classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice on Sensor Wiring Harness/Splices

ckuske
Administrator
No worries, thank you Bill!  Good luck on your hunt at the Pick-n-Pull!

I'll let you all know if the connector I *think* it is works out or not.  It's in the mail from eBay this morning.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Well, my theory was correct!  I got my connector off eBay and WPT-597 is the correct one!  Got a new solenoid as well for $15, seemed worth it.  I'll replace the hoses to/from the solenoid while I am at it.

I have the other wiring pretty much stripped/prepped to be soldered, but is has been about 95 degrees in my garage this week so I worked on it as much as I planned (I should be used to that by now)

I hope to post finished pics soon... the heat is now sticking around for the rest of the week.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
The wire on the connector was skinnier than the old connecter - maybe 20 or 22 gauge.  Definitely thinner.  So I took the pins out of the new connector and am going to solder thicker wires onto the pins... don't want any nasty surprises where the solenoid is flaky or something because not enough current is getting to it...
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good plan, Chris.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
OK, I have 7 of the 9 wires done.  I have found a couple more thermactor solenoid wires that could use the same treatment.  Those connectors are in pretty bad shape also, I found these online and ordered a few even if they were pretty pricey... ($30 each!)

I also noted the MAP sensor connector is not great.  I cannot find this same one in the Motorcraft catalog, and I've looked in the MPC and can't find it?  Is anyone willing to help find it to see if there is a Motorcraft part ID associated with it? (WPT-XXX style)  The engineering number is E43B-14A464-FB

Pics below, thank you!

I feel like I'm beginning to understand how a surgeon feels when they open someone up and get more than they bargained for...
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That plug looks very much like the D shaped regulator connector of a 3G alternator without the key on the side.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Jim,

Yes, it does!  And, it looks about the same size.  The only other difference is the oval surround near the pins instead of rectangular, but the oval shouldn't cause a problem.  I had actually found this connector in the catalog - WPT-119.  Here's a link... I guess with Amazon's return policy I don't have much to lose but a little time!

I still have a few more connectors to do that didn't have the major wire damage, but all the biggies are done.  Just ran the KOEO test and it passed! (Code 11).  I'm a happy guy at the moment.  This is what keeps you going, just like an occasional hit on a slot machine haha.

Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I really can't say about the pitch or size of the pins themselves.
It also appears that the latch is on the opposite side of the D.
Perhaps being oval at the pins will allow it to latch anyhow?

But the pigtail itself is common enough and not expensive.
Let us know if it fits.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
Excited for you that your harness is 'right' enough that you are getting a KOEO pass!

Congratulations!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's on passing the test.  

I'll see if I can come up with the part number for the connector tomorrow.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't find E43B-14A464-FB in the 1985 cross reference, which is where it should be given the "E4" means 1984.  And my '91 cross ref starts with E5.  (I really need to find an '86 or '87ish cross ref.)  Sorry.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for looking Gary, always appreciate a sanity check.  

I'll keep my eyes out for one, maybe it'll pop up on eBay or something.  In the meantime, it will be fine the way it is.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck.  I wish I could find it and don't understand why it isn't in the cross ref.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks Gary, I'm hunting!

In the meantime, I got two of the connectors I wanted to replace in the mail from Rockauto.  These are WPT-374 in the Motorcraft catalog.  I appreciate the diligence of Ford Engineering, but the bad news is only of the two connectors fit into the two solenoids on the passenger side (sitting on the valve cover).  The WPT-374 fits on the Thermactor Air Bypass Solenoid but not the Thermactor Air Divertor Solenoid.  The connector key is on the wrong side for the latter.

Basically I need the same connector but with the key on the right hand side of the connector, not the left (key on the left works/fits for Air Bypass)

I just poked around and see a partial number on the offending connector: "14489 BA" (no dash).  Help?  I can't find it doing a 10 minute Google.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I looked on the better connector (where the replacement fits) and that is D84B-14489-AA.  So I'm assuming the other side is D84B-14489-BA.

I'm hoping there is a "R/B" for these?  Coming up short.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I have to take a second look but I guess I can shave off the key on the wrong side - I'd still be better off than I am right now...
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This time I was able to find numbers:

Engineering/ID #   Part Number
D84B-14489-AA        D84Y 14489-A
D84B-14489-BA        D84Y 14489-B

Hope that helps.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks Gary!  More unobtainium though, drat!  Found them one place online in Canada but they said they were out of stock.

Thank you for looking!
Chris