Bullnose Forums

Dragging/Binding Starter

I've never seen a PMGR where the male spade wasn't just nutted down on the trigger stud.

Did they come from Ford where it wasn't removable?

Don't know. But I have read of the spades corroding and ripping in half when people try to remove them. By using a ring there's one less connection to fail if the spade tab is nutted.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know. But I have read of the spades corroding and ripping in half when people try to remove them. By using a ring there's one less connection to fail if the spade tab is nutted.

A lot of starters stop working because that connector gets so corroded.

But the stud/nut isn't covered in a plastic housing. I think it gets a chance to dry out, so stay submerged in salty water.

That connector was the subject of a "no crank" TSB back in the '90's.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, you are probably right.

But hey, this is a good chance to replace it with a better PMGR starter. Would I just get one from a 1992 Ford F150 with a 5.0 and AOD transmission?

I just finished upgrading Lucille to the later model Ford PMGR starter (part number E9SZ-11002-BRM/SA769ARM) . I like the fact that the PMGR starter is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the original starter. It was easier to handle, and there is more airflow between the new starter and my headers. I also picked up this OEM Ford starter shield (part number F4TZ-11006-A) to further protect it from the heat:

Shield-1.jpg.71afb03631a6942758ec36bf2d0269d3.jpg

So what's not to like? The sound of it. Although it cranks the engine much faster, it sounds *weird* to me. Like a jet engine starting up or something. I think I prefer the sound of the older starter better. Maybe I will get used to it.

I just finished upgrading Lucille to the later model Ford PMGR starter (part number E9SZ-11002-BRM/SA769ARM) . I like the fact that the PMGR starter is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the original starter. It was easier to handle, and there is more airflow between the new starter and my headers. I also picked up this OEM Ford starter shield (part number F4TZ-11006-A) to further protect it from the heat:

So what's not to like? The sound of it. Although it cranks the engine much faster, it sounds *weird* to me. Like a jet engine starting up or something. I think I prefer the sound of the older starter better. Maybe I will get used to it.

Great! Good job!

It’s funny, I never thought much of the sound. My F250 has the old style, my Bronco has the PMGR.

I’m sure now I’ll hear it!

I didn't realize there was a factory shield. Good idea to go with it.

As for the sound, I had a MOPAR in my early days and got used to their weird starter sounds, so the PMGR sound doesn't bother me. I'll trade it for the faster cranking any day.

Regarding the sound, I've brought that up a few times since changing over to the new PMGR starter. For me, it's not a matter of disliking the sound, rather it's more in the way of change. I've owned this truck since new and I know exactly how things should sound. Got a similar experience when I upgraded to the Saginaw power steering pump too. No more growl. Weird.

Regarding the sound, I've brought that up a few times since changing over to the new PMGR starter. For me, it's not a matter of disliking the sound, rather it's more in the way of change. I've owned this truck since new and I know exactly how things should sound. Got a similar experience when I upgraded to the Saginaw power steering pump too. No more growl. Weird.

Mopar's always sounded like a whine or a cry to me. I had a few slant sixes in my younger days

Yep. First thing that came out my mouth when I made the swap was "sounds like my Ranger" (which has a stock PMGR). But you get used to it.

For me, it's not a matter of disliking the sound, rather it's more in the way of change. I've owned this truck since new and I know exactly how things should sound.

That's fair. And those are my thoughts exactly.

Lucille has been in my family since 1993, and I have been listening to the sound of the stock starter for almost 30 years(!) That sound is familiar to me, and familiarity always been the charm of this old Ford. Before, it sounded like an old Ford starting up. Now, it sounds like a UPS truck starting up. It would really sound out of place in a car.

I will give it some time. Perhaps I will get used to the new sound. After all, there are many more benefits to the PMGR starter.

Besides, I would rather hear the rapid machine-whine of the PMGR starter than the depressing sound of my stock starter dragging when the engine is heat soaked.