104 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 460 mild performance build

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
For anyone.
I replaced mine in the spring, and already have a spare.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well.... One step closer to a short block.

This is an awful lot of work for just a chunk of iron.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It wasn’t just for a chunk of iron. It was also for your friend Bill, and for me. 😉
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If it wasn't for you and Bill I would have flipped the truck on its side with the wheel lift and fired up the cutoff saw to sever the engine crossmember.
Really!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I'm going to post the really nice slave and my 0-08452s Holley in the parts for sale thread.

Time to get this engine thread back on track.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, it's been a couple of weeks.  

I'm going to start porting these heads.
Pulled the valves and everything looks good.
I need to beef up the head stands I knocked together. They're just not up to the task.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those valves look good, from what I can see. And given the little, if any, carbon in the combustion chambers, you may have guess right about the origin of those heads. They may have been running on natural gas.

Porting is dirty work from the amount of iron dust that flies around, but at least you shouldn’t have carbon on top of it. 👍

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
These heads are freshly rebuilt.

Didn't you see the overheat button and paint marker on the ends?

Just a lot of shop dust and some surface rust from sitting.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahhh!  Yes, I saw the button, but didn't think about what it meant.  Ok, then as long as you don't nick the seats you should be good to go when the porting is done.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The button has an alloy pellet (like solder, or woods metal) at its center.

If the solder melts out the head has overheated and the warranty is void.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, Bill has me interested in a wideband afr for this truck.
If I can adapt the Superduty Y-pipe to my carb exhaust manifolds I will have better scavenging AND a bung.

For now I'm going to ask for opinions and experience.
I personally prefer analog to digital gauges.
I think it asks less of my feeble processing power to glance at a needle and see if it is centered -or in the red- than observe a number and decide what that means.
Obviously response time and damping are also factors, but I know digital appliances have come a long way since my biases were set.

The Innovate MTX-AL with a black face and bezel is tickling my fancy right now.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the AEM Failsafe Wideband. It has boost/vacuum readout as well as AFR, and you can do either as the digital reoudout and the other as the “analog” dial.

It works pretty well, but it hasn’t always responded to my programming, which is done with a laptop. For instance, you can change where the dial is supposed to be red, where it should be orange, and where green. But last I tried to change that it ignored me.

But it works and seems accurate.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You know, I hadn't thought about having a vacuum gauge......  (insert light bulb emoji)

Surely there's no driving a built big block 4x4 truck "economically" but I do have plenty of unused vacuum ports.

I am kind of stumbling along with this trying to process the wealth of information Scott provides, collecting bits and pieces on zero budget, with no real facilities.
And as you said 'having some time to work on my own projects'
I do a lot of "charity work" for others that don't really need it free.
That is going to have to change while still helping those in need.

I should do as you have, and speak to the guru.
I didn't want to take his time until I got the block torn down.
Given how well that truck ran and the mileage, I figure I might get away with 0-0, no rod reconditioning and a simple bore cleanup.
but, you never know until you actually see it.

Building a 466 is going to be a lot simpler and cheaper than a stroker.
Anyway, the basic World Parts rebuild kit, block machining, and whatever cam kit Scott provides is about all the budget I have.
My priority now should be a warm and clean place to assemble it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yeah, “big block” and “economy” don’t belong in the same sentence. But when you program that gauge so that anything less than 10” of vacuum turns it red you’ll quickly get a good idea of what your right foot is doing to your gas mileage.

And yes, warm and clean would be a big help on assembling an engine. But don’t low-ball the engine so much that you are disappointed in the end. The other one is still running, so maybe stretch the time a bit to get more money so you can “do it your way”?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
After beefing up my stands.

I did a little gasket matching this morning.

I'm needing a way to pull the filings through the port and illuminate the deeper recesses.
Going to work on a vacuum adapter today. I'll
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Progress is good!  👍

It would be a huge help if you had a vacuum attached to the combustion chamber such that the filings were pulled out as you grind. I didn’t think of that when it ported, but the filings were everywhere.

And a light on a stalk would help as you could direct it. I have a $12 one from IKEA that would do the trick.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have a little led flex light that I think I'm going to incorporate into the adapter.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That would be even better if the light came from the backside. 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
It's out of the teens this morning, and a balmy 22°.
I think I'm going over to Harbor Freight later to get an inverter big enough to run a milk house heater.
My little generator will run the led lighting and die grinder but not 1800W on top of that.
I refuse to burn propane in a sealed box around raw iron.
Too much condensation.

I need to move forward with the engine.
It's time to check and deck the block, and order a cam.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well..... I've killed the first Harbor Freight die grinder and I haven't even got to the actual porting yet.

Maybe they will return this one.
Without power to run a big compressor I'm stuck with electric.
Should I just keep eating these up, or bite the bullet on a good one?
Brands???   Milwaukee?

Something came apart in this cylinder before.

Intake match

Jim,