classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
78 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1980 F150 Shortbox 4x4

FuzzFace2
You sure that is primer it looks to good to be primer

On the wrap I have thought about it on mine but I would need to farm that out as I have never done that before. When I paint my truck I can say I have done everything (so far) other than the pressing out / in of the kingpin bushings to the spindles.

On the projection head lights will you be doing a write up on parts used, what is needed to install and how they work?
I like the projection lights on the wifes Subie but don't know if I would like them on my truck mainly the look.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

gtanns
Yup it's the primer! I'll do a write up on the projection headlights when i get there for sure.

Gastank Update. The guy I sourced for the tank is away travelling till April 1, so I'll probably have both tanks completed by 2nd week of April.
This is the process so far. He came up with some CAD drawings, and has started fabricating the driver side tank. He's using 3/16" steel, capacity should abuot 180 litres, or 47 gallons, so enough to get to the backtrails!

I also picked up a sender, pump, and vent from Summit:

CAD drawing for Driver side:

Actual progress on Driver side:

CAD drawing for Passenger side tank (yet to start fabbing this one)
1980 F150 Ranger shortbox 4x4 (351M <-- Rebuild happening now)
Eaton true trac limited slip 3.50; wilwood disc brakes
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
gtanns wrote
He's using 3/16" steel...

Actual progress on Driver side:
 That doesn't look like steel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by gtanns
Tank looks pretty!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

gtanns
In reply to this post by Steve83
Yup that's cause it's aluminum lol
Reply | Threaded
|

gtanns
Some late night updates! Time is goin fast now and its coming together quick.

Ripped out the inside firewall stuff and everything, dynamat and insulation on the floor. thought i had a leak but ended up when you dump a lot of water on the windsheild the volume is too much flow for the little air vent in the door by the highbeam switch. cleaned out some muck that had been stuck in there years.

Engine in and headers on; 2000 b&m torque converter

Ps header is touching the frame, just. on the one pipe, gonna take it off and nudge it over/make it fit here with a 2x4 maybe, it touches between a crossmember on the frame.

Ds header is pretty close to the oilpan, going to do the same here. There are some pretty great heatshield companies out there, so probably use some here also with some air clearance.

the ds header had to take out the drive shaft, and will have to take off the dipstick tube also and then snake it back to the pan. I just bent the tube enough to mock up the ds header first.

Going to run side dump 2.5 exhaust on both ds adn ps and route them under, and then along the outside frame with a flex join and then 45 in front of the rear wheels

Comin along though! That's it for today
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It sure is looking good!  Engine looks great.  What did you wind up using as pistons and cam?  Carb?

Hope you did get the leak fixed.  Those things are pesky and can be a major problem.

On the headers, those issues are one of the reasons I don't like headers.  Big Blue's drivers's side header is touching the frame and makes serious clunks as you shift gears.  

Anyway, it really is coming together nicely!  You think you'll have it running over the holiday?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

gtanns
I'm going to have to get back to you on the pistons and camshaft. I know they were Silv-o-lite pistons and a comp cam flat tappet. (I thought i was getting a roller cam, so i was kinda choked about that). Gosh does this ever take a while lol..been non-stop on this thing. I was expecting some hiccups, but yeah.. there are always more than you anticipate!   I'm getting married Oct 12th so REALLY doing my best to get this thing rolling by then!

Here are a string of updates:

HEADERS:
Hooker 6916HKR - I had some trouble fitting these as the pipe was touching the frame on PS and also very close to the oilpan on DS. After three rounds of heating and banging around, they fit! Wrapped them in DEI Titanium header wrap.

EXHAUST:
Dual side dump exhaust routed quite nicely actually. I was all stressed about where to route these the way I wanted, then had an aha moment and they routed very nicely ! Magnaflow 12256 I think and 304 stainless 2.5" pipe. I just polished the tips. Also not seen in the pic, the DS exhaust has the FiTech oxygen sensor mounted near the front

INTERIOR VINYL:
Used this stuff called Rapper Xtreme. it's 4-way stretch snowmobile vinyl rated for like -40. And I got this contact adhesive called DAP Weldwood Contact Adhesive. Couldn't find it in Canada so i ordered to my American mailbox and brought it over. It is top notch. Highly recommend!

For the doors do a rough trace and then start from the middle out. The vinyl stretches nice, but don't over stretch it, or you will be left with a ripple at the end. After one part sticks, map it out with your hands and use a sharpie to mark the underside some points where to spread the glue for the next part, and so on.

With the headliner, i had the advantage of having the back window out so i used clamps to hold up the vinyl while i marked it with a sharpie. I made guideline marks and then did the same thing and glued one section at a time. i put painters around the edges so that the contact cement wouldn't glue down on the edges. The interior plastic trim finishes about 1/4" off the ceiling. The vinyl is not that thick, so I cut pieces of an old headliner and then glued them around the edges at the end to finish it (you can see this in the photo of the interior light).

Behind the seat same idea.. i put some relief cuts in that series of dimples across the back

EXTERIOR VINYL WRAP:

I bought 3M Satin Black vinyl, and hired this guy to come out and do it. Unforuntately, there were some delays getting him to come out to finish so it put the project behind a month,  but it's finished now and the work is good. I used black plastidip to spray parts of that piece between the hood and the windshield (i took this from a 1987 so instead of the straight holes, it's a LOT of perforations)

GASTANK & REAR WINDOW:

Tank is in and I used this pump  and this sending unit and have 3/8 PTFE braided line with an inline 100 micron filter. Got the charcoal filter line plumbed in and then have another air vent line that will thread into the side of the filler neck.

After the vinyl was done, I could put in the back window. Got the lightest tint available from CR Laurence for the window. Stretched the new rubber around it and then took a 1/8" string and ran it along the inside of the rubber. Had some helpers hold it in place and i worked the rubber in starting in the bottom middle and towards the corners pulling the string. Of course the string broke a couple times. There was a lot of sweat and swearing during this process, and blood actually from inadvertently punching myself in the head when the string broke, but with the help of additional hands and a plastic wedge, we were able to get it in. I put Black auto adhesive in the corners just to secure any potential gaps... thought i had it covered, but then unforuntately noticed a bit of water along the bottom DS section of the window after a rainstorm...will investigate further later, but it's good for now!

Reply | Threaded
|

gtanns
COOLING:
I bought a 3 row aluminum rad from Rock Auto that fit the old brackets for the original stock rad.
I also put in new tranny fluid (and yes loaded the B&M torque converter with fluid too when we put that in!) and then had another radiator laying around, so used that and mounted it in front of the big rad on the PS. Also, i picked up a power steering rad from an old HD F250 and installed that on the DS. I don't have a photo of the shroud/fans right now, but i've got two electric fans in there, and mounted a thermostat switch in the radiator to trigger the fans.

Project was taking too long at these guys barn, so for the last part here, I've had it towed to a shop that is going to get everything tight and hopefully have this puppy purring within a couple weeks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  You've done a LOT of work!  

It is really taking shape.  I'd never thought of new vinyl on a door panel, or many of the other things you've done.  Can't wait for it to be completed and hear the "I LOVE IT!!!" report.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
gtanns wrote
Lookin' good gtanns! Please do post up some glamour shots when it's all fired up and rollin'!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

gtanns
Hey guys !!

Well finally started the engine up a couple days ago !! Gosh what a feeling.. Life going a million miles a minute, right now, I'm getting married Oct 12, and doing my best to get this thing rolling full forse!
Got the lights loosely wired up last night and slugged er along to the alignment shop today, to the transmission shop to put in the kickdown bar thing tmw.. One thing I'm missing is this: Ford part 22023  - the key lock retainer for both sides. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td1084i20 You guys were chatting about it in here, but any idea where I can buy one of these??

Is it the same retainer on any model 1980-86?
EX, can i just pull one at the wrecker? Any ASAP input very appreciated, trying to get this sorted ASAP so i can lock the truck in public.

Thanks keep you guys posted.. truck sounds awesome

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well a HUGE congratulations all around!  
Great things are happening all at once.

Yes, AFAIK those retainer clips are pretty universal.
I have OBS locks in my truck -because I wanted one key for all- and even those retainers are the same.

I do not have a source for just the clips.
But when I ordered a set of the later locks that are all keyed alike they came with new clips.

I think the discussion is there, but I got Standard Automotive cylinders from Amazon, the three of them weren't but $20 if I recall.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

As for the lock retainer, all 1980 through at least 1989 F-Series trucks used the same ones.  And probably later but my catalog ends in '89.  But just the F-Series trucks.  The E-Series vans, the little Rangers and Broncos, etc all used different ones.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Same for all '80-95 F-series/Broncos.  I'm not sure about '96/7 because the lock cylinder itself got slightly larger, so I assume the clip did, too.  Read both TSBs in this caption:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Maybe the Bronco II's?
A Bronco is mostly a crew cab grafted to a short bed.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That's a good description of a 4-door Bronco, but a stock Bronco uses no crew-cab-specific parts.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
gtanns wrote
but any idea where I can buy one of these??

Is it the same retainer on any model 1980-86?
EX, can i just pull one at the wrecker? Any ASAP input very appreciated, trying to get this sorted ASAP so i can lock the truck in public.
Truck looks great gtanns, keep it up!

You can pull one of those lock clips at the junkyard, or order from LMC.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Steve83
Except the floor pan?
Steve83 wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
......a stock Bronco uses no crew-cab-specific parts.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Except the floor pan?
A Bronco's floor pan is specific to a Bronco - it's no more similar to a CC floor pan than to an X-cab or std. cab.