Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Battery Cable Sizing

Gary Lewis
Administrator
kramttocs wrote
This is closer to it.
The isolator I am using is a 'smart' one that only connects the batteries when the main battery is above 13.2v and disconnects them when it drops below 12.7v.

Again, not saying it's an ideal system for everyone and every situation though. It just satisfies what I want regarding unmodified factory wiring, easy/clean reverting back to stock, and easy elimination of non-core functions if needed.
Yep, me too.  And while I know you remember it, Scott, there's the forced-parallel switch that allows you to temporarily parallel the batteries if you have the need.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
And thanks again for recommending this specific isolator Gary - really fits the bill. Mine should be arriving any day now.

Since it's related to the topic, I picked up a set of RFDB1 (Rockford Fosgate) battery terminals to try and make the battery hookup easier/cleaner. I really like my current Monster Cable ones that have a bolt to attach the cable end terminal so they will get moved to Chanute. On the RF's the battery cable slides in and a set screw tightens it down so will have to see how well that works but the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. They were delivered today and are definitely solid.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Started making the cables the other day. The magna lugs with the 16ton crimper come out really nice.

My issue is with the PMGR starter battery terminal. It is located close enough to the solenoid terminal that the magnalugs are too wide. Really, anything I find for 1/0 is too wide.
The smallest QuickCables offers is .73 for 1/0.

I need something in the 5/8 width range so that I can then have something in the 3/8 range for the solenoid (#10 wire) terminal.

Does such a ring exist?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer.
I reused my starter cable (that had just been replaced because of my ongoing starter woes)

3/8" seems kind of wide for 10Ga.
Again, I used the eylet pigtail that came with the starter.
It had a yellow marine shrink insulated butt splice already attached.

The only cables I ended up making were alternator to fuse and fuse to lug.
I got the solder pellet lugs and red shrink tube from RJM.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I don't have an answer either.  Haven't gotten that far on Big Blue, and heretofore I've used the cable that was on it, but do plan to put new ones on that I make.  So hope you solve this one.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks guys.

3/8 was the measurement of the ring from the jumper wire I picked up at the same time that I ordered the starter (wasn't sure if I wasn't going to keep the factory wiring setup or not). That measurement may be a little wider than the ring but I want to give myself some room for the rubber covers.

The instructions that come with the starter list a few gauges depending upon length and 1/0 is one of them so seems like there is a solution out there.

Waiting on a call back from them now.
Scott