Bullnose Forums

Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware

A few of the "I have no idea what this is or what it goes to" things I've noticed. I'm guessing maybe emissions stuff that has been deleted? It's all in one area, maybe stuff that all hooks together?

Those are charcoal canisters for evaporative emissions.

The fuel tank vents run up the passenger side frame rail in a thin metal tube.

The other is collecting fumes from the carburetor bowl vent.

You can probably see this in the vacuum routing diagram found on the radiator support.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are charcoal canisters for evaporative emissions.

The fuel tank vents run up the passenger side frame rail in a thin metal tube.

The other is collecting fumes from the carburetor bowl vent.

You can probably see this in the vacuum routing diagram found on the radiator support.

And being you have 2 containers would show you have dual tanks.

One container piggy backs to the other and vacuum is pulled from 1 that in turns pulls from the other.

As said the vacuum sticker should show how it all gets run.

Mine the vacuum is off the top of the PCV valve to a purge valve then to the canister IIRC.

Because I dont have a purge valve I ran the vacuum right to the PCV but I put a restrictor (smallest carb jet I had and could be smaller) in the vacuum hose or you get a vacuum leak as it pulls to much vacuum.

Some say they get a gas fume smell if the canisters are not hooked up.

Only time I get that is when the truck is hot and I park it, the gas in the carb boils and it smells.

This is on a 81 with a 300 six and dual tanks and yes 2 canisters.

Dave ----

One container piggy backs to the other and vacuum is pulled from 1 that in turns pulls from the other.

Mine the vacuum is off the top of the PCV valve to a purge valve then to the canister IIRC.

Because I dont have a purge valve I ran the vacuum right to the PCV but I put a restrictor (smallest carb jet I had and could be smaller) in the vacuum hose or you get a vacuum leak as it pulls to much vacuum.

Only time I get that is when the truck is hot and I park it, the gas in the carb boils and it smells.

Dave ----

It’s actually single tank. Of course, I can’t speak for its history before about 2005, when the prior owner bought it.

14E08189-D859-44D8-A0C2-6298A9955D04.jpeg.407399e3dcf67988e623fca94e3af8bf.jpeg

Looks like I need to spend some time studying this:

3D89A1F3-A308-42D3-B375-BB4DE718CD02.jpeg.b06562840cf79fe7b81a5fc2c301262c.jpeg

Dave ----

It’s actually single tank. Of course, I can’t speak for its history before about 2005, when the prior owner bought it.

I just got done replacing belts. Power steering works! Yay! I swapped the negative cable over to and got rid of the really badly cracked original.

Thought I’d take a minute to show the negative cable I bought of rock auto for anyone else needing to replace theirs. I liked that it actually has the body ground point on it.

It’s actually slightly longer than the original, which I liked as it gives a bit of slack I was lacking before.

Only issue were the mounting holes were slightly small. The hole for the block I drilled out to 29/64 (I’d go 15/32 next time to give it a bit more play). The body mount hole was also a bit small, which I didn’t realize until I already had it bolted to the block. It was close enough that the self tapping bolt was able to bite through it. I’d recommend taking care of that beforehand though as it would be easier.

Overall, it seems a quality cable, and I’m glad I eliminated the very stiff and cracked original.

9F54B8C5-6D8D-4D6C-BCB6-BAD449FDB56B.jpeg.e1ac19cad48d5eb48635ae01acf68191.jpeg

9D78F552-9546-454C-94D2-A61B629ECADF.jpeg.23319854b6c9360199b6159ed00cfb54.jpeg

47B9A936-A612-46B4-BEA0-ACB2F1AD445F.jpeg.3afeab7d1e777feb82649ff020d59250.jpeg

AB206C17-C455-4519-A368-91283038CF0F.jpeg.a96bd8ad2af341e3785f3f58ed05589e.jpeg

BF4F4860-C1D3-4D25-AFDD-B3D6C961A184.thumb.jpeg.37ca8fd51fbc6268c45b9e4a3618a05a.jpeg

72419237-9A5D-49D3-9BC4-0B475705A352.jpeg.03902800098e32dce64496f5d0fc85f5.jpeg

F503427B-5D3F-4506-820D-A214625E841B.jpeg.a0ff07ce8784df12beb6412dace424a5.jpeg

Dave ----

Well, the diagram shows two charcoal canisters, and two of all the control valves.

I'd assume one of the previous owners "ripped out all that smog crap!"

If nothing but the boxes is left, and you don't need them functional for inspection I'd say forget about it.

Gary should have a glossary (Rosetta Stone 🤣) for all the vacuum abbreviations, but I'm not sure where it is.

Well, the diagram shows two charcoal canisters, and two of all the control valves.

I'd assume one of the previous owners "ripped out all that smog crap!"

If nothing but the boxes is left, and you don't need them functional for inspection I'd say forget about it.

Gary should have a glossary (Rosetta Stone 🤣) for all the vacuum abbreviations, but I'm not sure where it is.

Thanks for the report on the ground cable. Should save people a lot of looking. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I agree with Jim, if everything is gone on the vent valves I'd do without that function. In fact I did on Big Blu, and have no problems.

But the Rosetta Stone on vacuum abbreviations is at Documentation/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Systems Acronyms.

Thanks for the report on the ground cable. Should save people a lot of looking. :nabble_smiley_good:

And I agree with Jim, if everything is gone on the vent valves I'd do without that function. In fact I did on Big Blu, and have no problems.

But the Rosetta Stone on vacuum abbreviations is at Documentation/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Systems Acronyms.

I had hoped to have Larry moving under his own power today, but it kept stalling on me when I'd put it in gear. I think I also ran the battery down a lot after cranking it so many times today (it died on me a bunch of times until I adjusted the idle screw to bring the rpms up a smidge) so I decided to call it a night after hooking up the trickle charger.

Not sure how soon I'll get back to it... Tomorrow we'll be busy with church and I'm having oral surgery Monday. Two teeth pulled and a bone graft. Sounds like fun! I'm off work a few days to heal up from that so I may not get to touch it again until next Saturday.

Nothing exciting, but here's my latest video:

I just got done replacing belts. Power steering works! Yay! I swapped the negative cable over to and got rid of the really badly cracked original.

Thought I’d take a minute to show the negative cable I bought of rock auto for anyone else needing to replace theirs. I liked that it actually has the body ground point on it.

It’s actually slightly longer than the original, which I liked as it gives a bit of slack I was lacking before.

Only issue were the mounting holes were slightly small. The hole for the block I drilled out to 29/64 (I’d go 15/32 next time to give it a bit more play). The body mount hole was also a bit small, which I didn’t realize until I already had it bolted to the block. It was close enough that the self tapping bolt was able to bite through it. I’d recommend taking care of that beforehand though as it would be easier.

Overall, it seems a quality cable, and I’m glad I eliminated the very stiff and cracked original.

Thanks for the product endorsement and part number. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I have a tapered hand reamer in my auto electric tool box that I use for opening up eyelets and lugs when need be.

Probably bought it at Radio Shack around 1980. Total garbage but it doesn't get dull cutting copper.

Hope your surgery goes well and you get your carburetor sorted out.

I had hoped to have Larry moving under his own power today, but it kept stalling on me when I'd put it in gear. I think I also ran the battery down a lot after cranking it so many times today (it died on me a bunch of times until I adjusted the idle screw to bring the rpms up a smidge) so I decided to call it a night after hooking up the trickle charger.

Not sure how soon I'll get back to it... Tomorrow we'll be busy with church and I'm having oral surgery Monday. Two teeth pulled and a bone graft. Sounds like fun! I'm off work a few days to heal up from that so I may not get to touch it again until next Saturday.

Nothing exciting, but here's my latest video:

Larry is sounding good. :nabble_smiley_good:

The battery voltage looks right on as well. So you are slowly peeling the onion, doing the crying, and peeling again. Some day you'll have a Bloomin' Onion!

And I hope your surgery goes well. That sounds painful. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Larry is sounding good. :nabble_smiley_good:

The battery voltage looks right on as well. So you are slowly peeling the onion, doing the crying, and peeling again. Some day you'll have a Bloomin' Onion!

And I hope your surgery goes well. That sounds painful. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Nice vid. Good work on Larry.

Best of luck with the surgery!