classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Advice On Dealing With RockAuto

Machspeed
Administrator
Hey friends, would appreciate your thoughts and comments?

My wife ordered me some ACC carpet for Christmas through RockAuto. Prior to her ordering it, I requested samples directly through ACC. From those samples, I had her order a med gray. After prepping my floor pans yesterday, I took the carpet out to my shop to find that it looks green. It's actually a greenish gray, but more green. And, it does not appear to match the color of the sample. Totally disappointed! I went on the RockAuto website, typed in my wife's email and order number and they show no returns after 30 days. I could not seem to find a direct number or even an alternative contact info.

As such, I contacted ACC, explained my situation and they said I must go through RockAuto. I re-stated that I got the samples through them and they do not appear to match the carpet. Go back to RockAuto, was their response. This is going to be a mess.

I've been back on the RockAuto website and I can't seem to find even a way to contact them to explain my situation. They provide no phone number, stating that's how they keep prices low. Can't find an email either. Thoughts? There has got to be a way to contact them...........
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Advice On Dealing With RockAuto

85lebaront2
Administrator
Try this:
RockAuto, LLC Corporate Headquarters
6418 Normandy Lane
Suite 100
Madison, WI 53719
1-608-661-1376
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by Machspeed
If you ultimately can't get a hold of them, as a last resort you can dispute the charge with your credit card company (if you paid with a CC). You usually have 6 months to dispute the charges. They may also purchase protection that extends the return period or offers credit for items that the seller won't allow you to return.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
There was a lengthy thread on FTE recently about a dispute over something with RockAuto...an incorrect part, and I believe that guy said that there is literally no one to talk to. A return or warranty claim must be done by email, and even the responses and process are all automated...so even then, you're dealing with AI, and not real people. I order a lot from RockAuto and so far my luck with them has been very good. I suppose that will end one of these days.

So I'm really no help John, sorry. Maybe list it up for sale in the meantime and see if you can flip it at a minimal loss and order a different carpet.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I had one problem with them 8 or 9 years ago. I ordered a range position switch for my E4OD which came from a 1990 F250. Ford has a TSB (which I didn't see first) reflecting a change due to water intrusion in the older switches. They sent me the 1990 switch which, of course, did not match the 1995 transmission harness I was using. I contacted them, included a copy of the TSB and essentially got "too bad, you ordered it" from them. FWIW, all Rock Auto is, like Amazon, a reseller that buys in quantity and sends the order with a shipping label to the actual source.

Amazon was funny the other day, I ordered a Hayes Genesis brake controller from etrailer.com as Amazon did not have it, they had other Hayes controllers, but not the Genesis. etrailer.com did not have the recommended pigtail to make it plug-n-play on my 2009 Flex limited with the factory tow package. I went back to Amazon, with the Hayes PN and sure enough they had it. The little window "be sure this fits your vehicle" came up. According to Amazon the PN from the manufacturer "doesn't fit your vehicle" most likely because a key question wasn't asked "with factory tow package?" I ordered it anyway and it, of course plugs right in to the provided 6 pin plug.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Well, I just attempted to call RockAuto and they send me through a loop and back to the web page for returns. They state again in their phone message that they don't take phone calls. This is BS! My wife ordered this as a Christmas present 11/27 and I opened it 12/25. A couple more days and it's out of the no return date. I can't even make my case with them and I'm not going to take a $300 pop in the mouth on it. What an outrage!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My review of RA in Marketplace/Vender Reviews & Ratings says:

At one time I swore off RA because they sent me the wrong heater core - in spite of me calling and asking specifically that they pull the core from the box and ensure it was the right one.  That was because the manufacturer was putting the wrong core in the right box.  They agreed to do that but didn't and I got the wrong one.  Then they would only give me a store credit - even though it was their fault.  Plus, they didn't have the right core in stock to ship to me.

However, subsequently I've learned that their catalog is an excellent tool with which to find parts.  And their prices are pretty good, although Amazon frequently beats them.  But returns are still a problem, so I'm only giving them a 4-star rating.

I buy from RA, but only things that I know are the right part.  And they aren't my favorite vendor, for sure.  If you have a problem, you have a problem.  And it would appear that you have a real PROBLEM.  Sorry, John.  Don't know what to tell you.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I had very bad issues with Rockauto with my ac system.   I will only use rock auto if i absolutely have to.         but to be honest, you arent going to get anywhere with them because its been after 30 days.  I had the same issue with some wrong ac hoses that i didn't install until about 60 or so days later.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Tyler
 I have sworn off these guys.  Same issues with no contact or customer service.   Wasted so much money reordering from a second vendor on several occasions.
1985 F150 4x4 SB 300 I6: Comp 268 cam, '68 240 head, Offy DP, FI manifolds, Holley Sniper 2300, DUI street/strip distributor, BW T-18, Tuff Country 4" suspension lift, Yukon Offroad hubs + front and rear Duragrip LSD 3.73 ratio, 33-12.5/15s

Gear Vendors overdrive unit on order.

Oklahoma boy livin in Washington State.  Retired submarine MMNCM (Nuclear Machinist's Mate, Master Chief)
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Just an update on this thread. I found an email, though questionable, to email Rockauto which I did. At the same time I was also in conversation with ACC and I was letting them know that I was not happy with green carpet when I ordered gray. Told them they boxed it and sent it to Rockauto who intern sent it to me. Told them they needed to re-evaluate that color and that they would be hearing more from me on the matter. Don't know if ACC contacted Rockauto or if Rockauto looked at my pictures and story and agreed with my complaint. But, Rockauto sent me a return notification. I'll be paying shipping fees back and possibly a re-stocking fee but at this point I'm glad I made it this far. Live and learn!

I want to say too, this has been the only issue I've ever had with Rockauto and I've ordered lots. I may still do business with them but I will closely inspect everything that comes from them and ensure that I got what I ordered and that it works prior to the 30 day no return policy.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - That’s great news!  Sure glad to see that.

I agree that RA has good pricing, but you’d better make sure you know what you are buying and inspect it immediately upon arrival ‘cause their customer service is next to non-existent.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That’s good. And as Tyler said I’ve spent some money with RA because of mistakes.

I feel it’s cheaper to buy local and support them and return face to face, or mask to mask!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
I hope this doesn't happen to me. I did exactly the same thing, samples from ACC and bought from RA. I haven't opened the box yet, been in the to do pile for 9 months at least. Hopefully this spring I can get to the interior.
IF I have the correct color.  LOL
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I hope not.  But if it does you know who to contact.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I replaced an alternator on a little 94 Ranger a few months ago, and got a call yesterday that the truck was doing funny things and dying when you removed the battery cable. The truck was at 11.4 volts while running, so I took the alternator off so they could have it tested at the local parts store in hopes that if it tests bad, the test slip will help them with their return to RockAuto. I thought of this thread the entire time I was working on the truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sure you know, but everything with an alternator dies if you pull the cable off the battery.  Back when we had generators that wasn't the case, but 'tis now.

As for dealing with RA, good luck!  Let us know how it goes, please.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Dunno, didn't try it personally, just posted what they told me. I test alternators by checking voltage to the battery, and at the alternator stud. If it fails that test, they go to the parts store to be tested on the fancy tester.

Maybe they fried the alternator/voltage regulator by removing the battery cable while it was running? Didn't even think about that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
There is a way to contact Rock Auto via email, I have done it before, but I find myself doing less and less business with them and more and more using them as a source to locate part numbers for what I am looking for.

I did get my walker tail pipe for my truck from them, wasnt right not due to Rock Auto but due to walker making it in a smaller than OE stock 2" instead of the 2 1/4" the tail pipe was from the factory.  I had to go a year newer to a 83-86 that is 2 1/4" but it has the hanger that uses a rubber doughnut while my truck used the bolt on plate that was '82 only.  My plan was to cut the bracket off the first tail pipe that is correct and weld it onto the second tail pipe I got to use my OE hanger without modifications to my truck.

Wont be doing that now so I am stuck with the second tail pipe I cant send back without paying out of pocket, at least it was cheap enough and maybe I will use it I dont know all I know is I am heavily leaning towards the Bassani off road Y pipe for the 86-96 trucks that is 3".

I also noticed summit is getting pretty bad with their returns as well.  Bought a carb from them for my driver while my truck is down, it didnt work, car wouldnt idle in gear but drove fine and I found out the passengerside idle circuit was dead and no amount of reving the engine up to 2,500 - 3,000 and closing the choke manually to create a suction to clear the passage out worked.  I called them up and I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to send me a replacement carb out and I would return the one they had.  They wanted me to mail mine back in and they would then ship a replacement out which would take 3 to 4 weeks.  Which was unacceptable in my book since I wouldnt be able to go to work for 3 to 4 weeks because of their faulty product they sold.  I find myself doing more business with jegs than Summit now cause I been loyal to them and first my cylinder heads I tried to order from them custom and they were to call me back with pricing with the upgrades and they jerked me around for an entire week, called jegs and got the order placed with upgrades in one phone call that lasted 15 minutes tops.  Then one of their managers offered to make it right with me over that as they have the phone logs of me calling in 3 times that week trying to order these $1,800 heads.  He offered to sell me the blueprint 306 short block I was looking at, at $2,099.99 instead of $2,499.99.  I emailed him back the next day after accepting that offer and telling him I would have to order it at a later date as I dont have the room in my garage just yet.  I asked him if there would be extra for a lift gate delivery and never heard back from him.  I think I am done with Summit as well.  Seems like all these auto part places once they get this big like summit or Rock Auto they go with the whole horrible customer service.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

6.9-250
I live in Canada and frequently order from RA.  They are consistently about half price from local, including shipping and exchange.  They also have many parts I cannot even get locally (I still have several Tempo/Topaz)

I order knowing that you cannot call anyone and any issues may be tough to deal with.  For items with a core charge, there is often an option to order new for around the same price - so that's what I do.  They do offer to use their shipping rates for returns, which would help.

I had a bad wheel bearing from them.  Working through the questions, I was able to return it for a refund.  If I recall correctly, they paid for the shipping.  So not a bad experience except for the lost time to order another another one (not their fault as they did not make the bearing).
1985 Ford F-250, 6.9L, Auto C6, 4x4 208F, Extended Cab
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Your experience with a Walker tailpipe is reminiscent of my experience years ago on my 1971 Colony Park. It wasn't Walker but I believe it was Goerlick (don't remember the spelling) who make the mufflers for Midas. I needed a tailpipe for the big beast, only engine options for the 1971 Colony Park were, 351 2V, 429 2V and 429 4V. Car had a 429 2V when I bought it to replace a 1970 1/2 Falcon wagon my oldest son destroyed (hooked a bumper on a parked car with the right rear wheel well, ripping it open into the spare tire well).

The Colony Park, even though it is a Mercury, is on the Ford wagon body/chassis so is shorter than the Mercury Sedans. Some marketing genius decided to consolidate the tailpipes for the wagons. As a result they now only had a 1 7/8" tail pipe. If my memory on it is right, the Ford wagon with the 240 engine had a 1  1/2", the 302/351 engines had a 1 7/8" and the 390 and 429 had a 2 1/4". This would cut my exhaust cross section down by almost 3/4. When I asked how it was supposed to fit in a muffler made for a 2 1/4" pipe, I got you'll had to use an adapter.

I went to the shop right next to the parts store and had them put duals on it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile