Behind the seat organizer shelf

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Behind the seat organizer shelf

Danny G
Looks like this metal one Dave has is a DeeZee organizer.

I really like the ones out of the 1982 magazine.

I'm kinda curious if I could replicate that unit. My father in law is a carpenter who makes sneaky little storage options for boats and yacht's. I bet if we put our heads together with a little router work, we can get a nice "wood" model made like this.

On second thought... Yea this is happening, we are building one. It has the added benefit of noise deadening as well.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - Check the page out now: Documentation/Interior/Behind The Seat Storage.

Jonathan - Is Trent serious about selling his?  I might be interested for Big Blue.

Daniel - You could probably sell them if you got neat ones made.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
https://www.americanvan.com/pick-up-truck-backwall-storage-system.html

If you search FTE there are a lot of threads and photos that will give you some ideas if you want to build your own like others have.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - I like that organizer and put a link to it on that page.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm pretty sure I've seen these at my favorite local upfitter's.

On Monday while I'm down in Portchester I'll swing by Marciano's to get a model number and price. (They do mostly Adrian Steel and American Van)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave - Check the page out now: Documentation/Interior/Behind The Seat Storage.

Jonathan - Is Trent serious about selling his?  I might be interested for Big Blue.

Daniel - You could probably sell them if you got neat ones made.  
When I get one done, it may be in late December when I have a break, Ill post it. Would be heavy and a pain to ship. Maybe ill just sell the plans for like $5 on Amazon. I don't have B pillar trim so I have also been booting around a few ideas to make that B pillar dead space into B pillar storage.

I am a Dad of 3, work full time+ and go to school full time, and also am renovating the house and restoring the truck at the same time lol.

BUT I do have CAD software and can create legitimate blueprints for building one. I do this with furniture that I have built (king beds, tables, entertainment centers, storage etc.) Ill keep the joins simple, no rounded tops most likely. That is difficult to do without using metal or formed plastic. 1/2 inch hard wood ply would probably be more than enough if supported properly over that span.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - That would help.  Thanks.  The American Van one appears to be a one-size-fits-all as one guy said it fit his Chevy.  So that worries me about how it'll fit a Ford.  Surely there are difference?

Daniel - The plans would be awesome.  What CAD software are you using?  I use TurboCAD.  Not the best, but it is what I have.

Man, you must be BUSY!  I get tired just thinking about all you must be doing.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Gary Lewis wrote
Daniel - The plans would be awesome.  What CAD software are you using?  I use TurboCAD.  Not the best, but it is what I have.
AutoCAD and CATIA V5
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
TheScatch wrote
AutoCAD and CATIA V5
I wish I had those.  I've seen them used.  But I started with TurboCAD probably 20 years ago due to the price difference and now I can't see paying to get "the big boys".

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
TheScatch wrote
AutoCAD and CATIA V5
I wish I had those.  I've seen them used.  But I started with TurboCAD probably 20 years ago due to the price difference and now I can't see paying to get "the big boys".
Drifting off topic here...but how would you guys say Solidworks compares to those packages?  I ask because I'm interested in learning CAD once I'm done with school, and I was able to pick up Solidworks for free.  
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Jim - That would help.  Thanks.  The American Van one appears to be a one-size-fits-all as one guy said it fit his Chevy.  So that worries me about how it'll fit a Ford.  Surely there are difference?
Gary, I looked over the measurements for the AV 1size fits all and it was the same size as what I posted 53" wide & 15" high.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dorsai wrote
Drifting off topic here...but how would you guys say Solidworks compares to those packages?  I ask because I'm interested in learning CAD once I'm done with school, and I was able to pick up Solidworks for free.
SolidWorks is a great program, and if you can get it for free that's a no-brainer.  Having said that, I've not used it, but I've seen it used.  Both of my nephews use it for some serious stuff.

FuzzFace2 wrote
Gary, I looked over the measurements for the AV 1size fits all and it was the same size as what I posted 53" wide & 15" high.
Dave ----
Thanks, Dave.  I missed your post.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Gary Lewis wrote
SolidWorks is a great program, and if you can get it for free that's a no-brainer.  Having said that, I've not used it, but I've seen it used.  Both of my nephews use it for some serious stuff.
Cool, sounds like it won't be a waste of my time to learn it, then.  As a Georgia Tech student I have access to a *lot* of software at no additional cost, so I'm going to make the most of it before I'm through.  Plus Dominic's engineering class apparently uses SolidWorks as well, so that's another reason to have it on hand.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
TheScatch wrote
AutoCAD and CATIA V5

I started in Catia V5, way harder to get into then Auto CAD. It is geared more towards 3d modeling.

Never used turbo CAD. I got V5 and AutoCAD at no cost. AutoCAD gives students free access while in school. After I finished classes with Dessault reps a friend gave me Catia.
Reply | Threaded
|

stevenscoffee
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I found this online,

www.americanvan.com/pick-up-truck-backwall-storage-system.html
1985 F150 short bed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, I think Jim/ArdWrknTrk was going to go by a place that carries those today and get some pics and measurements.  Looks like it might be a viable alternative.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Jerry says everyone is driving four door pickups these days and he hasn't sold one of those in a long time.
He gets $100, would sell me for $76, and charges $50 to install.

When I asked how he deals with fastening he said he can rivet them in, but suggests (and prefers) using industrial 'velcro', like you use for EZ-Pass.
Hard plastic mushrooms on both sides, 3M's finest...

Velcro is a portmanteau of velour and crochet, so it's not really velcro, as there is no nap, or hooks.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Velcro is a portmanteau of velour and crochet [...]
Huh!  7:38am and I’ve already learned my new thing for the day!  
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
My autism leaves me a font of minuteae that few really need or care about.

Glad I was able to leave a tidbit you could appreciate!  

ETA: Would you believe that the inventor was Swiss and came up with the idea because of the burrs stuck in the coat of his Spaniel when out hunting?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Velcro is a portmanteau of velour and crochet [...]
Huh!  7:38am and I’ve already learned my new thing for the day!  
I've got you beat by 3 minutes!  Learned something new today.