classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice On Dealing With RockAuto

Rusty_S85
85lebaront2 wrote
Your experience with a Walker tailpipe is reminiscent of my experience years ago on my 1971 Colony Park. It wasn't Walker but I believe it was Goerlick (don't remember the spelling) who make the mufflers for Midas. I needed a tailpipe for the big beast, only engine options for the 1971 Colony Park were, 351 2V, 429 2V and 429 4V. Car had a 429 2V when I bought it to replace a 1970 1/2 Falcon wagon my oldest son destroyed (hooked a bumper on a parked car with the right rear wheel well, ripping it open into the spare tire well).

The Colony Park, even though it is a Mercury, is on the Ford wagon body/chassis so is shorter than the Mercury Sedans. Some marketing genius decided to consolidate the tailpipes for the wagons. As a result they now only had a 1 7/8" tail pipe. If my memory on it is right, the Ford wagon with the 240 engine had a 1  1/2", the 302/351 engines had a 1 7/8" and the 390 and 429 had a 2 1/4". This would cut my exhaust cross section down by almost 3/4. When I asked how it was supposed to fit in a muffler made for a 2 1/4" pipe, I got you'll had to use an adapter.

I went to the shop right next to the parts store and had them put duals on it.
Thats what upset me cause its like jesus I have to modify my truck to make the correct size pipe work by changing hangers or just use an adapter to reduce the size down but then that will make the tail pipe longer as you cant exactly move the muffler forward if you are using the OE muffler hanger so now ill have a tail pipe sticking out further back than it should and the arch wont be right where the rear axle tube is.

Right now I am looking at Bassani, trying to find some photos and feed back from people who installed them as I am seriously considering going with that instead, sure its 3" single but all the reading ive done a 3" single is no different than running true dual 2 1/4" pipes which is about the largest youd want for a 302.  Im just glad I am doing all this digging and research first, sure it cost me some money having parts I wont be using but those parts are considerably cheaper than the actual Y pipe itself which in stainless steel from Magnaflow is $534 with converters as you cant get it without anymore or the larger off road non converter Bassani for $322.14.  So I am glad I didnt buy those Y pipes yet the $30 OE Y pipe and $100 jegs Off road Y pipe I got isnt a big deal in my book I can always toss those up for sale at a local swap meet or on ebay if need be as they are brand new never used.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 6.9-250
6.9-250 wrote
I live in Canada and frequently order from RA.  They are consistently about half price from local, including shipping and exchange.  They also have many parts I cannot even get locally (I still have several Tempo/Topaz)
Same experience here. Rock Auto is often half the price of local in Canada, and sometimes only a third of the price of local. Shocking really. I even find that their shipping has gotten faster in the last while. I can order as late as Sunday afternoon, and still have the parts on my doorstep by Thursday. That's impressive. They often ship to me from a warehouse in Upstate NY, but I recently had a part shipped from California (the opposite end of the continent from me in NS) and I still had the item in 5 days.

I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of parts from them the past few years and I haven't had anything wrong yet. The way I see it is if (when?) they do me wrong, it will probably have been worth it.

Still, all good things come to an end...lol, so they will eventually sent me a wrong part.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I ordered a rebuilt ZF power steering pump for my project car, the old one was completely shot. The rebuilt didn't work either so I notified them, they required I pre-pay for the replacement, and as soon as they got the defective one back and the rebuilder (A1 Cardone) verified the defect, I would receive a credit. They did, Cardone verified it was bad and the credit was issued. I still have the core as the return shipping is more than it's value and RA essentially said it wasn't worth returning.

I have gotten a number of parts for the Chrysler from them, valve lash adjusters, injectors, Champion spark plugs, hoses etc.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Wow, this thread is stilling banging. Sent my carpet back today and it cost me $8 using their shipping discount. I was expecting $40. I'm okay with it. We'll advise on what was put back on my CC. So far, not the total nightmare that I was expecting.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
ACC has an excellent reputation. My bet is that they're eating it for you, and this will cost Rock Auto nothing. Either way, you're getting the credit you deserve for a part that didn't match their sample.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I never did show a picture of the carpet that I received. Again, this was supposed to be med. gray but it looks more like a med green. Imagine the disappointment I felt when I unfolded it. This was one of the pictures I sent to both RA and ACC. Glad whomever was understanding.  

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Not even close to me!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E