899 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 45
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
I thought you might have to have a filler.  Will the lights sit inside the filler or butt against it?
Right now the light will be flush on 1 side, the outside edge, and in about 1" to 1.5" on the inside edge but I am adding the filler all the way around the hole.
Only thing I worry is if set back is to far the light pattern will be cut off on the inside.

I also have to see how the fog & driving light patterns are. If 1 has a wider pattern I can mount the light so the wide pattern is the one that is flush so it will not be cut off from the set back.

Worst comes to worst I have a 2nd bumper I would need to use a press to straighten and then mount the lights in the center flat part of the bumper but we did not like that look did we.

I need a few grinding barbs & supplies before I can weld the fillers in but getting lazy to go get them.
It is about a 30 min drive each way so may get them on the way home from work one day as it is only 15 min from work. It is also cold here that makes it harder to go to the garage LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I hate broken promises!

Well got to the garage today to do a little work.
To give myself more room in the garage I pulled the truck out. Was going to let it run but have a leaking rubber freeze plug so checked the radiator and it was empty.
That should have been a sign. Going to have to replace this plug some day as it did not have any heat or PSI as the cap was just placed on the radiator.

So with room I started on the bumper mod again. I knew 1 of the light openings was smaller than the other so I measured both found the small one and marked for trimming.
Got that done but the flat stock I cut before is now just a little to short but going to make it work as I don't have much more flat stock and it is for another project that I started many years ago.

Before I got started with the welding I ran my knotted wired wheel on the inside of the bumper to clean up the rust then switched to a grinding where to get a good metal for welding.
So after figuring how the magnets will hold the flat stock for tack welding I pull out the welder and get started.

All was going good till the welder stopped welding? At first I thought the wire got welded to the tip as this will happen if to close to the work and I was because of the opening for this light is small.
It did weld but something is still not right! Wire will not pull out like it should? Digging deeper it is something I can not fix on the spot ...... ran out of wire!

Was going to call it a day but I got most of the welding done, I am nasty with sweat and dirt so why not grind down the welds.
So I start on that with my 4" grinder the best I could. Then switched to a 90* die grinder that I had to fix 4 times. The head kept coming loose and the gear inside would not work.
Think I got it now but may pick up another just in case and this one is not that old.

So with the grinding done as far as I could go I wanted to check the fitment of the light. Not good it will not fit!
I pulled off the mounting bracket and it now fits in the bumper housing. But now have to figure how I am going to mount the lights as I was going to weld a tap on the bumper and bolt the light bracket to it.

I think I can cut the brackets and use it as the weld tabs the light will bolt to. I just need to make sure I have adjustment of the light output left & right, up & down I don't think will be an issue.
Sorry no pictures yet.
At that point I called it a day.

Oh what was that promise you ask?
I promised myself to have the bumper done today so I could take them to work with me and if I got out early one day to swing by the car wrapper to see if they can wrap the bumpers.
Dave ----

I see my older posts are showing pictures? When I posted them from my site before the domain issues are they then hosed here some how? I am happy for that so no broken links like on that other Ford site I will see if I can fix when I get my site back up, DNS issue right now I am trying to get fixed.
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - On the pics, if when you "insert image" the file is available it'll be uploaded to Nabble.  Then whatever happens elsewhere it'll still be here.  But if it isn't available at the time you try to upload then I can't see it ever working later.  At least, that's what I think - without trying it.

On the welder, I just knew you were out of wire.  Why?  Been there, done that several times.

But, I'm not sure I followed all of what you said about why the lights don't fit.  I think I have it, but I'm a bit iffy on it.  So I'll wait on the pics.

As for broken promises, I prefer to think of them as plans, and plans don't always work out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave - On the pics, if when you "insert image" the file is available it'll be uploaded to Nabble.  Then whatever happens elsewhere it'll still be here.  But if it isn't available at the time you try to upload then I can't see it ever working later.  At least, that's what I think - without trying it.

On the welder, I just knew you were out of wire.  Why?  Been there, done that several times.

But, I'm not sure I followed all of what you said about why the lights don't fit.  I think I have it, but I'm a bit iffy on it.  So I'll wait on the pics.

As for broken promises, I prefer to think of them as plans, and plans don't always work out.
When I posted the pictures I pull the links from my site. When the domain name expired thesite went down. I was not fast enough to renew it and it was snagged so had to go with a different name.
I have to work on the DNS and my site should be up.

On the light fitting. For some reason the hole turned out to be too small and I even placed the flat stock on the bumper not on the inside of the opening as I knew that would make it smaller.
I can only say I should have test fitted the light before welding that's why we tack weld right?
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The way Nabble does pictures, meaning uploading them to their site, ensures that even if the link becomes unusable, like when you loose the domain, the pics are still here on the forum.  But sorry you lost the domain.

As for the openings, that's a bummer.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I will have to get pictures tomorrow if I can. I would go now but we have a storm here right now.
Our main TV went out and the only time I have to go with the wife to get one is tomorrow.
I was happy to see the pictures were still showing on here.

The domain is part my fault.
For some reason I did not get an email it was due, when you get a multi year you forget when you have to renew. When it stopped working I could not log in to the admin side to update information and card. I should of called them to see what I had to do but I did not.

I went with a different company for the domain and I entered a bad email address. I was able to fix it as I am now getting emails everyday on BS but when I get to the DNS page it ask to send email so you click the button and then nothing. They don't have on line chat so I have to call.

My hosting company said all my data is still there so that is good.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad your data is still there.  That would be awful!

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Well they tell me it's still there but I have not seen it yet.
When I set up the new domain I messed up my email address. Not having time my son worked with them to get it fixed and then updated DNS, that was over 48 hours now so don't know what is going on now.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
DNS can take quite a while to propagate.  Clear your cache?

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I picked up welding wire last Monday and installed it then and did a test so it would be ready to go when I was.
Was able to finish the welding and got them ground down. Fitted the lights to see what is needed to mount the lights.
It looks like I can use part of the light brackets by cutting the ears and welding them to the box I made on the bumpers to fit the lights.
Lights with brackets.

Back side of bumper showing the box I made

Front side of bumper with out light

Light in bumper tan one is tape on it and held in place the other is taken from below as I don't havethe tabs welded on yet.

I need to get longer bolts for the lights to the welded tabs and spacers before I can weld the tabs on.
I would have made a run to the hard ware store but the truck was moved out for more room and at this point it was stating to rain. No glass in truck and the cat was still out it was time to get both truck and cat inside.
I plan to get the bolts & spacers and also hit the auto parts store for a freeze plug or 2 as there was a puddle when I moved the truck out and I don't want 1 of the dogs getting to the leaking anti freeze.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - Those really look like they belong!  Well done.  I can't wait to see the bumper on the truck and how the lights look with the whole front end.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave - Those really look like they belong!  Well done.  I can't wait to see the bumper on the truck and how the lights look with the whole front end.  
Thanks I cant wait either.
I was up at 5am but nothing opens around here till 9am (auto zone) and 10am (hard ware both next door to each other) to get parts to do more work.

Couldn't even cut the rest of the grass, did half yesterday before I helped at the pet adoption for a few hours, because it was raining when I got up.
The plan today is to measure the leaking plug, pick up 2 in case the first gets thrown across the shop because it doesn't want to go in, and get the needed bolts so I can finish the lights in the bumper.
Also need to paint the back side of the bumpers to stop the rust with paint I have to stop the rust.
Maybe when the paint is drying I will see if I can replace that leaking freeze plug?

I hope to take the bumpers with me this week to work and if I have the time stop by the wrapper to see what the $$ will to wrap them will be.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Remind me what you are going to have them wrapped with?  I've forgotten.

As for mowing the yard, we have memes of John Deere mowers in 1' of water mowing around here.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I am going to try and get them wrapped in chrome.
The bumpers still have some nicks and grinding marks that may or may not show thru and why I need to have them look at them. If they need to be baby butt smooth I will need to spend a lot of time on them as that old chrome is tuff stuff.
They are far from being car show bumpers I just want them to look half way good is all.

Got the bolts for the lights, no freeze plugs (I will tell why later), fitted the bracket tabs to bumper and welded them on and then painted the back side. Popped the lights in for pictures.

Close up of light and how it is mounted.

And the money shot! Nothing is lined up just placed on to get the picture.

Now the freeze plugs
I had to get the truck in the air so figured on using ramps ..... nope! smooth floor they move so I put old mud flaps I have still no go. Ramps moved a little but the wheels just spin on the floor so out came the jack & horse.
So I get a size of about 1.5" reaching around hot parts from trying to get up the ramps and I keep getting dripped on.
I check the rubber plug from under the truck and it is dry? Could it be from the hot water plate on the bottom of the stock intake leaking? Checking from under it looks dry? Get a step stool to check over the fender and I spot another plug leaking!

At this point the manifolds will come off so I can access all the plugs on the right side to replace them.
Only good thing is it has not been long since I put that stuff all together.
Going to place an order with Rock Auto as that is where I got the last gasket and was happy with it.
Hope to have parts by next weekend so I can get that fixed.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - The lights look GREAT!  I really like them set into the bumper that way.  

But, that's a bummer about the core plugs.  However, you are doing it the right way so you'll be done with it soon and not have to worry about them again.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Thanks on the bumper & lights.
It's one of them little custom touches that you would over look if it was not pointed out.
Almost like the metal ribbed bed floor or the rear fuel tank on a flare side.

I pulled the rear bumper off wired brushed the rust on the back side and painted it with the rust stop paint. Both bumpers are in my truck and may be able to stop at the place tomorrow. It is slow for cement because of the rain that passed thru here.

Ordered the plugs & gaskets from Rock Auto, shipping (the cheapest) was more than the 2 parts!
After the freeze plugs I am running out of things that can be done to put off the last little bit of body work to get paint on this thing.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Your truck is going to have lots of little touches that only the true Ford gurus will catch.  

Get that body work done and you are almost "there"!

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
May need to rethink the bumper wrap.
I hit 3 places, first said he did not want to try it because of some of the bends / corners.
They sent me to a place that does not do wraps who sent me to the 3rd.
It looks good if I want to do it in anything but chrome. The girl that does the wrapping, owners daughter, has not worked with chrome and did not want to give it a try.
Owner was all for giving it a try but was up to her. They did say it scratches easy so would need a film cover over it.

They gave me a number to a guy that does full color change on cars, most I checked with said I need to find a place that does full color change wraps. But if I want to do any other color for the wrap they would do it.

I also was told the finish on the bumpers needs to be better before they can be wrapped.
It is like body work before paint, all nicks and sanding marks need not seen or felt.
I will do a little more prep on them and check with this last person to see what he has to say but they may get painted as it will be about $200 to $250 to wrap them.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I kinda like the blackout approach.  Black bumpers, black grille, black windshield surround, etc.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
I kinda like the blackout approach.  Black bumpers, black grille, black windshield surround, etc.
With all the cars & trucks today not having any chrome I want to try and keep it.

I still have time before I need to install them so I will see what options I have after I prep them better and talk to this last person.
Dave ----
Dave G.
1 ... 567891011 ... 45