Bullnose Forums

'81 flareside 4x4 project

nmchuck

Thanks for the comments, I’m pretty pleased with the results too.

On a different topic, can you steer me in the right direction on the cab corner filler pieces for a flare side? I am guessing there are pieces that fill this gap on flare sides https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n129339/75CA862F-BA66-4659-9344-F7A77A73CE0B.jpeg

I have tried to find good photos or diagrams but have not been succesful so far.

Chuck,

The Flaresides had little flat filler panels that were riveted in place. They fit into the depressed edges of the cab corners, and they had very slight crease down in the inside that matched the cab. Here's a picture of mine below...these are new pieces I had made up when I had my truck painted. They were riveted in place, but the shop also put seam sealer between them and the cab.

So the cabs were the same but had the filler panels? I wonder if I can find them in the MPC?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments, I’m pretty pleased with the results too.

On a different topic, can you steer me in the right direction on the cab corner filler pieces for a flare side? I am guessing there are pieces that fill this gap on flare sides https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n129339/75CA862F-BA66-4659-9344-F7A77A73CE0B.jpeg

I have tried to find good photos or diagrams but have not been succesful so far.

Chuck,

The Flaresides had little flat filler panels that were riveted in place. They fit into the depressed edges of the cab corners, and they had very slight crease down in the inside that matched the cab. Here's a picture of mine below...these are new pieces I had made up when I had my truck painted. They were riveted in place, but the shop also put seam sealer between them and the cab.

Here's a couple other pictures I zoomed in on in case they are any help. I for some reason I didn't take many pictures of these filler panels.

corner.jpg.781e8cd5d90125af93c71e45a776de6a.jpg

corner2.jpg.db38ec9593eadc229c71d45ad1725dfb.jpg

When Ford re-released the Flareside in 1992, they used black plastic filler panels on the Flareside trucks, for all paint colors.

1992-ford-f-150-xlt-flare-side.jpeg.97c34d1c4295e53bdcdda4bd5dde8107.jpeg

So the cabs were the same but had the filler panels? I wonder if I can find them in the MPC?

Gary yes, cabs were the same, they just added the little filler panels on the Flareside trucks to cover the big opening.

Not sure if they were ever available as a separate part since they were riveted in place and painted with the cab, but they should have been.

Your wish is my command Gary. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Located in the Body Section 260 / Page 6 of the Final MPC.

Body Filler Panel / Rear Lower Corner.

1980/1987: E0TZ-10277A48-A RH : Green Sales has 1 NOS.

1980/1987: E0TZ-10277A49-A LH : NOS Parts Waxahachie TX has 1 NOS.

Body Filler Seal / Rear Lower Corner:

1980/87: E0TZ-10277A50-A RH:

1980/87: E0TZ-10277A51-A LH:

No one has either of the seals NOS.

Wow you all are motivated! Thanks so much, looks like I’ll be doing some looking online tonight. I also may take the same option Rembrandt did and make my own, although I don’t think I can get the same quality level!!

Thanks again, this website is full of great folks!

Your wish is my command Gary. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Located in the Body Section 260 / Page 6 of the Final MPC.

Body Filler Panel / Rear Lower Corner.

1980/1987: E0TZ-10277A48-A RH : Green Sales has 1 NOS.

1980/1987: E0TZ-10277A49-A LH : NOS Parts Waxahachie TX has 1 NOS.

Body Filler Seal / Rear Lower Corner:

1980/87: E0TZ-10277A50-A RH:

1980/87: E0TZ-10277A51-A LH:

No one has either of the seals NOS.

Well done, Ralph! I've been going through the illustrations and didn't find it, but with your info I did:

Flareside_Filler_Panel.thumb.jpg.a5466f726bc4779d70b4cf87e4ac18c1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well done, Ralph! I've been going through the illustrations and didn't find it, but with your info I did:

Ok everyone, could use some collective thinking on my TTB front axle.

I went to get the front end aligned and was told the frame was cracked and flexing. Welded it up an added a little reinforcement by the steering box. Went back to the alignment shop and he said he couldn't figure it out. the camber is really out on the passenger side, the top of the tire is leaning out. The passenger side is not too bad, close to correct. It seems the spring is pushing the axle too far down on the passenger side, but is about correct on the driver's side.

The alignment shop told me I had the largest adjusting cams available on the truck, and there was no more adjustment available. This truck has a four-inch lift that was installed before I bought it. I have always thought this truck is taller than what a four inch lift would provide. I am wondering if maybe my springs are a six inch lift, but the axle ends are placed in the four inch position for the axle ends. I do have new bushings for the pivot points, although I don't think they are too worn.

I may pull the springs to measure, but really don't know the length they should be. Any ideas or experience anyone may have would be welcome. I'll try to take some photos and post them tomorrow.

I went to get the front end aligned and was told the frame was cracked and flexing. Welded it up an added a little reinforcement by the steering box. Went back to the alignment shop and he said he couldn't figure it out. the camber is really out on the passenger side, the top of the tire is leaning out. The passenger side is not too bad, close to correct. It seems the spring is pushing the axle too far down on the passenger side, but is about correct on the driver's side.

The alignment shop told me I had the largest adjusting cams available on the truck, and there was no more adjustment available. This truck has a four-inch lift that was installed before I bought it. I have always thought this truck is taller than what a four inch lift would provide. I am wondering if maybe my springs are a six inch lift, but the axle ends are placed in the four inch position for the axle ends. I do have new bushings for the pivot points, although I don't think they are too worn.

I may pull the springs to measure, but really don't know the length they should be. Any ideas or experience anyone may have would be welcome. I'll try to take some photos and post them tomorrow.

5E2DBA11-1843-4E1D-A4C0-4D2FD67EC1DA.jpeg.3643c6da62ab9f39fcd596c5dc27ef71.jpeg48919F5A-0831-49B1-83CE-29A158B15A71.jpeg.20f90b2e13f133344a859d0e063d0dc1.jpeg602C20B1-2524-453B-BE27-239B51AA2315.jpeg.5f18e428401619dc41490d9ca9c2b663.jpeg849B572F-6135-4DB8-8044-1B70401E60C6.jpeg.4853af40ddaf33993c7aa48fdf0da5ce.jpegA2CDDCDE-0AA1-485F-8B8E-520E5C8AAACD.jpeg.3d67ba159eb92ec80e7e33c8cfe71dff.jpeg

well at first glance the pivots are in the correct point for 4". you have the correct 4" lift springs. being that you have the anti-sway bar then you should have the correct spring seats yet there were some which had a flat sway bar bracket that mounted between the seat and the traction beam. if so then it is possible to have the incorrect spring seat which will do exactly this. just something to check.

well at first glance the pivots are in the correct point for 4". you have the correct 4" lift springs. being that you have the anti-sway bar then you should have the correct spring seats yet there were some which had a flat sway bar bracket that mounted between the seat and the traction beam. if so then it is possible to have the incorrect spring seat which will do exactly this. just something to check.

Drop down pivot & radius brackets should get it to a point it could be adjusted I would think.

Dave ----