classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC Heater HVAC Climate Control Panel Assembly

Machspeed
Administrator
Hey friends, need to work on the AC and my control panel assembly is toast. What I am in need of is the white core for which everything attaches to. Is that piece available? I looked on LMC's website but nothing. Part number on it is E4TH-18532-AA

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC Heater HVAC Climate Control Panel Assembly

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - First, any number on a Ford part is not a part number.  Has been that way since 1966.  It is an ID or Engineering #.  

And, the MPC doesn't show any parts of of the controls, other than the switches, so I think you'll have to find a new/replacement control.  Here's the entry from our page at Documentation/HVAC/HVAC Systems with the part numbers.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I fixed mine with epoxy and fiberglass.
Do think it's stronger now than when it left the factory, but I had to add a bent washer with a zip tie through it to hold the cable sheath in place.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I have one you are welcome to for shipping. You can have the whole unit or just the white portion, whichever you prefer. Came from an 86 F250 300 with a/c and dual tanks so will be the same as the one in your photo. If you do swap out the white, Ford actually had little clips that attached the faceplate for dealer a/c units. That's an option if you can find them otherwise button head bolts should work fine. Might be able to tap the white plastic and forgo the nuts.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Scott, I would be very appreciative for that component. Thank you so much! I'll email you here shortly from the forum.

Thanks fellas!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Scott, I tried to email you through the forum, even sending one back to myself, but I received a message undeliverable notification on both accounts. If you don't mind, can you email me direct and I'll discuss details and provide my shipping address. My email address is: aquamach@yahoo.com

Gary, not sure what is going on here, maybe I'm doing something wrong but since signing on, I've never been able to email someone on the forum. Also, I'm not able to follow certain threads when I click the box below that states, "Alert me by email when someone posts to this thread". Thoughts???
John

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Email sent so you can remove it from the previous post if you'd like.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Machspeed wrote
Scott, I tried to email you through the forum, even sending one back to myself, but I received a message undeliverable notification on both accounts. If you don't mind, can you email me direct and I'll discuss details and provide my shipping address. My email address is: aquamach@yahoo.com

Gary, not sure what is going on here, maybe I'm doing something wrong but since signing on, I've never been able to email someone on the forum. Also, I'm not able to follow certain threads when I click the box below that states, "Alert me by email when someone posts to this thread". Thoughts???
Do you have an ad blocker running?  I've seen lots of weird problems with them running.  And since we don't have ads maybe you could turn it off if it is on?  If not I'll do more checking.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
That HVAC panel is quite easy to find NOS on ebay.  I found many of those when I was hunting for an NOS one for my '82 truck which was non AC along with having the blue/white/red colored squares over the triangle.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Question for you guys that have serviced/disassembled these units. Can the face plate be removed safely? Can I simply grind away the white plugs and then the face plate can be removed? Did you use screws to re-attach it?

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yes - that is actually how some of the dealer ac faceplates worked so they could just swap them out per application. Those used 4 little clips with dimples that snap around the face place and main unit, with the dimples catching in the holes. I ground the white melted plugs away on mine and then used some of those clips I found in the jy. I don't see why button head bolts or screws wouldn't work. Clearance shouldn't be an issue.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
kramttocs wrote
Yes - that is actually how some of the dealer ac faceplates worked so they could just swap them out per application. Those used 4 little clips with dimples that snap around the face place and main unit, with the dimples catching in the holes. I ground the white melted plugs away on mine and then used some of those clips I found in the jy. I don't see why button head bolts or screws wouldn't work. Clearance shouldn't be an issue.
Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought you were one of the people that had taken one of these apart, but I wasn't sure where to find the info. I checked the fitment up against the center/radio bezel and there's lots of room for some button heads...a good 1/4" gap there I'd say.

I want to take the face plate off and see if I can clean/polish it so that it looks a little better. I also need to experiment with covering the dual fuel tank text and switch and see how good (or bad) it looks. I'm sure I can put some black tape over it but I think it will bother me even if nobody else notices it...lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Looking forward to see how the polishing goes. Hmm yeah not sure about how to hide the fuel tank switch. Fortunately it seems like the early 'blocky temp' style held up better against fading so if you need to find a replacement it shouldn't be too hard finding a good one.
Shame it's not easy to scrape off the text or you could repurposed that switch for some accessory.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
An overlay might be an option. When you get into their FAQ, apparently they will make them in black if requested (and for a fee, of course). I have asked the question, so will just wait now and see what the reply is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-Ford-F150-F250-F350-Truck-White-Heater-Control-Switch-Overlay-HVAC/401144834057?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Dug up an email from last year. Here is the response I got. I asked what the min quantity would be but doesn't look like I heard back. Their white quality looks nice.

"I was asking about quantity because we have a minimum on custom work like this. I think your best option would be to get a used one off of eBay. You can get a pretty new one that isn't too expensive."

Maybe things have changed though and now there is more demand 🤞
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Resurrecting an old thread, would anybody be interested in a new front plate for their 80-87 vehicle? Mine is cracked and probably not recoverable so I'm getting quotes on having it laser-cut. I can't just buy a replacement because I apparently have an aftermarket unit with an unusual layout:

But all of these plates have the same approximate dimensions. Rather than using the wrong plate, or one of those aftermarket ones that don't give you the same "look", I thought the important thing is to have the panel itself. Given that and a color laser printer, you could print the design you need on a transparency sheet or heavy-weight paper and get a pretty nice look in the end.

If anybody is interested let me know. I'm going to do this for myself anyway, but if I know others might want them, I might have some quantity of these cut as a batch. I'm not looking to make a buck here, just figuring out if I should order 1-2... or 20.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That's really neat! Due to how these fade I bet you'd have some takers (myself included). Would be best if you can get one made and post some photos so people will know what to expect.

There were a few variations based on truck options as well as the dealer HVAC. They even changed the order of the selections (like vent, mix, etc) in 83
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
I also need to experiment with covering the dual fuel tank text and switch and see how good (or bad) it looks. I'm sure I can put some black tape over it but I think it will bother me even if nobody else notices it...lol.
I had the same issue, I needed to replace the whole HVAC head unit, it looks like for the same reason you need to - the place where the cable mounts was snapped off. When I went to find a new one, I could only find one with the fuel switch. So I was going to swap the faceplate to my original (no fuel switch) but then I realized that the order of things on one of the sliders was not the same (def, AC, floor, etc). So I kept the switch and faceplate, and now I'm trying to think of some clever use for it. Like, stealth kill switch, or if I get a CB, using it to toggle the speakers between stereo and CB. That one's kind of unlikely, but you get the idea.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete Whitstone wrote
Like, stealth kill switch...
If you use it to ground the tach signal...  

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
One thing that would be super helpful is knowing the dimensions of the various panels. Given the dash/trim sizes I suspect they were a common size just with different stencils on them. My whole thought process here is that the "hard part" is getting the acrylic panels laser cut. If they're all one size that's a lot easier.

Mine is 7.59" x 2.09". Strange numbers that don't quite work out to metric either. I suspect they were originally a more nominal size, but there was some loss from a kerf when they were cut out. Or maybe they're just deliberately under-sized from 7-5/8 x 2-1/8 to allow some spacing when installed in a trim hole of that size.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.