper option is fine but that's still 2 trips to the store and still $125 v/s parts delivered to the house for $77

Oh and I was wrong. The kit seems to be four of everything so take $10 off that.

The seals fit into a groove like a snap ring.
And they are trapezoidal in shape, so they distort under pressure and return to shape pulling the piston back when the brakes are released.

The advantage is that you know what condition everything is in rather than relying on a greedy company and a minimum wage worker in Mexico to not 'overlook' some defect.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do you mean the boot? Or the piston seal?

The boot usually just fits like a garter or valve stem seal
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The piston seal.  Does the kit come with the boot that goes over the pins/bolts?

By the way, I like this style of caliper.  The Bullnose style never seems to center properly for me and, therefore, always drags.  But this style should center nicely.

And, the extra 1/2" or so on the rotors should help on the braking.  Unfortunately I have a pair of drilled and slotted rotors that I got from Vernon, NIB, that won't fit because of the extra diameter.  But, I'll wind up selling those at some point.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
No.
The four bolt accordions are another $10 retail (BTW these are all retail, but I get jobber at my LAP)

At least those rotors will cover the cost of whatever new rotors you get for the D60 front end, and maybe the pads a/o the parts to rebuild.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok.  The accordions look good on these calipers, as do the bleed valves and their covers, so I may reuse them.

I not only have the drilled/slotted rotors, but I have fancy blue calipers and Yellow Stuff pads.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Red, yellow, blue....

You need to find the orange, green and purple parts.
You could sell someone the whole spectrum of bullnose spares!

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Google must really be watching because after looking at rotors and calipers on Rockauto yesterday this came up in my YouTube recommendations this morning.

https://youtu.be/78wbht355R8

It's more and more like Brazil or 1984 everyday.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
You may have this, but just in case, I have a 3-legged chuck-able wheel cylinder bore hone for when it comes to rebuild the calipers.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  Janey will look at something and because we share an IP address I'll start seeing advert's for that same thing.  But, 1984 was a good year - at least for trucks.  

1 ... 45678910 ... 369