Bullnose Forums

Crossmember transmission support bushings

I finally got some pictures. I found more holes in the floorboard than we were aware of. :nabble_smiley_hurt: On a brighter side, I think I found the bushings for sale. I'll post that info higher up the thread.

The first two are just the basic setup under the truck and the skid plate below the transfer case and transmission junction. In the first image, you can see how the two bushings don't look aligned vertically.

These are close-up images of the bracket and the bushings. The first one is from the transfer case side of the junction. Someone has put grease in the space where the upper bushings go. The upper bushings are basically gone. There are some pieces still sandwiched in there but they're no longer a solid piece. One lower bushing is intact but they other is splitting apart. Both spin freely. Oh, and the part numbers on one of the lower don't exactly match up with what the book says or at least I don't think they do. I may clean it more later to see if I can read more of the number.

The rest of these are pictures of the junction. So is this considered a divorced transfer case? I think the answer is no but I have no idea.

"Divorced" means the transfer case is entirely separated from the transmission.

Yours it "married" by that sleeve/collar/ union.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got some pictures. I found more holes in the floorboard than we were aware of. :nabble_smiley_hurt: On a brighter side, I think I found the bushings for sale. I'll post that info higher up the thread.

The first two are just the basic setup under the truck and the skid plate below the transfer case and transmission junction. In the first image, you can see how the two bushings don't look aligned vertically.

These are close-up images of the bracket and the bushings. The first one is from the transfer case side of the junction. Someone has put grease in the space where the upper bushings go. The upper bushings are basically gone. There are some pieces still sandwiched in there but they're no longer a solid piece. One lower bushing is intact but they other is splitting apart. Both spin freely. Oh, and the part numbers on one of the lower don't exactly match up with what the book says or at least I don't think they do. I may clean it more later to see if I can read more of the number.

The rest of these are pictures of the junction. So is this considered a divorced transfer case? I think the answer is no but I have no idea.

"Oh, and the part numbers on one of the lower don't exactly match up with what the book says or at least I don't think they do. I may clean it more later to see if I can read more of the number."

Any number on a part is not a part number. See our page here: Documentation/How To Decode Ford Part Numbers.

But the short version is that #'s on parts are ID or engineering #'s and you have to use a cross reference to get from those to part numbers, which are what is listed in the master parts catalog.

I know it doesn't make sense, but that was not one of Ford's "Better Ideas".

The upper and lower insulators/bushing/mounts may be hard to find. But you may be able to find other bushings that will work. I'd look at the cab bushings and radiator support bushings to see if they are about the same size.

"Oh, and the part numbers on one of the lower don't exactly match up with what the book says or at least I don't think they do. I may clean it more later to see if I can read more of the number."

Any number on a part is not a part number. See our page here: Documentation/How To Decode Ford Part Numbers.

But the short version is that #'s on parts are ID or engineering #'s and you have to use a cross reference to get from those to part numbers, which are what is listed in the master parts catalog.

I know it doesn't make sense, but that was not one of Ford's "Better Ideas".

The upper and lower insulators/bushing/mounts may be hard to find. But you may be able to find other bushings that will work. I'd look at the cab bushings and radiator support bushings to see if they are about the same size.

Will seems to have found them at JBG!?!?!

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/Transmission_Transfer-Case-Mounts-Round-Mounts-80-86/productinfo/31606B/

I missed that. But good!

Except that while their advert agrees with the part number listing from the Text section of the MPC, which shows those fitting all 4WD’s through 86. But it doesn’t match the Illustration section which shows that in 85 it changed to the style you and I have.

I missed that. But good!

Except that while their advert agrees with the part number listing from the Text section of the MPC, which shows those fitting all 4WD’s through 86. But it doesn’t match the Illustration section which shows that in 85 it changed to the style you and I have.

I suppose Will will find out for the rest of you, soon enough!?!?

I suppose Will will find out for the rest of you, soon enough!?!?

That's the plan. They've shipped. We will see how they look when they get here. They at least look promising.

That's the plan. They've shipped. We will see how they look when they get here. They at least look promising.

Those bushings look like they should work just fine. I had a devil of a time getting mine apart appears the bottom steel insert once installed is flared where the top insert has a step in it to lock the 2 pieces together.4x4_cross_member_to_transfercase_bushing.thumb.jpg.65113e29dda78f3758ca44713f99ffff.jpg

Those bushings look like they should work just fine. I had a devil of a time getting mine apart appears the bottom steel insert once installed is flared where the top insert has a step in it to lock the 2 pieces together.

Good pics, Paul. 👍

Those bushings look like they should work just fine. I had a devil of a time getting mine apart appears the bottom steel insert once installed is flared where the top insert has a step in it to lock the 2 pieces together.

Thank you so much Paul! This image provides a huge amount of detail that I've been missing.

It appears that they interlock similar to the way the body mounts interlock.

Really useful pictures Paul!

:nabble_anim_claps: