Bullnose Forums

'81 flareside 4x4 project

nmchuck

Jeff, that really looks good in the pics, sorry to hear it was such a hassle to get it there. I look forward to your thread on the topic, all of us in the cracked dash club can learn from your experience!

I went with a cover from someone that did not use it. I think it looks good and am happy with it.

20191023_155334.jpg.dd0fedc7bffe9d0838ed411ea380adb0.jpg

Unless you look for it you would never know it is a cover.

Dave ----

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with a cover from someone that did not use it. I think it looks good and am happy with it.

Unless you look for it you would never know it is a cover.

Dave ----

That really does look good Dave, was your dash pretty bad? I ask because I'm not sure if the cover will stay glued with a really bad pad.

I also have been trying to figure out why my tach doesn't work most of the time. It worked after a big rain for some reason but has stopped again. The fuse for gauge illumination (18 I think) has no power to it currently. Can't locate the wiring diagrams but it seems odd that everything in the fuse block has power except this circuit. Any ideas?

That really does look good Dave, was your dash pretty bad? I ask because I'm not sure if the cover will stay glued with a really bad pad.

I also have been trying to figure out why my tach doesn't work most of the time. It worked after a big rain for some reason but has stopped again. The fuse for gauge illumination (18 I think) has no power to it currently. Can't locate the wiring diagrams but it seems odd that everything in the fuse block has power except this circuit. Any ideas?

You can find the 1981 EVTM here:. https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1981-evtm.html

This has all the diagnostics specific to your year (and yes, '80-'81 were different than later trucks)

Tach signal should be a dark green/yellow dashed wire from the coil.

"worked a bit after a rain" . that seems to be a clue. certainly prove voltage but also check the grounds. there is a ground connection on the cluster itself where the gauge meets the film on the back. hopefully you will find it before getting that deep but i just point out that there are many connections and each can be the issue.

I think I used this one from my parts truck as I tried to use the one that came with my truck and I pulled some of the pad apart thinking the cover would fit better ........ it did not :nabble_smiley_sad:

20151220_131748.jpg.9aa95b130f4af56d545c4ca0a23e810e.jpg

I would say if where the cracks are are raised up to trim them or sand them flat so the cover will sit flat to the old pad.

Also wash the pad a few times and let it dry good before gluing the cover on.

BTW I had to graph part of my trucks non-AC dash on to this AC dash as it the PO cut / broke it to get the radio / HVAC controls out. Look at the bottom in the center.

20151220_131719.jpg.7b916dff27d77a9517cbd15e5d2b14b1.jpg

Dave ----

You can find the 1981 EVTM here:. https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1981-evtm.html

This has all the diagnostics specific to your year (and yes, '80-'81 were different than later trucks)

Jim I think only the 80 is different as most of my 81 looks to be the same as others when I have looked.

What is different has been where some of the grounds are and I think that was mostly for the tail lights.

Think the EVM has the ground for tail lights coming from inside the cab on the fire wall where my 81's were at the lights and did not have a ground wire in the harness.

I wonder if you have a bad connection under the hood and it got wet and started working?

I think there is the tach wire by the IGN box that sometimes needs to be plugged in.

What if you were to pull it apart, clean it and stick it back together and fingers crossed it works.

Dave ----

Jim I think only the 80 is different as most of my 81 looks to be the same as others when I have looked.

What is different has been where some of the grounds are and I think that was mostly for the tail lights.

Think the EVM has the ground for tail lights coming from inside the cab on the fire wall where my 81's were at the lights and did not have a ground wire in the harness.

I wonder if you have a bad connection under the hood and it got wet and started working?

I think there is the tach wire by the IGN box that sometimes needs to be plugged in.

What if you were to pull it apart, clean it and stick it back together and fingers crossed it works.

Dave ----

He's asking about the tach.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the cluster flex circuit was different in '80 and '81 model year trucks.

He's asking about the tach.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the cluster flex circuit was different in '80 and '81 model year trucks.

I am pretty sure the 80 uses a different plug wiring to the cluster than the others and were the colors do not match.

Also want to say the wire count is different but not 100% sure as it could be between gauges and lights for the clusters?

I also say the 80 is different because when I installed the tach & printed backing into my non-tach truck it was from a later year truck and it was a bolt in.

I did not have to go switching or plugging in wires either, worked out of the box as they say.

Could check LMC on the printed boards and see what years they list it for.

I still think the 80 is the 1 year only for the wiring of the dash cluster.

Dave ----