classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
104 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 460 mild performance build

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree on the propane. Been there, done that, and won’t again. EVERYTHING rusted. 🙈

On the die grinder, see if they’ll swap. If so, there’s your answer. If not then it is a tough choice. Not sure which one you have, but they have a long-necked one that might be handy to reach in deep with.

On the repair, can you feel it?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A valve head must have come off because a chunk of aluminum piston wouldn't have done that to an iron head.
Obviously it was milled flat when the head was resurfaced.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that was my assumption. And I’m sure the piston looked perfect. 🙈

Was just wondering how flat it is. Looks can be deceiving, but it looks like there’s a slight bump. Apparently not.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, nfg on the die grinder because I don't have my paper receipt with me.
I'll buy better quality and replace the bearing in this one.

Less than an hour on it and it already stb.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oops!
No snap ring.
Idiots.

Some bearing retainer should hold until I can get the right size.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Damn, what did you expect from HF, as I told a good friend, HF and Northern Tool both sell Chinese crap, Northern's seems to be a little higher quality.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I expected it would last more than an hour.....

It ok
 I've got a metric snap ring now
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Just getting done with today's running around.

I'm going to put the Chineseium die grinder back together and I'll be porting in the morning, before work.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like you already have the long-necked die grinder from Harbor Freight.  Hope you have it fixed.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's working now.

I want to print some of Scott's pictures from his website so I don't have to expose my tablet to all the iron filings
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good plan, Stan!  I killed the speaker on 3 iPhones with metal filings.  That was before I realized that it was the filings that were doing it.  Now I have a Lifeproof case, which works to stop the filings, but also stops the sound going in.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Just get a pair of earbuds.
It's not like you have any fidelity from the phone over the grinder noise anyhow.

One nice thing about an electric grinder, they don't get freezing cold in your hand.
The weight is a little too much but I don't imagine a suspension system would offer enough flexibility.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wasn't using the phone during grinding.  In fact, it was in my pocket.  But the filings got through nonetheless.

Yes, electric doesn't get cold like air tools do.  Good luck in the morn.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gee, I don't have a problem with my lifeproof case.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't with my first one.  But it wore out so they sent me a new one, and EVERYBODY complains about not being able to hear me after I installed it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't understand the point of these armored cases anymore.
I had a Otterbox back when the only smart phone available was from that fruity company that puts form before function.

There are phones on the market that are IP67, there are phones with shatterPROOF screens, there are phones that have expandable memory,  or allow you root access.

Mine is machined from aluminum bullet, and hard anodized.
The only reason I have a polycarbonate bumper sleeve on it is because Qi won't pass through metal,
And I need something to keep the wireless charging sticker from snagging on my pocket.
So i customize it by cutting a picture postcard (remember those?) and slipping it in the back.

If you're going to make a fashion statement do it in style.

Glass may be radio transparent and resistant to most liquids but -to me- it doesn't make a wise choice for something that rides in my pocket 18/24.

I need to not lose my grip when wet.
I put it down on concrete and stone.
I'm a dirty individual that some times gets sand or grinding grit in my clothing.
I knock it off the nightstand on occasion.
I don't need to pay more than my annual car insurance for a frail tracking beacon.

/rant off/ I guess....  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
After having killed three phones I came to the conclusion that protection from metal dust was essential. The Lifeproof case provides that because it is sealed in order to be waterproof. Plus, it has the necessary cushioning to protect the phone when I drop it. And, you can put a screen saver on before placing it in the case in order to protect the screen itself.

But, as said, it also impedes the sound to the mike. And it adds considerable bulk. So I think I’ll buy an Otterbox the next round.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm really happy with just my Ringke fusion case and a screen protector.

As for what I did today (so far)
I spent some time roughing out the ports in one of my heads.

I also bent a burr and nicked an intake seat when the cord caught on the other end of the head.

Hard to get good pics when working in a shipping container.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I liked the original post: “sent a burrito”. 😎

I think I see the nick. Will it lap out?  I did that on the Windsor heads I ported and it did lap out, but took some work.

Anyway, I’m impressed by how clean you are keeping it since I know there has to be lots of metal dust flying around. Is the vacuum to the combustion chamber idea working?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I haven't gotten to making it yet.

My tiny generator has a hard time running anything more than the lights and grinder *or* vacuum.

I did get an inverter at Harbor Freight yesterday.
 Jim,