4X4 Emblem Placement Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

4X4 Emblem Placement Question

Jmac1773

This thing. Where does it go? I've seen it listed on sites as a tailgate emblem and as fender emblems. I've only found one pic on the whole internet (OK... maybe not the WHOLE internet - but I looked for a good couple of hours one day...) and this emblem was under the "F150" emblem on the fenders - specifically it was nestled under the "150" section of that emblem. Even on Ford's Exterior Moulding Section literature it lists it (Type 17) as "Tailgate & Front Fender."  

I've also tried to spot it in Ford literature pictures but cannot determine the placement of it/them. Did they come on XL's? Was it only for some sort of special edition? What is the factory location of the emblem(s)?

On a related note: Besides the extremely helpful documentation section on here, is there someplace online that I'm missing that shows good, factory original pics?

It's my goal on my truck to make it as factory correct as possible - with a little modification as would have been done in the late '80s. A period-correct customization, if you will.

As always, thanks for your patience as I learn. And ask potentially dumb questions.
1986 F150 XL/Flareside/4X4/300ci
NE Texas
2 Chron 7:14
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 4X4 Emblem Placement Question

LARIAT 85
I have seen them located under the "150" or "250" emblem before on the older, lower-optioned trucks.  There was also a "4x2" emblem located in that same spot, but I am not even sure why that one even exists.

I have never seen it on a tailgate, but I can see where it might.  My Lucille has an "OVERDRIVE" emblem on the right side, and it looks to be of similar size:

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I have an 86 Bronco. Bought it second hand in Sept of 86. It never had those emblems on it. My 90 F Super Duty has the 4 X 2 on it.

I understand that I am getting old but, I dont remember the bull nose pickup's even having emblem on them. Now that does not mean they were not on them. I do remember the brick nose and  aero nose and after having them, just not the bull nose.

Just my two bits and I hope someone that knows more then I do will pipe up.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Jmac1773
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
LARIAT 85 wrote
I have seen them located under the "150" or "250" emblem before on the older, lower-optioned trucks.  There was also a "4x2" emblem located in that same spot, but I am not even sure why that one even exists.

I have never seen it on a tailgate, but I can see where it might.  My Lucille has an "OVERDRIVE" emblem on the right side, and it looks to be of similar size:
I'm not sure why you'd want to advertise that you have a 4X2, either, but whatever... LOL!

And thanks for the info about the placement.  That's the only place I've seen them, too.  But I've also seen the "XL" under the "150" so that begs the question: What do you do if you want them both on there?  Put the "4X4" under the "XL?"  Again, this is where some clear photos from the era would help.  
NE Texas
Reply | Threaded
|

Jmac1773
In reply to this post by old55pete
old55pete wrote
I have an 86 Bronco. Bought it second hand in Sept of 86. It never had those emblems on it. My 90 F Super Duty has the 4 X 2 on it.

I understand that I am getting old but, I dont remember the bull nose pickup's even having emblem on them. Now that does not mean they were not on them. I do remember the brick nose and  aero nose and after having them, just not the bull nose.

Just my two bits and I hope someone that knows more then I do will pipe up.
Yeah, I've never seen them on anything official from the era.  But the emblems are on LMC and DC along with the regular emblems so who knows...
NE Texas
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
From our page at Documentation/Exterior/Nameplates, a 4x4 badge is a Type 17:

And a Type 17 is an E3TZ so came out in '83, and was apparently used on the tailgate and both front fenders:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Jmac1773
As can be seen on the page that was posted above mine from the parts and illustration guide, Ford did offer a 4x2 emblem just like the 4x4 emblem so they did exist.  But I dont know if they were used or not.

My F150 is a 2wd truck and as far as I know never had the emblem on mine, all I have is just the regular F150 emblem and nothing else.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Jmac1773
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote

And a Type 17 is an E3TZ so came out in '83, and was apparently used on the tailgate and both front fenders:
So it's just a one-year thing in '83? Or do you know if it continued to '86?
NE Texas
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cant tell from the catalog. Usually it says something like 83-86, but this time it doesn’t. All we know is that it was introduced in 83 and no other one was issued later. So for whatever years a 4x4 emblem was used it was that one.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jmac1773
Hmmm....

I think I'm going to order some and put them on my fenders anyway BECAUSE I CAN!!!!

And because I think it looks cool...
NE Texas
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
As soon as I saw this post I was thinking "this is right in Lariat85's wheelhouse"

The OD has the locating pins correct?
Assuming this 4x4 one does also?

I am like Steve, never seen one on a bullnose in person and per Jmac's research, sounds like photos are rare as well.

Never been around the OD tranny so this may be a stupid question but in our years was the 4wd version common?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
It’s funny, I don’t recall seeing a 4x4 emblem either. But I’ve seen two 4x2’s. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
That style of 4x4 emblem was used on the fenders. It should be directly below the 150 of your F150 nameplate.

One of my flare sides actually has the same style badge that says 4x2!
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
My 86 parts truck had the "4x2" emblems on the fenders beneath the "250". I too have no clue why that even existed. I have also seen XL and XLT emblems for below the FXXX on the fender. I'm wondering if maybe the standard trim trucks were the ones to get the 4x2 and 4x4 emblems since they would not have the XL or XLT badges to go in that place.

Some if not all of the Diesel trucks had a "Diesel" emblem where Lariat has an "Overdrive" emblem on the tailgate.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by Jmac1773
Jmac1773 wrote
And thanks for the info about the placement.  That's the only place I've seen them, too.  But I've also seen the "XL" under the "150" so that begs the question: What do you do if you want them both on there?  Put the "4X4" under the "XL?"  Again, this is where some clear photos from the era would help.  
Since you have a Flareside, I think I would place the "4x4" emblem on the lower right side of the tailgate, on that thin raised portion.

kramttocs wrote
Yes.

salans7 wrote
I'm wondering if maybe the standard trim trucks were the ones to get the 4x2 and 4x4 emblems since they would not have the XL or XLT badges to go in that place.
I *think* this would be true.  And those emblems were probably dropped in the later years.  I have seen some of the later Bullnose trucks with nothing there at all.

salans7 wrote
Some if not all of the Diesel trucks had a "Diesel" emblem where Lariat has an "Overdrive" emblem on the tailgate.
I have seen some mid-1985 and 1986 trucks with an "ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION" emblem in that same spot.

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
LARIAT 85 wrote
Jmac1773 wrote
Since you have a Flareside, I think I would place the "4x4" emblem on the lower right side of the tailgate, on that thin raised portion.

kramttocs wrote
Yes.

salans7 wrote
I'm wondering if maybe the standard trim trucks were the ones to get the 4x2 and 4x4 emblems since they would not have the XL or XLT badges to go in that place.
I *think* this would be true.  And those emblems were probably dropped in the later years.  I have seen some of the later Bullnose trucks with nothing there at all.

salans7 wrote
I have seen some mid-1985 and 1986 trucks with an "ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION" emblem in that same spot.
When do you suppose they used those 4x2 emblems on the F series of trucks?  My '82 Flareside we got used in '92 and it never had those 4x2 emblems on it and there was never any of that black glue that remains after the emblem falls off.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Rusty_S85 wrote
When do you suppose they used those 4x2 emblems on the F series of trucks?  My '82 Flareside we got used in '92 and it never had those 4x2 emblems on it and there was never any of that black glue that remains after the emblem falls off.
My guess would be the 1980 and 1981 standard trim level trucks.  Those first two years had different emblems and a different grille, which makes these models look unique.

1982 brought a lot of little changes to the Bullnoses - including the emblems - and the "4x2" and "4x4" emblems were probably dropped after that.

In fact, I would group the Bullnoses like this:

1980/1981
1982 - 1984
1985/1986

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rick - That 4x4 badge has an E3TZ prefix on it.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
Rick - That 4x4 badge has an E3TZ prefix on it.
In that case, I guess my guess was wrong!

Perhaps they were only on the F100 models?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I truly do not know.  I've never seen one of them, but the MPC sure shows them.