classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
126 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

83 F100 Upgrade

Bisquik1959
A while back my father in law gave me his 83 F100 which has been in the family since new. I have been using it as a daily driver for a while now and done quite a few upgrades. I put 30k miles a year and wanted to keep the miles off my 16 Ram dually. After all the commuting, my 302 is blowing oil out of the dipstick etc. I have a 96 Explorer that I am gonna use as a donor and harvest the 302/4R70W.
Here is when I got her

Now after ditching the stock LTD hubcaps for my 54 Ford dog dishes, cleaning her up and getting the cab squared away.
Once I get the engine swapped and squared away, i plan on repainting and upgrading to some alloy wheels.
"Dumpy" 1983 F100
1986 Bronco II crawler

"Oh Blessed Lady of Acceleration... dont fail me now!" - Elwood Blues
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 83 F100 Upgrade

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sorry.  I don't mean to be harsh, but I just sent you an email that said, among other things:

Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  Please read the guidelines, below my signature, and then click on this link to say that you agree to adhere to them: I agree to adhere to the guidelines.  You will then be taken to the New Members Start Here folder where we ask you to start a new thread/topic in that folder about yourself and your truck.

But you've not done that.  Can you help me understand why?  Did you not get the email?

I'm concerned because we hold people to the guidelines, so I want to make sure you've had a chance to read them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bisquik1959
Sorry... didn't see the email. I went and hopefully checked all the correct boxes now.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020, 7:35 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sorry.  I don't mean to be harsh, but I just sent you an email that said, among other things:

Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  Please read the guidelines, below my signature, and then click on this link to say that you agree to adhere to them: I agree to adhere to the guidelines.  You will then be taken to the New Members Start Here folder where we ask you to start a new thread/topic in that folder about yourself and your truck.

But you've not done that.  Can you help me understand why?  Did you not get the email?

I'm concerned because we hold people to the guidelines, so I want to make sure you've had a chance to read them.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/83-F100-Upgrade-tp75600p75602.html
To unsubscribe from 83 F100 Upgrade, click here.
NAML
"Dumpy" 1983 F100
1986 Bronco II crawler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, you have.  That's why I asked if the email had gotten to you.  There was a change that seems to have broken our joining process, and I wasn't sure it was working.

Nice truck!  You've taken it a long way already, but the Explorer engine and tranny should be a big help.

As for your other truck, how do you feel about driving around with the equivalent of a "kick me" sign on the rear end of it?  

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bisquik1959
Welcome and great looking truck! Those dog dish hubcaps look great.

While adding more photos as the project continues, I don't think anyone would hate you for sneaking in a few more of what you have stored in your garage
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Nice truck. Love that interior. One of those bench seat consoles is on my want list;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - I missed the bright yellow Dodge!  Well spotted.  

Cory - I just asked Janey what she thought of that arm rest/console.  I, too, like it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bisquik1959
Lol... I dont mind the kick me sign! Every truck has its job.

The 55 is for cruising and hot rodding. It was my dads and I have been working on restoring it. It was a logging truck mess when I got it. I built and installed a 57 325 Dodge hemi in it and am currently working on a R10 overdrive unit and a Hilborn Injector.

The 16 Ram has its job and its our tow rig and old daily driver.

And I cant forget the Bronco II rock crawler. Its been around the country offroading. It needs a little TLC to be back to road worthy. She has a 4.0/A4LD, full width D44/Dyntrac ProRock 60 combo and twin transfer cases.

"Dumpy" 1983 F100
1986 Bronco II crawler

Reply | Threaded
|

Bisquik1959
As for my old F100, I have been busy working on it to make it more comfortable. I repainted all the gauges and added a factory tach. Replaced all the dash lights with LED's and had to replace the steering wheel due to a broken horn button after a close call. Swapped in a 84 radio bezel and added a new Sony bluetooth unit with 6x9's behind the seat and 6.5's in the doors. Also added new KYB shocks all around and was working on adding front and rear sway bars when the engine started to puke oil. Hopefully with the great info I am learning here, I can get the Explorer misfire fixed and start swapping. Just need to find a 2WD 4R70W or I will have to convert the other one from 4WD and that doesnt look like alot of fun.
"Dumpy" 1983 F100
1986 Bronco II crawler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  We aren't so hidebound that we don't talk about other vehicles.  So, while Bullnose trucks have brought us together, we readily admit to having things like my '69 Bee and Bill's '85 LeBaron T2.  In fact, many of us have threads on them, like Bill's LeBaron.  And Bob's early Bronco.

I like the early Hemis.  Is that a Caddy air cleaner?  And is the Hilborn injection system the new EFI unit that looks like the older system?

As for the B-II, that thing appears to be quite capable!  Wow!

So feel free to have threads on the other vehicles if you want.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bisquik1959
Yes, the current picture shows a factory 4BBL manifold and Edelbrock carb with a repop Caddy air cleaner. The factory units were oil bath and alot of work to get functional again.

The Hilborn unit is in its mockup phase currently. It is #84 of 92 units made by Hilborn almost 20 years ago and has never been installed. That and the R10 overdrive are the current projects before getting her back on the road. She has to ready for Viva Las Vegas next September. I have alot of work to do.
"Dumpy" 1983 F100
1986 Bronco II crawler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is a very cool setup!  Good luck, and keep us posted.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bisquik1959
Not sure of the timing due to the engine swap coming to the top of the priority deck. But since I have a 96 Explorer parts rig, I am planning on harvesting the rear discs off its 8.8 and putting onto the 83. I should only have to modify the rear brake lines and redrill the rotors for the bigger pattern. Both rigs should have the 31 spline or big bearing 8.8. There is a 28 spline 8.8 used in Rangers and cars that require a different backing plate/caliper mount.
"Dumpy" 1983 F100
1986 Bronco II crawler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I hope it is ok to have moved the console discussion out.  It was taking over your thread.  But, it is your thread and I should have asked before I did it.  Sorry.  

Meanwhile you posted about harvesting the rear diff, so I moved it back here.  OK?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bisquik1959
Thanks Gary!
"Dumpy" 1983 F100
1986 Bronco II crawler

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When you get into the planning stage for your swap you may want to take a look at what I've done.  Not that the way I did it is the only or best way, but it appears to work.

In this post you can see the wiring diagram I created for the power distribution box I added to Big Blue.  And in this post you can see the PDB as well as the later style battery tray I added.

And you'll need to interface the later system with the Bullnose wiring, assuming you don't totally rewire your truck.  This post shows my plan on how to tie the fuel pump wiring to the ECU.  But since I've not done the EFI part of it yet I've not done that.

Anyway, there are lots of those kinds of things that you'll run into, and some of them I've already done, some I have plans for, and some I haven't even thought of yet.

Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
WOW... those are some fine trucks. Welcome to the forum. Love the 83 F100. My own is a 83 F100. My others are a 2001 GMC lifted 9" and a caruck (El Camino, not sure if it's a car or a truck. It has identity issues.)
“Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.”
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Bisquik1959
Grrrr... truck started cutting out on my on the way home. Did it twice while accelerating. The ignition felt like it would cut out and the rpms would drop. I don't want this truck to leave me stranded. Maybe I should just park it until the engine swap is done. I planned on driving it till the engine gave out, but i don't want to pour money into it with dune season weeks away either.
"Dumpy" 1983 F100
1986 Bronco II crawler

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Bisquik1959 wrote
 I don't want this truck to leave me stranded.....I planned on driving it till the engine gave out
I think Finagle's law may get you

I wouldn't hesitate to post a thread in the main forum describing the problem so others can chime in with some tests you might be able to do and potentially avoid replacing parts that aren't needed.

Has it ever happened before?
I know you said ignition - so it didn't feel like a hesitation/stumble where it wasn't getting enough fuel?
When my duraspark module was going out, it would just randomly die while going down the road. I don't recall it ever cutting out and back in by itself.
Fuel filter clean?

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Bisquik1959
Very possible its the fuel filter. Unknown when it was changed last if ever. It only happened under heavy acceleration. I will head over to Napa and get one this morning. Thanks.
"Dumpy" 1983 F100
1986 Bronco II crawler

1234 ... 7