Another Flareside: "Silver"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
101 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Another Flareside: "Silver"

salans7
Yesterday, the girl running register at Taco Bell kept telling me "Yes sir" when she took my order. As polite as I could possibly be, I asked her how old she was, and when she told me 17, I told her I was only ten years older than her and that "Sir" wasn't necessary.

But anyways, that Flareside was a nice truck, but I'm sure the silver one will end up just as nice!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by SCFlareside
Congratulations! The black truck was gorgeous, but I can’t wait to see what you do with this one... I’m sure it will be even better 🙂
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
Thanks all!  LOL at the "Come to the Flare Side" never saw that

Appreciate the encouragement Jonathan!
1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
YOU DONT KNOW THE POWER OF THE FLARE SIDE!!!
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Ha! Preach!
Your 30's is when you get everything done! It's a very busy time. A lot of life growth...a lot of career growth, house and home...family...it's just a very busy time.
Funny thing about age...and this forum...but I rarely think of anybody's ages on here. It just kind of feels like we are all the same. I very much appreciate the experience of all the guys that have years on me, but at the same time I don't ever think of anybody as an old guy or a young guy. Kinda weird I guess.

I'll be 48 in a few weeks and I still feel pretty young.
The very first time I was offered "senior discount" for my coffee, I was offended. Now, I just say, "thank you!"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I remember eating at Taco Bell in about 2007 when I was about 60.  Paid and got to the table and looked at the bill.  Sure enough, we'd been given a senior discount.

That didn't bother me, but it did my date.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I remember eating at Taco Bell in about 2007 when I was about 60.  Paid and got to the table and looked at the bill.  Sure enough, we'd been given a senior discount.

That didn't bother me, but it did my date.  
They probably thought Janey was your daughter!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Ray Cecil wrote
I dunno Cory. Im 34. Not young, not old. Im at that weird inbetween stage. Im old enough to be going bald, so dont you dare tell me im a youngin. Youngins these days wear nut hugger jeans, and look like girls, talk like girls, and get offended about everything. They are also narcissists and think their opinions matter. ......I need a stiff drink......
Ha! Preach!
Your 30's is when you get everything done! It's a very busy time. A lot of life growth...a lot of career growth, house and home...family...it's just a very busy time.
Funny thing about age...and this forum...but I rarely think of anybody's ages on here. It just kind of feels like we are all the same. I very much appreciate the experience of all the guys that have years on me, but at the same time I don't ever think of anybody as an old guy or a young guy. Kinda weird I guess.

I'll be 48 in a few weeks and I still feel pretty young.

You ain't lying. At 34 I am busier than I have ever been. And the wife wants another kid
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ray Cecil wrote
Ray I am a huge SW fan, yall are going to make me get another truck so I have a flare side and a styleside.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I like the red poster but it is missing a little white and a rear fuel door

Yes the black truck was stunning and I am sure the silver one will be even better.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
That's why the poster looked familiar!!!  LOL yes it needs to be two tone.

Did I say yet this month that I love those turbine wheels on your truck?
1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s
Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
Update:

So the more I look at the original wood bed on this truck, the more I'm thinking of trying to save it.  Maybe its ne, but - I think its awfully rare to see, and its hung in there this long.  

There is only one spot where its soft and rotted through: passenger rear by the tailgate.  Maybe I can piece in a small section of plywood, or sandwich a small bit of 1/4 underneath and use an epoxy / wood restoration product.

Could paint the rest of the truck shiny new, but treat the rust and leave the inside of the bed original to show the trucks journey.

Appreciate any thoughts or brainstorms!

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
It is your truck... do what you want and follow your dreams!
Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
Will try working with the wood a bit.  It shows all three layers:  factory silver paint around the edges, primer and then worn down to wood in the middle.  Could maybe send it just enough to clean it up and then try preserving with some tung oil.

Hey I can always pull it out... cant put it back though

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
 Just going back to what it looks like currently...

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
This guy kept the patina on his Land Cruiser, by cleaning with with CLR... then treating with rust converter and boiled linseed oil.  

I'm thinking that I may try the same.  The silver on the bed might contrast with the darker treated rust areas... bed strips will need to be treated, and then if I can preserve and oil the wood.  Might look kind of cool and interesting, and be a bit of a time capsule.

Then again maybe I shouldn't care about an original wood bed.  Just seems like it may be one of the last dinosaurs :)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/d6da03e0-58cc-4ed7-b2e0-8e7569163856-jpeg.1813249/

Preserved Cruiser

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Ken, I’m late to the party but I just wanted to say I think you are on the right track with the boiled linseed oil. My dad is a woodworker so I’ve been around that trade all of my life. Wood is a horribly wrong material to make a truck bed out of, ha ha, but that choice having been made 35 years ago by Ford.... let’s move on... linseed will soak into the wood and then polymerize which is about the best protection you are going to get. Anything that forms a film will wear off and crack as the wood shrinks and swells with humidity. Non polymerizing oils are not very durable and will remain oily and will rub off on whatever you haul. I would suggest leaving the finish as oiled wood so that you can periodically re coat it to maintain it. Naturally keeping the wood dry as much as possible will help it to last.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Another Flareside: "Silver"

SCFlareside
This post was updated on .
Hey Jonathan!  Thanks for weighing in on this.  Just last night I was out puttering with a few small spots on the bed. CLR cleared up the inside really well, and it looks like there's could be an interesting color progression on the wood and bed strips from front to back.

That said, I hit some spots on the wood with 0000 steel wool, and the colors that ARE left are pretty thin.  I'll need to be careful.

I did a spot near the tailgate, left of center with a little boiled linseed oil.  Freaked out a bit at how dark it looked, but then i sanded on it with steel wool and it lightened up a lot, to a brown tone.

Would like to try and keep the silver - primer - wood progression showing, wondering if I'd be better off trying something really clear?  Thompsons water seal with no color?  Will probably keep working with the BLO.

Thanks for the wisdom.  Doing my best but not sure what I'm doing :)  will post pics

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Another Flareside: "Silver"

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thompson's Water Seal is just parafin wax diluted in mineral spirits.
It doesn't polymerize, and it doesn't offer much more protection than paste wax, other than being thinned out enough to soak in.
Of course this means it won't fill pores to block ingress like Butcher's, Johnson or Liberon paste wax will either.

Long term, what you need is something that offers UV protection.
Ultraviolet breaks down the lignin that binds hemi-cellulose into wood.
The silvery, stringy appearance of weathered wood is due to the lignin being gone, and the cell(ulose) structure being exposed.

Often UV is shielded by non-organic pigments (stain), but there are transparent UV blockers available for wood finishing.
Finding one that isn't film forming -like Spar Varnish- is a challenge.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.