classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
117 messages Options
1 ... 3456
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 87 460 Carb'ed Towing Build

ford4wd08
0.030" over bore and 0.010" on the crank for my rebuild. Not bad.

Talked to Scotty today and got my engine kit on order. What a great resource to us 460 guys 👍
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
'87 F350 Cab & Chassis Dually with Aluminum Flatbed
Carb'ed 460, ZF5 S-42, 4x4, Dana 60 Solid Axle, Sterling Rear 3.55 Gears
'85 Ford Bronco II 2.8, V6 Duraspark Conversion, A4LD Auto, 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, he is!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
So.... switching gears on this a little bit.

Waiting on engine parts to get in, so I am going to get back to planning and working on the body.

When I removed my core support, the passenger side below the battery was rotted out. To remove the core support I cut through the bolts with a sawzall just because the mounts and bolts were just too far gone. I am going to have replace the mounts and bolts. I've already ordered a replacement core support.

So, while I'm having to add find new core support body mounts, is it worthwhile to upgrade to polyurethane? I'm torn on whether it will give a harsher ride or anything like that.

I know my leaf springs could use new bushings too, I came across this kit and giving it some thought too.

https://www.suspension.com/packagedeal053#reviews

Has anyone upgraded from the OEM rubber mounts on suspension and body?

Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm running poly mounts on most things on Big Blue, and everything on Dad's truck but I've not driven Dad's truck yet.  But I have driven BB and the poly bushings are fine for the suspension, but I'm running OE rubber bushings on the cab.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
I'm debating on rubber or poly for cab mount. Honest only my core support ones have to be replaced. I can always come back to it and change them out later. Not sure yet.

Looks like rubber is out of stock at the moment for the few outlets I've looked at it.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
So... Christmas came a little early 😃

I also ordered my L and L headers and my alternator bracket from them today.

Been trying to do a little work on the body. Got my replacement hood sanded down and got some epoxy primer on it for now. Have a lot of body work to get done before I circle back to paint.

Also found a cluster with a tach in a junk yard, should be a good addition to my truck.

I do have one question for you guys, the return line for the power steering pump looks to be long and goes from the pump back around the engine crossmember and back in loops. Was this length required for power steering capacity fluid capacity or for cooling? Wondering if I can eliminate the long length and just install a stacked plate cooler for power steering?
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The heads look great, as does the hood.  And I assume the later trucks had the wiring for the tach, so that should be a good addition.

As for the power steering, that extra length is a cooler.  You can eliminate it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.  And you can add another cooler if you want, or replace the long loop with it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Gary Lewis wrote
The heads look great, as does the hood.  And I assume the later trucks had the wiring for the tach, so that should be a good addition.

As for the power steering, that extra length is a cooler.  You can eliminate it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.  And you can add another cooler if you want, or replace the long loop with it.
Yes to wiring for the tach. Should be plug and play. I do think have to jump a resistor to get the oil pressure gauge to be a real gauge, but not really a issue.

I just think a.stacked cooler out in front of the radiator/AC condenser would do a better job at cooling then a long hose under the engine?

I've got some time before I have to worry about that. Just trying to think ahead a little. I know the steering box and pump are getting replaced. They are wore out for sure.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sure that a true cooler would do a better job than the long tube.  But you'll need to get the cooler in the air stream and not hidden away in a dead spot.

Thinking ahead is good.  You get to plan and see what your thinking looks like on "paper".  Sometimes you realize there's a better way or that you forgot something.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm sure that a true cooler would do a better job than the long tube.  But you'll need to get the cooler in the air stream and not hidden away in a dead spot.

Thinking ahead is good.  You get to plan and see what your thinking looks like on "paper".  Sometimes you realize there's a better way or that you forgot something.  
Agreed on the placement. I think a trans cooler of appropriate size would do the job needed for the power steering pump. Just put it on the discharge side of the steering box seems like it would work and give enough capacity.

I would place it where an auto trans cooler would go, since I'm running a manual.

Speaking of the ZF trans, what clutch and flywheel are you running Gary? Would like to replace mine for tor new torquey engine 😃
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think on the return side of the power steering system you could use the tranny cooler in the radiator - assuming that your radiator has one.  But a stand-alone tranny cooler would work fine as well.

On the clutch/flywheel combo, that's a good question.  You can start reading here in Big Blue's Transformation and see the troubles I had.  I'll follow up in a bit when I can to see what the final combo was.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I read a bit further and the problem was ME!   

Looks like I'm running clutch kit 07-910 and flywheel LFW109.

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Gary Lewis wrote
Ok, I read a bit further and the problem was ME!   

Looks like I'm running clutch kit 07-910 and flywheel LFW109.
Thanks for the info. Current radiator doesn't have provision for tranny cooler, but I know most replacements now do. That's not a bad idea to use the one in a radiator.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ford4wd08
ford4wd08 wrote
Yes to wiring for the tach. Should be plug and play. I do think have to jump a resistor to get the oil pressure gauge to be a real gauge, but not really a issue.
The "fake" oil pressure gauge didn't become a thing until the EFI trucks in '88, or later.

My '87 definitely has a functional oil pressure gauge as I'm unpleasantly reminded at hot idle.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
What Ford did starting in 88 or 89 was to put a resistor in the printed circuit board and a switch that closed at around 5 psi. It is sort of a reverse idiot light and is simply an oil pressure indicator.

Even the later clusters can be converted to a functional gauge. The resistor is installed in the circuit by soldering to the surface trace on the printed circuit. A simple jumper across the resistor will eliminate it and changing the "sender" switch to an older gauge sender will now give you a functioning oil pressure gauge. If you can tee in a mechanical gauge you can get a pretty good idea of where in the gauge "normal" range is actually good oil pressure.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Yes I know my truck came with a functional gauge. The cluster I bought is out of a '91 so I'll have to jump the resistor like mentioned.

I will probably put a t in so I can monitor oil pressure with a gauge from under the hood.

This will be important during break in of my new engine/cam.
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
Got some more work done over the weekend.

Sanded down the old paint and got it all sealed up in epoxy for now. The body work can start now.

Going to try and learn some new things this time around. Hopefully I can get it all pretty straight.

I also patched up a.few holes in the driver's side floor board.

Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
1 ... 3456