10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC Heater Box Rebuild Seal Kit

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Everyone,

I don't know if you have stumbled across this, but I'm int the middle of reattaching my blower, plenum, and A/C parts.  The existing foam seals fell apart (after 40 years, I'm not surprised) when I removed the parts originally.

My plan was to just use some Ultra Grey or something similar to create new seals, but I happened to find this while searching for the gasket part numbers on Google.

I'm inclined to give it a try - has anyone else used this kit?

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/ford-80-86-pickup-truck-f150-f250-bronco-ac-heater-box-rebuild-seal-kit/
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC Heater Box Rebuild Seal Kit

ckuske
Administrator
I found the thread on FTE (with Gary and a few others in the thread!), but maybe this reminder will be helpful to someone anyway
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I have not used their Ford 80 - 86 kit but have for my 70 AMC javelin HVAC box rebuild and was vary happy with the product and directions that came with the kit.

From what others that have used their AMC kits I would go for the Ford kit no question asked!

Also if you dont see something you are looking for on their site give them a call.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by ckuske
I didnt, I ended up using some foam strips we had at work when I did mine.  I do plan on pulling the heater box back off the firewall as I need to cut a piece out of another truck and weld a replacement in.  Mine is a little rotted around one of the bolt holes which doesnt hinder the attachment but its one of those things I know is there and just have to fix it.

I do need to get a whole seal kit but I dont see them having a listing for a heat only assembly.  My truck is dealer AC so the box on the firewall looks like it has different seals than what they are showing.

Still I would give it a try none the less as I am sure its better than nothing.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I used it on my F350, and have no complaints about the quality. It even came with extra foam pieces that I was able to use on the blend doors, although that may have been by design (I'm not sure). I can't really compare them versus OEM since my original foam was long gone, but the new seals seem to be doing their job.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - I have used that kit.  Or, maybe I should say part of this kit.  Here's the story...

Scott talked with the owner at DMT and, I think, sent him gaskets to use as templates  So when I needed the one to attach the underhood plenum to the firewall for Big Blue I contacted him and agreed a price.  And waited.  And waited.

So I contacted him again and found that he doesn't really want to sell just the individual gaskets.  He hadn't priced them individually initially and when he got to thinking about it what he'd said he would sell it to me for he found that he wasn't going to make any money.  So I bought a full set for Dad's truck and the one piece for Big Blue and both of us were happy.

And when they came in, quickly I might add, the one for Big Blue fit perfectly.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for the background, Gary. It’s reassuring everyone is happy with the kit.

I’m in a similar boat, I really only need the blower gasket, and the gasket from the firewall to the evaporator housing (so far) but when I get back to the interior, I’ll take a look at the others again.

Thanks!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Rusty_S85 wrote
I didnt, I ended up using some foam strips we had at work when I did mine.  I do plan on pulling the heater box back off the firewall as I need to cut a piece out of another truck and weld a replacement in.  Mine is a little rotted around one of the bolt holes which doesnt hinder the attachment but its one of those things I know is there and just have to fix it.

I do need to get a whole seal kit but I dont see them having a listing for a heat only assembly.  My truck is dealer AC so the box on the firewall looks like it has different seals than what they are showing.

Rusty, Give him a call as he may not have it listed if he has it.
The other is if you have gaskets he can make patterns from and then make new ones I hear he dose that also.
I want to say on the factory AC kit he went to the junk yard and pulled a box so he had what was needed to make patterns & seals.

Also at one time this was a side thing for him but I think he is now a full time buss.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
FuzzFace2 wrote
Rusty_S85 wrote

Rusty, Give him a call as he may not have it listed if he has it.
The other is if you have gaskets he can make patterns from and then make new ones I hear he dose that also.
I want to say on the factory AC kit he went to the junk yard and pulled a box so he had what was needed to make patterns & seals.

Also at one time this was a side thing for him but I think he is now a full time buss.
Dave ----
I will do that.  I sadly dont have the old seals anymore they fell apart when I pulled the box off to do the heater core that was half plugged up and giving me no heat.  But if he has the stuff I will gladly buy from him.  I dont think the stuff I used to seal the heater blend door to be very long lasting since its basically the same stuff you use on sealing AC window units.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Source-for-HVAC-Component-Seals-Gaskets-td41105.html

I am very happy with the kit. James does great work!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio