zf-5 or any transmission with over drive swap

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: zf-5 or any transmission with over drive swap

Nothing Special
Gear Vendors go on the output of the transfer case (or the trans in a 2WD application).  So they don't change the front driveshaft, but they do require shortening the rear.  And since they only change the speed of the rear driveshaft they can only be used in 2WD.

I think Dave is running an Advance Adapters(?) Ranger overdrive which (I believe) goes in front of the trans.  It works in 2 and 4WD, but it requires moving the trans and transfer case back which affects shifter locations.  And it requires changing both driveshafts.

As an aside, personally I don't see changing driveshafts being as big a deal as many make it out to be.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but every time I've had a driveshaft lengthened or shortened it's been under $150.  Not couch change, but not a make or break amount either.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The OP's comment "as long as things stay cheap, I'm happy" kinda flies in the face of an extra $300 for shaft work and (likely) four new universals (on top of whatever an overdrive unit costs)

Of course I got my Zf cheaper than the new flywheel and clutch I needed to install it.... so there is THAT.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Nothing Special wrote
Gear Vendors go on the output of the transfer case (or the trans in a 2WD application).  So they don't change the front driveshaft, but they do require shortening the rear.  And since they only change the speed of the rear driveshaft they can only be used in 2WD.

I think Dave is running an Advance Adapters(?) Ranger overdrive which (I believe) goes in front of the trans.  It works in 2 and 4WD, but it requires moving the trans and transfer case back which affects shifter locations.  And it requires changing both driveshafts.

As an aside, personally I don't see changing driveshafts being as big a deal as many make it out to be.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but every time I've had a driveshaft lengthened or shortened it's been under $150.  Not couch change, but not a make or break amount either.
You are right, running the AA Ranger OD and it dose fit between the motor & trans pushing everything back 7.5 inches.

My new drive shaft was think $300 but I needed a new tube, the old had a dent, and they replaced 1 joint end and 2 new joints.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I came across a piece of information that I couldn't independently verify. If it's true, it would be very helpful to know. Is it true that transfer case shifter linkage between C6/T18/AOD/ZF5 is the same for a given transfer case model? So If someone switched out a T18 for a ZF5 (and kept the same transfer case) they could reuse all of their transfer case shifter linkage and hardware? It seems plausible given the boss location but has anyone actually doe a comparison? I think the ZF5 boss is metric, but the rest of it seems plausible?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jein.  Sorry, that's German slang for yes and no.  The linkage will fit, but it won't work quite right.  That's because the pivot point is in a slightly different position and the linkage needs to be a bit longer.  Here's how I've done that:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
I swapped my T-19 for the Zf-5 12 years ago.
I know the Zf linkage didn't work, but I don't recall having to modify the T-19 linkage to fit.
I did have it off a couple of years back when I lunched my transfer case up in Vermont.

I'll have to get under there and take a picture.
I want to take a pic of my emergency brake equalizer anyhow as Im trying to see if a CJ5 jeep unit will work for me.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's true, Jim.  I don't think I had to modify the linkage on Big Blue.  Just on Dad's truck.  I'll look in a day or two to see what I did to BB.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Megiddo
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
I swapped in a ZF5 instead of the NP435 behind my 351.  I had 3 issues to overcome and all were because the ZF5 was about 2 inches longer.
1) I had to move the crossmember back 2 inches.  To do this I had to drill new holes in the frame.  I also slotted the front hole on the crossmember gussets so I could use the original back bolt hole for the relocated front bolt.
2) New drive shafts.  I had the rear shaft shortened and found the correct length front shaft in a junk yard
3) Transfer case linkage.  I copied the method Gary showed above of welding a couple of nuts to the linkage and then using a bolt to lengthen it.  That also let me adjust the linkage easily.

I did also need a transmission tunnel cover from an '87 truck (doesn't have the flat "step" of the bullnose era covers) to fit over the ZF and I cut a hole in it to fit my original transfer case shifter.

I am happy with the swap.
1984 F250 4x4 351W  ZF5-42
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the info.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
This one will work if you’re nearby: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1458671034596560/
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

abronson47
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Wow! Thanks for all of the information. Sheesh!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ask and you will receive.