Bullnose Forums

Muminvaters F250 scale 1:13

muminvater

Hi guys,

now I start with the chassis frame and the landing gear.

assy group 15 / chassis frame

The wheels must have a tire diameter of 65mm so that the model is consistent.

A frame and leaf suspension can then be installed on the rear axle as in the original.

The frame was constructed according to the drawing above. The location of the tank, its fastening straps, the spare wheel and the safety bracket were taken from many original photos with were set in scale in my CAD programm. It was a bit tricky caused of the vanishing point perspective of the photos and the technical perspective of the data. :nabble_anim_working:

The cut outs are necessary for the body floor. For to stabilize it when the chassis frame stands alone, an insert is needed (upper picture).

Mounting dome for rear damper.

The mounting plates for the twin beams will be screwed...

...to the cross member.

spring and damper bracket

assy group 22 / bumper

assy group 24 / underbody parts

tank

The corner radius get built under temperature, the small radius at the edge are profiles.

Because the Ford has tin-tank, crimpings and a welding flange must be added..

connection 1: inlet from the filler neck

connection 2: outlet with a cap.

Pos.3 vent pipe

The filling volume I have measured with 55ml

The clamping band for the tank is pinned to the chassis frame.

sparewheel

assy group 27 / chassis suspension rear

The manufacturer of the suspension struts (1) had the idea of ​​producing suspension struts with the look of a damper, i.e. the spring lies within the cylindrical housing. Since everything is made of aluminum, it should be possible to build an oil damper from it.

It is not so easy to find a tire-rim combination that corresponds to the required size. If the outside-Ø of 65mm fits roughly, the inside-Ø is much too large, so that only a relatively thin rubber pad results. If both are consistent, the width is completely oversized.

I found what I was looking for in the truck sector. There are actually a wide variety of tires with different profiles. Only the rims don't fit the F250.

The model for the design of the rim was the truck from Martin's Ranch. I will have the rims printed on a 3D printer using the MJF process. The material is PA12, a polyamide with low water absorption and very good strength. The quality is many times better than that of a filament printer and the reworking is correspondingly lower. After all, the imbalance should be as small as possible.

Each leaf spring is made out of a 0,5mm phosphorus bronze. The first pairing was too smooth, but a 2nd was quickly done.

For the upper damper screwing in the chassis frame there is already a pin.

For the lower one a bracket must be soldered to the outer axle tube.

The both half parts from the purchased XC-CC-01 Chassis must be shortened and modified.

I had to add new seats (??) for the ball bearings.

No. 1 is the attachment for the rim

1. Brake line from front to rear. Above the flex-connection

to make the landing gear shock strut compression

possible.

2. Junction for right to left

3. Brake line rear

4. Connection brake line to drum brake

5. Connection wire parking brake to drum brake

6. Wire parking brake

So it´s friday again... wish you a nice weekend :nabble_anim_working: Tobias

That is amazing! I will definitely want to see the finished project.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

now I start with the chassis frame and the landing gear.

assy group 15 / chassis frame

The wheels must have a tire diameter of 65mm so that the model is consistent.

A frame and leaf suspension can then be installed on the rear axle as in the original.

The frame was constructed according to the drawing above. The location of the tank, its fastening straps, the spare wheel and the safety bracket were taken from many original photos with were set in scale in my CAD programm. It was a bit tricky caused of the vanishing point perspective of the photos and the technical perspective of the data. :nabble_anim_working:

The cut outs are necessary for the body floor. For to stabilize it when the chassis frame stands alone, an insert is needed (upper picture).

Mounting dome for rear damper.

The mounting plates for the twin beams will be screwed...

...to the cross member.

Bild25.jpg.8994bc0cdcfbd431ec9040da93f2dcd0.jpg

spring and damper bracket

assy group 22 / bumper

assy group 24 / underbody parts

tank

The corner radius get built under temperature, the small radius at the edge are profiles.

Because the Ford has tin-tank, crimpings and a welding flange must be added..

connection 1: inlet from the filler neck

connection 2: outlet with a cap.

Pos.3 vent pipe

The filling volume I have measured with 55ml

The clamping band for the tank is pinned to the chassis frame.

sparewheel

assy group 27 / chassis suspension rear

The manufacturer of the suspension struts (1) had the idea of ​​producing suspension struts with the look of a damper, i.e. the spring lies within the cylindrical housing. Since everything is made of aluminum, it should be possible to build an oil damper from it.

It is not so easy to find a tire-rim combination that corresponds to the required size. If the outside-Ø of 65mm fits roughly, the inside-Ø is much too large, so that only a relatively thin rubber pad results. If both are consistent, the width is completely oversized.

I found what I was looking for in the truck sector. There are actually a wide variety of tires with different profiles. Only the rims don't fit the F250.

The model for the design of the rim was the truck from Martin's Ranch. I will have the rims printed on a 3D printer using the MJF process. The material is PA12, a polyamide with low water absorption and very good strength. The quality is many times better than that of a filament printer and the reworking is correspondingly lower. After all, the imbalance should be as small as possible.

Each leaf spring is made out of a 0,5mm phosphorus bronze. The first pairing was too smooth, but a 2nd was quickly done.

For the upper damper screwing in the chassis frame there is already a pin.

For the lower one a bracket must be soldered to the outer axle tube.

The both half parts from the purchased XC-CC-01 Chassis must be shortened and modified.

I had to add new seats (??) for the ball bearings.

No. 1 is the attachment for the rim

1. Brake line from front to rear. Above the flex-connection

to make the landing gear shock strut compression

possible.

2. Junction for right to left

3. Brake line rear

4. Connection brake line to drum brake

5. Connection wire parking brake to drum brake

6. Wire parking brake

Bild0.jpg.1d8a7f6a2f0f867c44c950cf7e44f5a7.jpg

So it´s friday again... wish you a nice weekend :nabble_anim_working: Tobias

moin moin to you,

assy group 28 / chassis suspension front

Bild20.jpg.ffaf9144eb37915d79e5ee8d3111b6ca.jpg

The Dana 44 axle is installed or recreated here.

The front axle differential is located in the left twin beam (1) whose pivot point is located far on the right side of the vehicle. The second bearing point is at the end of the radius arm (2), so that a triangle is spanned, the hypotenuse of which is the tilt axis of the left crossbeam.

The twin beam on the right (3) works in principle in the same way, but its pivot points are not a mirror image, which leads to an uneven compression result on the left / right.

Bild21.jpg.4354f7e486f7f682ca92b1c1bc4ae65d.jpg

The maximum compression and decompression is shown as an example on the left twin beam+/- 15°.

Left steering angle of 36 ° on the left twin beam with maximum compression +15°.

All attachment points, regardless of whether it is a twin beam, radius arm, damper or steering linkage, must be connected via balls in order to guarantee the kinematic degrees of freedom.

Bild22.jpg.d669cf56ce95fa441961911cb0e73d74.jpg

After the first sketching it was clear that the front axle would inevitably collide with the demister and the wiper motor. Lifted the vehicle by 4mm, which means 52mm in 1: 1, would significantly alleviate the problem.

Bild23.jpg.75aa62ba1771caa24348f24e6b9db3f5.jpg

Leaving the initially fought-for series basic dimensions was not so difficult. With the choice of the exterior and interior colors, which preceded the chassis design, I had long since discarded the series idea. And the lift suits the Ford quite well.

Why I leave the series idea I will explain in the chapter "coating".

The both twin beams and radius arms are milled on a small modell milling mashine with I had modified with digital slide gauges. The milling was an exiting task!

Bild24.jpg.ad2c5bbbcc5eb13e961448412ae4c8c2.jpg

In the center of the left twin beam the front axle differential is positioned. For this, the twin beam gets a hole with will be closed with a spherical plate.

Caused of it´s size the differential is only a fake. To get a functionally 4 wheel drive it necessary to insert the same gears as to the rear axle.

Bild25.jpg.8994bc0cdcfbd431ec9040da93f2dcd0.jpg

1. screwing twin beam

2. sphere for fastening to the chassis frame

Bild27.jpg.08c962ec6ee1efbe6c2de0deae89ebdd.jpg

1. linkage body

2. linkage lever

3. Inner ball bearing D6x10

4. outer ball bearing D5x8

5. screwing Twin Beam

6. screwing linkage lever

7. spherical head rod

Finally, the upper and lower surfaces edges were chamfered to minimize the forces when steering.

Bild28.jpg.5b8718b9d2cc9a4aae8b8ca4df1b6e37.jpg

For reasons of space, the brake disc had to be placed on the linkage body instead of on the axle. The brake shoes were created without the associated brackets because the model simply does not have the space for it.

These picture are still with a older version from the linkage body.:nabble_smiley_whistling:

Bild29.jpg.80fc04debad2fd74174967fdf5fdb8cb.jpg

Bild30.jpg.30f65359be778aa097b54bb697954ee9.jpg

1. Twin-Beam rhd

2. assy closing plate

3. assy radius-arm

4. assy linkage body

5. bracket coil spring

6. bracket damper

Bild31.jpg.2de793c8235c30fcc551a19ecaedf437.jpg

Bild32.jpg.2ce8d7385ce1e24b628f9bbe2f4e172d.jpg

1. Twin-Beam lhd

2. assy cover plate differential

3. assy radius-arm

4. assy linkage body

5. bracket coil spring

6. bracket damper

Bild26.jpg.5486c98c1947c9c6f1d39a36fbcc44a6.jpg

The coil spring has like the origin 8 pitches.

Bild33.jpg.a4bac78080df8e7c456c36b2e4f84b18.jpg

1. nut for rim

2. rim

3. carrier for the rim

4. spring lock washer

5. ball bearing (meanwhile there are 2)

6. semi axis with cardan joint

7. center axis

8. center cardan joint

9. ball bearing differential

10. differential axis rhd

11. joint axis

12. differential axis lhd

assy group 30 / transaxle

Bild34.jpg.66db24c5efa2a828d21c4614b9c497a4.jpg

Bild35.jpg.a38a9b7ccaceb0d66adf4d4f9283b970.jpg

Unfortunately, the trans case could not be build smaller and in scale. The smaller gears didn´t work. The distance of the two main axis is fix (transaxle to the front and transaxle to the rear). So I have to set 2 further gears for turning the rear transaxle clockwise and the front transaxle counterclockwise.

________________________________________________________________________________

Bild36.jpg.c7ca5d3cfbf26cc49c7418c731c0c8a2.jpg

Bild37.jpg.af9a18bfed5d2c84eafbd6663253d451.jpg

Bild40.jpg.f660dc77ab015c5a05baf98126645c28.jpg

Bild39.jpg.14fb33bee1635e842aadc7aa5683f30a.jpg

Bild38.jpg.b2e407568cc79ab13e1d7d8550ac5d7f.jpg

Bild0.jpg.1d8a7f6a2f0f867c44c950cf7e44f5a7.jpg

So that´s the report for today. The assembly group 29 / steering is still in work but some picutures already exists. I will make some new photos of the whole pick up tomorrow so far as it is.

see you :nabble_anim_working: Tobias

moin moin to you,

The front axle differential is located in the left twin beam (1) whose pivot point is located far on the right side of the vehicle. The second bearing point is at the end of the radius arm (2), so that a triangle is spanned, the hypotenuse of which is the tilt axis of the left crossbeam.

The twin beam on the right (3) works in principle in the same way, but its pivot points are not a mirror image, which leads to an uneven compression result on the left / right.

The maximum compression and decompression is shown as an example on the left twin beam+/- 15°.

Left steering angle of 36 ° on the left twin beam with maximum compression +15°.

All attachment points, regardless of whether it is a twin beam, radius arm, damper or steering linkage, must be connected via balls in order to guarantee the kinematic degrees of freedom.

After the first sketching it was clear that the front axle would inevitably collide with the demister and the wiper motor. Lifted the vehicle by 4mm, which means 52mm in 1: 1, would significantly alleviate the problem.

Leaving the initially fought-for series basic dimensions was not so difficult. With the choice of the exterior and interior colors, which preceded the chassis design, I had long since discarded the series idea. And the lift suits the Ford quite well.

The both twin beams and radius arms are milled on a small modell milling mashine with I had modified with digital slide gauges. The milling was an exiting task!

In the center of the left twin beam the front axle differential is positioned. For this, the twin beam gets a hole with will be closed with a spherical plate.

Caused of it´s size the differential is only a fake. To get a functionally 4 wheel drive it necessary to insert the same gears as to the rear axle.

1. screwing twin beam

1. linkage body

2. linkage lever

5. screwing Twin Beam

7. spherical head rod

Finally, the upper and lower surfaces edges were chamfered to minimize the forces when steering.

For reasons of space, the brake disc had to be placed on the linkage body instead of on the axle. The brake shoes were created without the associated brackets because the model simply does not have the space for it.

These picture are still with a older version from the linkage body.:nabble_smiley_whistling:

1. Twin-Beam rhd

2. assy closing plate

3. assy radius-arm

4. assy linkage body

5. bracket coil spring

6. bracket damper

1. Twin-Beam lhd

3. assy radius-arm

4. assy linkage body

5. bracket coil spring

6. bracket damper

1. nut for rim

2. rim

3. carrier for the rim

4. spring lock washer

7. center axis

8. center cardan joint

11. joint axis

Unfortunately, the trans case could not be build smaller and in scale. The smaller gears didn´t work. The distance of the two main axis is fix (transaxle to the front and transaxle to the rear). So I have to set 2 further gears for turning the rear transaxle clockwise and the front transaxle counterclockwise.

________________________________________________________________________________

So that´s the report for today. The assembly group 29 / steering is still in work but some picutures already exists. I will make some new photos of the whole pick up tomorrow so far as it is.

In Brit parlance, I am gobsmacked: utterly astonished; astounded! :nabble_smiley_oh:

That is really excellent work. It is like building a watch! Can't wait to see the next section.

moin moin to you,

1. screwing twin beam

1. linkage body

2. linkage lever

5. screwing Twin Beam

7. spherical head rod

1. Twin-Beam rhd

2. assy closing plate

3. assy radius-arm

4. assy linkage body

5. bracket coil spring

6. bracket damper

1. Twin-Beam lhd

3. assy radius-arm

4. assy linkage body

5. bracket coil spring

6. bracket damper

1. nut for rim

2. rim

3. carrier for the rim

4. spring lock washer

7. center axis

8. center cardan joint

11. joint axis

Thank you for sharing the details. :nabble_anim_handshake:

The model machining is very impressive.

I imagine getting the geometry right would be a lot more difficult without CAD.

Thank you for sharing the details. :nabble_anim_handshake:

The model machining is very impressive.

I imagine getting the geometry right would be a lot more difficult without CAD.

Hi Guys, thank you all for your comments :nabble_smiley_good: Obviously there´s still no big error happen in the buildup otherwise you had told me...

@ Jim: yes, you are right. It would be a lot more difficult without CAD, precisely because I am a CAD-guy. Before starting sth I need the data. And, of course, it´s even easier to modify sth.

:nabble_anim_working: Tobias

moin moin to you,

1. screwing twin beam

1. linkage body

2. linkage lever

5. screwing Twin Beam

7. spherical head rod

1. Twin-Beam rhd

2. assy closing plate

3. assy radius-arm

4. assy linkage body

5. bracket coil spring

6. bracket damper

1. Twin-Beam lhd

3. assy radius-arm

4. assy linkage body

5. bracket coil spring

6. bracket damper

1. nut for rim

2. rim

3. carrier for the rim

4. spring lock washer

7. center axis

8. center cardan joint

11. joint axis

Hello to you,

as I promised yesterday, I took a lot of pictures today. Not to blow up your server, I will post a few of them :nabble_smiley_cool:

But first I will lost some words about the coating and a little bit statistics - Uuaaah :nabble_smiley_argh:

the coating - the color choice

Bild2.jpg.d8a1d6e3f768ab9f05483fd830b3f343.jpg

For a long time I was unsure with the exterior paintwork and the interior color. First I was sure that it should be an original finish in the "Deluxe Two-Tone" variant. The main paint should be either red or blue and the wide center stripe should be white. This would result for the interior: carpet, bench seat and dashboard in red or blue. But I didn't really like that.

It was an happy accident that let me find the right color. To have a look to the finish- where still needs to be sanded, where needs to be filled – the body necessarily needs a coating or at least a painting. The blue, I used for the hood won´t fit to the Ford and because the hood should be matt black (independent of the body color)was that the color of my choice.

It was an amazing effect: the color and body communicate with each other! So it should be. I decided for a 2 component coating system (basic and clear coating) from BMW – yes – It´s name is “Nachtschwarz” (night black) and it has a high proportion of anthracite. Because of this the color is not so dead (do you use this in English too?)

So the interior could designed free from the origin. If the outer coating is refreshed then it´s nearby that the interior is also reworked.

The dashboard have stay in the origin color of course, but delivery ex works in anthracite was possible.

So the bench was covered in sand-colored leather.

Statistics

It´s named statistics, but it´s meant some data to project.

Bild1.jpg.2ba434eeb8cf684d39435c794e8ea166.jpg

The numer of parts according to my partlist. The current total amount of parts is 2581.

Catia is my engineering software, the "product" are the parents from the 3D part with is the parent from the drawing.

The Geomagic software is needed for the 3D scan and for the reverse engineering. Iges ist used as a neutral transfer format. STL is used for the 3D printer.

For example assy group 4, the window lifter, the parts list and the drawing

Bild3.jpg.38998de3f456c7f9e9224f1d84999974.jpg

Bild4.jpg.d26cb951afa36dcc786e6c2b1b8b53cd.jpg

so, enought of this :nabble_smiley_cry:

next, I will post the pics from today without any comments. There are 3 steps:

1. the body

2. the chassis frame

3. combined

ZSB_body_01.jpg.1a5de34f721be21b21fce9b6eb93384e.jpg

ZSB_body_04.jpg.5febc11ae6fcf351253c98737ad94b68.jpg

ZSB_body_05.jpg.2f7d9b119a53037ba3ba21ea0900c5af.jpg

ZSB_body_06.jpg.2544c68070b64c4fb47c19ab39319b4c.jpg

ZSB_body_07.jpg.f186346ede2901677de804a1cfb1c531.jpg

ZSB_body_08.jpg.8103e9a62aeefed921806c0dc762c839.jpg

ZSB_body_09.jpg.b22b3499ff9172bde53716526e63bbcf.jpg

ZSB_body_10.jpg.ec8308fad49db64fb4c6ac475e38902d.jpg

ZSB_body_11.jpg.6698610d31d9eea20f2b8212efe002b0.jpg

ZSB_body_12.jpg.71a5aca19097582c60792073edf44578.jpg

ZSB_body_13.jpg.4cbff53af19c3fe729d43e7fd07ea6a5.jpg

ZSB_body_14.jpg.efdef12f072e2a4ea044597267c478a0.jpg

ZSB_body_15.jpg.9bb29e5b161c25c797f4cded13c368c2.jpg

ZSB_body_17.jpg.3a85d221c8f1b5535e1c3b999e17e9d2.jpg

ZSB_body_18.jpg.c5dc18732abeee6ad2b288e908722e46.jpg

ZSB_Fahrwerk_komplett_02.jpg.03e0a5a8f25557a043f5bc4b668acf22.jpg

ZSB_Fahrwerk_komplett_03.jpg.650ba4f5e142c3cd7b01693165fcb69b.jpg

ZSB_Fahrwerk_komplett_05.jpg.d3596641a90dca7bd17758acfc0248cf.jpg

ZSB_Fahrwerk_komplett_06.jpg.908392830d537fc422b0a82ff9ae3c8b.jpg

ZSB_Fahrwerk_komplett_08.jpg.7a94eaffdebafe9d68963d4f43d493a2.jpg

ZSB_komplett_01.jpg.5a03d64c9f1ca35e6f62a55515976bcc.jpg

ZSB_komplett_02.jpg.2c34b8b7cee760f92571476204f92d31.jpg

ZSB_komplett_05.jpg.221d2a3acb2a4119bcb9c2cde9e42e58.jpg

ZSB_komplett_06.jpg.4afefe4d0bc800b261bc6ba8701dc4f8.jpg

ZSB_komplett_07.jpg.651ba124bdc169c847b4469ef73e4aac.jpg

ZSB_komplett_08.jpg.3343cddda7b7c7e75f363635eedff647.jpg

ZSB_komplett_09.jpg.d11e3dd45856fc53c6c363e9acb8ede3.jpg

Hello to you,

as I promised yesterday, I took a lot of pictures today. Not to blow up your server, I will post a few of them :nabble_smiley_cool:

But first I will lost some words about the coating and a little bit statistics - Uuaaah :nabble_smiley_argh:

the coating - the color choice

For a long time I was unsure with the exterior paintwork and the interior color. First I was sure that it should be an original finish in the "Deluxe Two-Tone" variant. The main paint should be either red or blue and the wide center stripe should be white. This would result for the interior: carpet, bench seat and dashboard in red or blue. But I didn't really like that.

It was an happy accident that let me find the right color. To have a look to the finish- where still needs to be sanded, where needs to be filled – the body necessarily needs a coating or at least a painting. The blue, I used for the hood won´t fit to the Ford and because the hood should be matt black (independent of the body color)was that the color of my choice.

It was an amazing effect: the color and body communicate with each other! So it should be. I decided for a 2 component coating system (basic and clear coating) from BMW – yes – It´s name is “Nachtschwarz” (night black) and it has a high proportion of anthracite. Because of this the color is not so dead (do you use this in English too?)

So the interior could designed free from the origin. If the outer coating is refreshed then it´s nearby that the interior is also reworked.

The dashboard have stay in the origin color of course, but delivery ex works in anthracite was possible.

So the bench was covered in sand-colored leather.

Statistics

It´s named statistics, but it´s meant some data to project.

The numer of parts according to my partlist. The current total amount of parts is 2581.

Catia is my engineering software, the "product" are the parents from the 3D part with is the parent from the drawing.

The Geomagic software is needed for the 3D scan and for the reverse engineering. Iges ist used as a neutral transfer format. STL is used for the 3D printer.

For example assy group 4, the window lifter, the parts list and the drawing

so, enought of this :nabble_smiley_cry:

next, I will post the pics from today without any comments. There are 3 steps:

1. the body

2. the chassis frame

3. combined

Amazing! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the color, we would say "flat" instead of "dead". Flat black would have essentially no sheen and gloss black would have max sheen.

The total of 2581 parts seems almost as many as a full-sized truck would have! And 52 CAD drawings is a whole bunch.

Are you done with the model? How long has it taken you?

Amazing! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the color, we would say "flat" instead of "dead". Flat black would have essentially no sheen and gloss black would have max sheen.

The total of 2581 parts seems almost as many as a full-sized truck would have! And 52 CAD drawings is a whole bunch.

Are you done with the model? How long has it taken you?

Hi Gary,

How it took in hours is an good question. The last 3 years I work about 5 hours each day, 7 days a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. That´s round about 1825 hours. The 5 years before (when I was in job) it is not so easy. On sundays 5 hours like above, ok. But not during week and on saturdays mosly in fall and winter.

So if I say

sundays: 52 weeks x 5 years x 5 hours = 1300 hours

and the saturdays: 26 weeks x 5 years x 5 hours = 650 hours

total: 3775 hours for build up the model (less or more)

To that you have add the hours for CAD engineering, for searching in the www and documenting. Because at the end I create a litte book to the model (like I always do) with it´s emergence.

If I´m done with the model? No, I think that should take a while. There are a lot of points that do not fit.

The joint from fender to hood is not parallel, the rhd door could open a bit more, the substructure of the bench ist not like origin and the coating must wait til spring til the weather is optimal for coating under the carport. Little bit warm and dry.:nabble_smiley_beam:

greetings, :nabble_anim_working:Tobias