Bullnose Forums

Upholstery?

Cbarnes

I did a search for upholstery, didn’t find anything real recent. I have found a set of Captains chairs and console at a local wrecking yard. Was hoping to find factory upholstery to recover them. Does anyone have any new leads on factory upholstery?

Thanks,

Carl

Are you going to do the work or you looking for factory cloth to have a shop recover them?

I would say if a shop have them get something close unless this is a show truck and has to be 100% factory then you will need to look at SMS for the cloth and have a shop sow it up.

As for a kit you can do part of a problem what I find is what different placed call a "cover kit"

Is it a blanket "cover" or a factory replacement of the bottom & back of the bench seat they call "cover kit"?

I would love to get a factory or close to it kit to redo the bench seat in my truck and what I am finding there is nothing like it so may just get something close and give it a shot of doing it myself?

Dave ----

Are you going to do the work or you looking for factory cloth to have a shop recover them?

I would say if a shop have them get something close unless this is a show truck and has to be 100% factory then you will need to look at SMS for the cloth and have a shop sow it up.

As for a kit you can do part of a problem what I find is what different placed call a "cover kit"

Is it a blanket "cover" or a factory replacement of the bottom & back of the bench seat they call "cover kit"?

I would love to get a factory or close to it kit to redo the bench seat in my truck and what I am finding there is nothing like it so may just get something close and give it a shot of doing it myself?

Dave ----

I don't know if LMC still has it, but they had a listing I saw few years back that were upholstery kits that come with the top and bottom already made all you do is simply install the burlap to the springs, put the batting or foam down and slip the upholstery covers down over then hog ring the bottom close to the frame.

I personally won't be doing this because I know vinyl doesn't handle daily use very well and I personally want a local upholstery shop to make me the covers out of leather. Only thing is I don't know if it would be possible for the upholstery shop to duplicate the OE pattern. I seem to recall the inserts on my old seat were a basket weave type pattern in vinyl.

Dave ----

I don't know if LMC still has it, but they had a listing I saw few years back that were upholstery kits that come with the top and bottom already made all you do is simply install the burlap to the springs, put the batting or foam down and slip the upholstery covers down over then hog ring the bottom close to the frame.

I personally won't be doing this because I know vinyl doesn't handle daily use very well and I personally want a local upholstery shop to make me the covers out of leather. Only thing is I don't know if it would be possible for the upholstery shop to duplicate the OE pattern. I seem to recall the inserts on my old seat were a basket weave type pattern in vinyl.

Definitely not a show truck, but would like to keep it some what original looking. I can have a local upholstery shop install cat skins leather. Haven’t checked with them yet, they may have access to the factory looking fabric. Was just hoping someone was making the pre sewn covers that you could put on at home.

Hi Carl,

Is your truck with a bench seat?

If so, I bought mine from LMC and I’m very satisfied. I decided to keep the original vinyl under and "wrap" it with the new upholstery. Did a very nice job, original style look.

I think they sale couple of styles, this is the one I bought (49-5735).

91B1ADE3-E0F9-4C06-A4AC-95A703BEB770.jpeg.015c2b7f202e70202e76fc3fafd0c285.jpeg

Hope this can help you!

CF023806-EDFE-413D-98CD-2653AA58881C.jpeg.321a42c71132ab6c0098fc2dda864068.jpeg

A4C74AEA-CA02-4408-91B0-0BF3FADCEEA6.jpeg.335b092f594b1f182d8e6403fc8b4717.jpeg

Hi Carl,

Is your truck with a bench seat?

If so, I bought mine from LMC and I’m very satisfied. I decided to keep the original vinyl under and "wrap" it with the new upholstery. Did a very nice job, original style look.

I think they sale couple of styles, this is the one I bought (49-5735).

Hope this can help you!

My truck currently has a split back bench. But I am wanting to put the Captains chairs and console in it.

My truck currently has a split back bench. But I am wanting to put the Captains chairs and console in it.

Carl, what have you found at your local wrecking yard?

I know that Bronco's were available with bucket seats and a console but I don't recall any regular cab pickups did.

When I think "Captain's chairs" I think of a van with seats that swivel and have arm rests both sides.

Knowing exactly what vehicle these seats are from might help find someone with correct patterns.

I do believe that Dave is right. Only SMS has the proper fabric.

Gary has (unfortunately) been down the upholstery road a couple of times... and it's well documented! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Even if he doesn't have a source for a kit he does have the information about which seat bases/trays fit which floor pans, etc.

Carl, what have you found at your local wrecking yard?

I know that Bronco's were available with bucket seats and a console but I don't recall any regular cab pickups did.

When I think "Captain's chairs" I think of a van with seats that swivel and have arm rests both sides.

Knowing exactly what vehicle these seats are from might help find someone with correct patterns.

I do believe that Dave is right. Only SMS has the proper fabric.

Gary has (unfortunately) been down the upholstery road a couple of times... and it's well documented! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Even if he doesn't have a source for a kit he does have the information about which seat bases/trays fit which floor pans, etc.

Oh, man, you had to remind me of that. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Yes, I've been down that road and had a horrible experience followed by a good one. So I was going to go down the road again recently with bucket seats that Chad/Little Beefy gave me but the deal fell through because the upholsterer guy wouldn't even return my calls. So finding a good upholsterer is getting very difficult.

But mounting the buckets or captain's chairs is another story, although it depends on what your truck is, and your signature doesn't say. The regular cab and the front of the crew cab trucks shared the same floor pan, and Broncos and Supercabs shared a floor pan. But only the Broncos and Supercabs got the buckets and captains chairs, so they don't fit easily in regular cabs or crewcabs.

In the 90's Ford made a seat base that will bolt into the regular and crewcab trucks and you can bolt the buckets or captain's chairs to that. However, they are sought after and are running around $400 at present. So I'm thinking of making one out of angle iron and the "feet" from a bench seat.

Oh, man, you had to remind me of that. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Yes, I've been down that road and had a horrible experience followed by a good one. So I was going to go down the road again recently with bucket seats that Chad/Little Beefy gave me but the deal fell through because the upholsterer guy wouldn't even return my calls. So finding a good upholsterer is getting very difficult.

But mounting the buckets or captain's chairs is another story, although it depends on what your truck is, and your signature doesn't say. The regular cab and the front of the crew cab trucks shared the same floor pan, and Broncos and Supercabs shared a floor pan. But only the Broncos and Supercabs got the buckets and captains chairs, so they don't fit easily in regular cabs or crewcabs.

In the 90's Ford made a seat base that will bolt into the regular and crewcab trucks and you can bolt the buckets or captain's chairs to that. However, they are sought after and are running around $400 at present. So I'm thinking of making one out of angle iron and the "feet" from a bench seat.

I found a several different sets of seats at the wrecking yard. A couple of them are from Broncos, one set is from a F150 supercab. The ones from the supercab are actually the right color. My truck is a supercab with the split back bench seat. I will get that added to my signature Gary.

I found a several different sets of seats at the wrecking yard. A couple of them are from Broncos, one set is from a F150 supercab. The ones from the supercab are actually the right color. My truck is a supercab with the split back bench seat. I will get that added to my signature Gary.

88AD046A-AC77-46C6-A1F3-FCBD4FC96D42.jpeg.37b02bc071af6014154713a6f1a98f57.jpeg

075779CC-E169-40C0-A16B-829CB268AA88.thumb.jpeg.4e2e9fe199769148df3f3d319704c1f4.jpeg

Couple of pics.