899 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213 ... 45
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like the sytrofoam troughs that channel air to the ridge vent, and installed them on my shop.  But the new fiberglass isn't nearly as bad as the old stuff.  Anyway, I agree that you might as well do it right while you are doing it.

As for the leaks, yippee!  That's major progress.  

Surging in my experience can be caused by a lean condition.  Have you adjusted the idle air mix?  Or, what about ignition timing?  If you have manifold vacuum plumbed to the vacuum advance, that could cause surging.  Perhaps pull and plug that line and see if the surge goes away?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
I like the sytrofoam troughs that channel air to the ridge vent, and installed them on my shop.  But the new fiberglass isn't nearly as bad as the old stuff.  Anyway, I agree that you might as well do it right while you are doing it.

As for the leaks, yippee!  That's major progress.  

Surging in my experience can be caused by a lean condition.  Have you adjusted the idle air mix?  Or, what about ignition timing?  If you have manifold vacuum plumbed to the vacuum advance, that could cause surging.  Perhaps pull and plug that line and see if the surge goes away?
I did try to adjust the idle mix and it did not do much, think the idle speed is to high and why.
When I lower the speed it surges and stalls before I can do much adjusting.

I have not checked timing since I got the truck and cant as someone wanted my SnapOn dial back timing
light and a bunch of hand drills more then I did. The vacuum is to ported on the carb.

This was all ok till the manifolds were pulled for the freeze plugs. The carb was left on the intake so I did not have to deal with gaskets that don't come with the intake / exh. gasket.
Laying the intake face down then up right to clean the gasket off it I am sure has done something inside the carb as this was fine before.
It runs so I can move it around as needed so I am happy and will look into it when the time comes down the road. Maybe it will heal
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Put some time in on the bumpers. Pulled the welder out to fill in some nicks / holes left from when I did the welding that I was told would show up if the bumpers were wrapped.

Also the rear bumper had low spots where the bolts were so I filled them in with weld.
Then the fun job of grinding all the weld spots. The rear still had low spots so I took a large socket placed over the bolts welded to the back side and gave it a few whacks with the 5lb hammer and that made them better.

I still have a few "nicks" and thinking to use JB Weld to fill them because to weld them & grind I think would cause more issues then fix.

Also when working the postal person brought mea box. My Ebay wiper governor showed up. The switch plugs into it but did not try the unit to the truck yet. I also have no wiper motor installed so cant test as far as I know at this time.

Being 94* in the garage and now 1:30pm I ran the broom around and called it a day.

Later will take a trip for the JB Weld and if I have any energy left will get it on the bumpers to set up over night.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
FuzzFace2 wrote
Being 94* in the garage and now 1:30pm I ran the broom around and called it a day.
I know the feeling. I want to do some work on the truck but mother nature is pretty fired up right now and for the rest of the holiday weekend.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
salans7 wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
I know the feeling. I want to do some work on the truck but mother nature is pretty fired up right now and for the rest of the holiday weekend.

Yep that's what I hear for up here in NC Raleigh area too and I got to work out in that heat when off loading for an hour.

The heat is 1 reason why I got out to the garage at 5am the other is I could not sleep from about 3:30. That is about my normal get up time, between 12 & 3am, and the dogs started moving around so got up to let them out as I do every morning when I get up.

Have to see how I feel tomorrow if I want to go back out and do more work before the heat comes for the day.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We are in a monsoon.  It has rained most days recently, and is supposed to do so again tonight.  But, it isn't nearly as hot as it normally would have been.  In fact, when my brother and I got rained on today while securing the '95 front end on the trailer it was refreshing.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Well 1 more step backwards and I did not even have to touch the truck!

I was on the patio and see something on the table? A closer look it is the part to shorten a cable, like a Ebrake cable from my truck.
Ask the wife where it came from she said she had to pull it from 1 of the dogs and put it on the table.
It is all bent, must have hit it with the tractor cutting the grass, don't know if I can reuse it.

The step back: the Ebrake would not hold so I bought it and had to mod it to work to shorten the cable. Think I need another as the pedal goes to the floor and still not holding.

It most of popped off last week when I had it in the yard when I found the vacuum leak. All I did was pull the brake knob and the pedal pops up. I think it released faster than the wheel cables could pull the rest of the cable tight and the slack made the part pop off.

I did not notice if it felt different Saturday when I had it out, remember it does not hold too good.
Now I have to figure how I can get this fixed and the brake to hold.

The truck hates me Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Are you talking about the tension limiter?

With some effort, it CAN be re-set.  I don't remember exactly how, but I managed to pull it back through.  And I think I still have that "new" one in the first pic.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Ok, I just got the trailer freed up.  I can be there soon.  

Seriously though, can you show us a pic of the part?

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I'm almost 2 hours south of Raleigh . . .   and we're burning up  :)
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
It is not a Ford part but a Dorman part #03006 used to make cables shorter.
I cant get a picture to post at this time but if you Google that part number you should see what I have to use.
Don't know why as I am sure the cables I used were from this short bed truck other than the axle cables and I think they were all the same.

PetesPonies wrote
I'm almost 2 hours south of Raleigh . . .   and we're burning up  :)
yep heat wave! I got 98* at my house and 95* in Raleigh @ 6pm!
Wife said I left my garage side door open before I went to work this morning so I went in to check if everything was still there and checked the temp, it was over 100*
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's the Dorman part:

But I don't see anything quite like that in the MPC, which is shown below.  What am I missing?

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary, you will not see it on any Ford parts pages as it is a Band-Aid for a cable that is too long, maybe from stretching?

It has been a bit since I did the Ebrake cables and I thought the front cable was different for the different wheel base trucks?
And if that is the case I would think using the long bed cable would be too long and that Dorman part would not do anything.

I do remember when I replaced the axle cables the springs were way too long.
When installed they were bent in a way they hit the drums and made noise.
I also think that if I was to try and use the Ebrake I would of had coil bind on that long spring and would not apply the brake. To fix that I cut the springs shorter.

When I got it all put together the pedal goes to the floor. That is when I used that Dorman part, you can feel it works a little but will not pass safety so I need to fix this someday.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - Your truck hates you.  Want me to head that way?  

No, really, you probably have the wrong cables.  The system is kinda crude, but it works pretty well when the right parts are used.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Don't grease up that trailer ball just yet

I will have to look deeper into why it does not work.
I may way to replace both new cables for the axle because of the springs.
Then look over both front cables to make sure I have the right one installed.
IIRC I also installed a new adjuster part from LMC when I was doing the cables.

Thing is I can run and move the truck with out Ebrake working so may hold off on this.
Could not do that with leaking freeze plugs or vacuum leak at the manifold to head.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shuckydarns!  

Yes, the ebrake can be later down the road, or after it has been on the road to be more precise.  You'll get it sorted, I'm sure.  And with the light at the end of the tunnel looming ever brighter you'll have the impetus to make it happen.  Hang in there!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
But I don't see anything quite like that in the MPC, which is shown below.  What am I missing?
Inset "B" (the tension limiter/equalizer assembly that I posted) is virtually the same thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Steve83 wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
Inset "B" (the tension limiter/equalizer assembly that I posted) is virtually the same thing.
If "B" is already adjusted to the max and the pedal goes to the floor and the Ebrake hardly holds my thinking is the cable is too long so lets make it shorter!
That is what that Dorman parts does, makes cables shorter.
It was better but still would not pass safety if I did not like it.

Going to bed now up at 12am who knows when I will be home and have to work Saturday think up at 2am.
Between this heat and work they are killing me!
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
FuzzFace2 wrote
...my thinking is the cable is too long...
Unless the cable was swapped or the truck was modified, the cable can't be too long.  They don't stretch significantly.  It's more likely that there's a problem inside the drums - usually: lack of lubrication, rust, dirt/friction material residue, wear, &/or incorrect assembly.  Read this & the NEXT two dozen captions:

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Steve83 wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
...my thinking is the cable is too long...
Unless the cable was swapped or the truck was modified, the cable can't be too long.  They don't stretch significantly.  It's more likely that there's a problem inside the drums - usually: lack of lubrication, rust, dirt/friction material residue, wear, &/or incorrect assembly.  Read this & the NEXT two dozen captions:

Negative with a problem inside the drum other than the shoes not in the right place but I am sure I looked it up to make sure before putting it together.

Everything is new out back for the brakes: shoes, springs & adjusters, cables, drums and had to do the wheel cly twice as one was leaking before I even drove the truck, just sitting. The replacements were not the same manf. so I ordered both again and replaced both, if was leaking now long before the other did was my thinking.
Backing plates had no grooving and I used a little anti seize on the backing plate & adjuster as it does not get hard like white grease does.

Someone had the 2 long shoes on 1 side and the 2 short on the other, 1 cable was gone and the other not hooked up at the adjuster. I think I just replace the drums for good measure being everything else was new.

You can see in the picture of the new cable and how the spring was before I cut some to make it shorter so it would not rub the inside of the drums.
This just came to me now
IIRC they were the right part number I ordered but wonder if they were in the wrong package?
If they were for a bigger dia. drum that would be why the spring did what it did?
The outside of the cable fits as it should but if the spring side was longer to reach the arm on the shoe it would then pull the inner part back farther at the adjuster, adjuster not taken up all the way and the pedal may then not go to the floor?
Why didn't I think of this when I was first working on them?

Great now I got to find other cables and hope they are right.
Dave ----
Dave G.
1 ... 78910111213 ... 45