Bullnose Forums

300 six clutch pivot 💩💩💩😩

Ford F834

I went to Kingman today and had the dreaded failure of the clutch pivot pin on my 81. I did not know this was such a difficult part to source until I read the comments here on the NOS pieces that David linked in the past…

I need to get mine fixed, even if it is a temporary repair. In my case, it was the threaded stud that broke off in the engine block… Does anyone here know the bolt size and thread count of the pivot pin threaded stud? And the length? I’m hoping David/FuzzFace2 may know since he fabricated one 🤷‍♂️

I have to go about extracting mine, and it would be helpful to know that so I can try to thread in or weld on a substitute stud. I’m almost at the point of converting to hydraulic, but the water hauling never stops here and I need to do SOMETHING as soon as possible…

I did manage to drive it home since I have no clutch interrupt switch, and I was able to float gears. We were out of water and I even hauled one tank with my daughter driving ahead to scout for me so I could roll through the one stop sign on my route. Sorry Autozone starter… be strong!!! 😬

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! Sorry to see that! Glad you made it home.

I don’t know the dimensions and am not in a position to look for them at the moment. I’m thinking we figured it out and they are in a precious post. Maybe someone else can find them?

Found a moment and did some searching. Dave/Fuzzface2 said the thread is 9/16-12. I’m not sure how that was determined because I didn’t reread all of the thread and can’t get the system to give me a permalink to it on my phone. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But Dave appears to have purchased a new one so might be able to confirm it. I’ll tag him.

Found a moment and did some searching. Dave/Fuzzface2 said the thread is 9/16-12. I’m not sure how that was determined because I didn’t reread all of the thread and can’t get the system to give me a permalink to it on my phone. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But Dave appears to have purchased a new one so might be able to confirm it. I’ll tag him.

Gary, this thread?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Clutch-release-pivot-pin-E0TZ-7A535-A-NOS-tp64368p64894.html

Or maybe this one?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p119686.html

Sorry to hear yours broke.

I came up with the 9/16-12 by taking what was left of the pivot part out of the block and taking it to the local hardware store and matched it up with a bolt and found the thread size / pitch.

How where the plastic bushings on that pivot and the frame side pivot?

Also check the rod from the pedal to the cross bar for wear.

Each time mine broke I was able to use a pick and unscrew the threaded part out of the block.

I believe the threaded part dose not bottom out and why you can just unscrew it.

A quick run down of my failed fixes.

I bought 2 bolts of the right thread size / pitch for the threaded part and cut the head off 1 bolt.

I then tried to weld it to the pivot part.

Did you see "tried"? the weld did not penetrate really good and it broke again.

I used the second bolt and did almost the same thing but this time I used a roll pin and drilled the threaded part and the pivot in the center. I also welded it again.

This time it lasted longer put the weld still did not penetrate and I thought I turned up the juice more?

The NOS one I used this last time I got off Ebay a few years earlier and did not have time to get measurements before I had to install it as I had a show to take the truck to.

The last one that was posted on here was $150 if I remember, way to much for a spare.

IIRC the total length from the outer most part of the pivot to the end of threads was 3 inches but would need to check that. I think if you get the threaded part out of the block and put it to the pivot you should get the length.

It was also said that if you had the machines you could make 1 or a bunch from hex bar stock.

The hex stock so you had a way to tighten it into the block but I can't see why you can't use vice grips if you used round stock?

I dont know if what I posted will help or if I could be of any more help?

Dave G aka FuzzFace2

I came up with the 9/16-12 by taking what was left of the pivot part out of the block and taking it to the local hardware store and matched it up with a bolt and found the thread size / pitch.

Each time mine broke I was able to use a pick and unscrew the threaded part out of the block.

I believe the threaded part dose not bottom out and why you can just unscrew it.

I bought 2 bolts of the right thread size / pitch for the threaded part and cut the head off 1 bolt.

I used the second bolt and did almost the same thing but this time I used a roll pin and drilled the threaded part and the pivot in the center. I also welded it again.

This time it lasted longer put the weld still did not penetrate and I thought I turned up the juice more?

The NOS one I used this last time I got off Ebay a few years earlier and did not have time to get measurements before I had to install it as I had a show to take the truck to.

The last one that was posted on here was $150 if I remember, way to much for a spare.

IIRC the total length from the outer most part of the pivot to the end of threads was 3 inches but would need to check that. I think if you get the threaded part out of the block and put it to the pivot you should get the length.

It was also said that if you had the machines you could make 1 or a bunch from hex bar stock.

The hex stock so you had a way to tighten it into the block but I can't see why you can't use vice grips if you used round stock?

Dave G aka FuzzFace2

Thank you gentlemen for the information! This is very helpful, especially regarding fixes that did not last (which will keep me from repeating them)!

I gave it a good try to work the broken tip out of the block with a knife tip but it wouldn’t budge. I will try again with a stout awl, and or chisel tip and rotary tapping but I fear the worst which is I may end up needing to drill the center… which won’t be easy…

The plastic bushing is worn, but not terrible. The rest of the linkage has more wear and play than I would like but is still useable for a while if I can fix the pivot pin. I’m not a huge fan of hydraulic clutches in these, but it may be a necessary evil if the mechanical one is too hard to keep serviceable. I guess the number of 80-83 manual transmission trucks just isn’t enough to warrant aftermarket support… bummer. 😞

It is grasping at straws but I will probably try the local junkyard tomorrow “just in case”. You don’t know if you don’t look.

Dave G aka FuzzFace2

I just checked that ebay list from July 17 https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Clutch-release-pivot-stud-E0TZ-7A535-A-NOS-td121764.html

And the part is sold out but it list the part number and has a good picture of what it should look like when it is 1 piece.

Dave ----

I just checked that ebay list from July 17 https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Clutch-release-pivot-stud-E0TZ-7A535-A-NOS-td121764.html

And the part is sold out but it list the part number and has a good picture of what it should look like when it is 1 piece.

Dave ----

Dave - Thanks for responding. I knew you'd have the right info.

Jonathan - Good luck tomorrow. But if they don't have the mechanical piece see if they have the hydraulic piece awa the pedals and master/slave combo. And even the throwout arm as it is different:

7515-updated_orig.thumb.jpg.3d864b3059add36d6045c222d0f96ff8.jpg

Dave brought the broken nub to the hardware and matched it up.

When posting this pic of NOS side by side it was said that the pivot has a 1" hex and is 3" overall length.

I wish he had taken some more accurate dimensions with a digital caliper or something.... 🤷‍♂️

20220605_113043.jpg.4b0c29fc678d130200d14a57e8b0cfdb.jpg