classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
117 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 87 460 Carb and Timing Questions

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can tell by the width of the rear springs and the distance across the frame rails as well.

Chassis cab were 137 and 161" WB.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Yeah not sure exactly what it is other than my Papaw's truck

Makes it even more fun looking up parts, but I've been able to figure most of it out so far.

Ready to get it done so I can drive it again. I learned to drive a manual on this rig and hauled many rolls of hay during the winter.

I'm going to try and do a leak down tonight to see what I have.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
'87 F350 Cab & Chassis Dually with Aluminum Flatbed
Carb'ed 460, ZF5 S-42, 4x4, Dana 60 Solid Axle, Sterling Rear 3.55 Gears
'85 Ford Bronco II 2.8, V6 Duraspark Conversion, A4LD Auto, 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I hope the test goes well and you don’t have to rebuild it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
I've decided if I'm going to pull it, I'm going to rebuild it. I know some guys that have restored some cars and recommended a local machine shop that comes with great reviews.

I'm going to reach out to them next week.

Here is my question for you all, what should I do to get a little more power out of this rig? Not looking to snap driveshafts, just looking for daily dependable power.

I read about using EFI pistons that have a smaller dish and can bump compression up slightly. I know about straight up timing set as well.

Is there a cam you guys can recommend that will be a "rv" cam like performance? Just looking for torque mostly.

I would take dependable over higher power in this scenario.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd recommend talking to Scotty to see what his price would be on either a short or long block.  I'm happy with my engine from him.  I doubt it was any more expensive than it would have been from a local shop, and it was done w/o hassle or issue - like all of my experiences have been with local shops.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
I have gotten a quote on the "kit" from Scotty which includes the heads and basically everything but the short block, it is still an option, but I'm going to see what I have local as well.

Scotty isn't out of the question. I'm trading emails with him and waiting on a response to a few of my questions.

Question for you Gary, what are you running for headers?
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm running L&L long tubes.  But I had to trim the frame 1/4" to get them to fit.

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Thanks for the info.

I'm having trouble deciding how far I want to go with this build.

Just money right 😅
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, it is just money.  And when you are talking about engines, there's a lot of money involved.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
So, I spoke to Scotty yesterday.

I've got a top end kit on order and I'll be buying an engine kit from him after I get to my local shop for block machining.

Aluminum heads, cam, intake, timing chain.

This is a 425 hp towing combo, 9.1 compression... Should be good to go!

Time to keep chipping away.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds strong!  Good plan.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 87 460 Carb'ed Towing Build

ford4wd08
Decided to keep this thread and update it for my build on Papaw's dually.

So, I am bouncing around a bit between body work and mechanical stuff.

I need to pull the engine soon.

I've never pulled an engine, but have dropped a trans and transfer case.

Any tips for a first timer?

I am thinking of undoing all the bell housing bolts, then taking the front wheels off and lowering the front axle down on jack stands so the engine bay will be easier to access. The hood is coming off as well. I have a new junkyard hood to install.

Luckily I don't have too much body work to do. It won't be perfect, but it will be painted and stop rusting.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pulling the hood is a good idea.  And pulling the radiator and radiator support is a good idea as well.

But I'm not sure about lowering the truck.  The reason is that the legs of the engine hoist have to go somewhere and sometimes the legs hit the axle if it is too low.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, if you are pulling the radiator support what is going to hold the front of the fenders in place? Why not pull the front clip, take the cowl vent off so the hood will stand straight up, tie it there and then the engine only has to clear the crossmember to get it in. That is my plan when I do Darth's.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
I will be replacing one fender with another. Might be easier to pull the front clip. Hadn't thought about that.

I'm sort of worried about having enough lift to get the engine out of the bay. It's pretty tall with the solid front axle. That's where the thought of dropping it down some. I'm borrowing a buddies engine hoist, I guess when it comes time I can see how much I have to work with.

Disassembly will continue this weekend. Might just take the clip off so I can hit everything with epoxy primer when the time comes.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm going to ask, when removing manual trans, there is nothing holding it to the engine other than bell housing bolts correct? You don't have to remove anything like torque converter bolts with a auto trans?
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Correct, just the bolts and locating dowels at the bell to block interface.

But do remember that you have to get a straight pull for the input shaft to come cleanly out of the pilot bushing/bearing, and come out of the splines of the clutch disc.

So give thought to how far you have to move it forward.
Motor mounts and the rear sump pan riding up on the cross member are things to consider.

My preference is to pull the transmission free before trying to do anything with the engine.
But, then again, I've never pulled the front clip off when removing my engine.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Thanks for the confirmation on the trans. I know the input shaft has to come out straight.

Parts started showing up today from the "Mad Porter".... Intake manifold, cam, roller rockers, timing gear set... The distributor has been here for a few days, It time to get this engine pulled out!

I'm drooling over the new part
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
     Excited for you Jordan!   (must be like Christmas)

I'm sure papaw's truck will be a healthy beast with all that Parkland goodness under the hood.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep!  It's gonna RUN!

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Made some progress today.

After looking it over, decide it was best to remove the core support and bumper, then pull the engine.

Definitely makes a big difference.

Core support is rusted out on passenger side. I'll end up replacing it for piece of mind.

I've got everything loose, and will pull the engine tomorrow and get it on a stand.

So far so good. Everything has been moving along nicely.

Couple of questions, is there an oil pressure sensor on the back of the intake manifold? And another type of sensor?

Might pick y'all's brains on wiring upgrades including the alternator, it was definitely a fire starter, covered in oil. What a mess.

I believe there is an upgraded to the later style efi starter.

Here are some pictures to help tell the story.

Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms