Bullnose Forums

Hello All - 1986 F150, 2wd, base trim, 300 engine, 4 speed

shosh86

Hi folks, here's my introduction, very glad to be here.

I picked up a 1986 F150, 2wd, base trim, 300 engine, 4 speed a couple months ago. I'm the third owner, and the previous owner had it since 1990. It's got some body panel rust but the interior is in pretty good condition. I'm new to auto mechanics but am slowly getting my feet wet. So far I've swapped in a new power steering belt, replaced my leaking heater core, replaced window rubbers and felts, re-sealed the horizontal cowl seam, and added a new radio head unit, speakers, and speaker wiring. When I did the audio stuff, I also added some jute door insulation.

Projects on the horizon are LED gauge cluster lighting, replace burned out cluster indicator lamps, and add a relay harness for the headlights. Those parts are on the way. Down the road, I also plan to reupholster my bench, add new carpet, and add new headliner. I'll also either repair my dash or get a cover. At some point, I'll have the truck painted and get new tires, different wheels, and a chrome rear bumper. My current rear bumper is gray-painted steel. Finally, I want to fix or upgrade my exhaust. Half of my tailpipe is eaten away by like 10 inches.

Thanks and look forward to posting.

IMG_4116(2).jpg.dc4ec2c00ca8069d4bef9089e397cdf4.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the intro. And, glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.

Sounds like your truck has good bones. And your plans seem sound. I'm anxious to ride along as you upgrade it, so I hope you'll start a thread to tell us what you do as you do it. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for the intro. And, glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.

Sounds like your truck has good bones. And your plans seem sound. I'm anxious to ride along as you upgrade it, so I hope you'll start a thread to tell us what you do as you do it. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, Gary. Home is Atlanta, GA. It does seem to have good bones. I picked it up from a mechanic who I understand handled the maintenance for my seller. It seems to run pretty well, although I do notice random hiccups in the idle. Also, I should have mentioned, the mechanic removed the feedback carb. Not sure what kind of carb is on there now, but it no longer has the computer controlled feedback anymore.

Thanks, Gary. Home is Atlanta, GA. It does seem to have good bones. I picked it up from a mechanic who I understand handled the maintenance for my seller. It seems to run pretty well, although I do notice random hiccups in the idle. Also, I should have mentioned, the mechanic removed the feedback carb. Not sure what kind of carb is on there now, but it no longer has the computer controlled feedback anymore.

not sure about the hiccups but the eec and ignition may not be advancing the timing without a return from the tps on a feedback carb.

not sure about the hiccups but the eec and ignition may not be advancing the timing without a return from the tps on a feedback carb.

Interesting, thanks. How do folks who have gone non-feedback deal with that?

First welcome

I would guess the carb with swapped for a non-feed back one but if the feed back dist. was not swapped for a non feed back then the job was only half done.

Now this is not a bad thing but we need to know if it still running the feed back dist. or not.

Dose the dist. have a vacuum hose going to it from the carb or a bunch of wires only going in the side with a flat plug?

Once we know we can then let you know how to go with the swap.

The truck looks like a good start.

Dave ----

First welcome

I would guess the carb with swapped for a non-feed back one but if the feed back dist. was not swapped for a non feed back then the job was only half done.

Now this is not a bad thing but we need to know if it still running the feed back dist. or not.

Dose the dist. have a vacuum hose going to it from the carb or a bunch of wires only going in the side with a flat plug?

Dave ----

best answer

First welcome

Dave ----

I've got just a bunch of wires going in the side with a flat plug.

I've got just a bunch of wires going in the side with a flat plug.

First, you are now on the map.

Second, as as has been explained, someone only did 1/2 of the conversion. The EEC-III system requires all its inputs or it goes into limp-home mode and locks the ignition timing to the initial timing, and w/o the feedback carb you are there. No advance means poor power and MPG.

The cure is to replace the distributor with a DS-II dizzy and add the DS-II ignition box on the fender liner. But you'll need the proper wiring harness to do that, and it can be hard to find a factory one. However, Painless makes a one-size-fits-nothing harness that can be used.

We can talk you through it, and it really does need to be done.

First, you are now on the map.

Second, as as has been explained, someone only did 1/2 of the conversion. The EEC-III system requires all its inputs or it goes into limp-home mode and locks the ignition timing to the initial timing, and w/o the feedback carb you are there. No advance means poor power and MPG.

The cure is to replace the distributor with a DS-II dizzy and add the DS-II ignition box on the fender liner. But you'll need the proper wiring harness to do that, and it can be hard to find a factory one. However, Painless makes a one-size-fits-nothing harness that can be used.

We can talk you through it, and it really does need to be done.

Gary is right on the feed back undo only being half done.

But on the fix he only gave 1 way it could be done.

The DSII uses all Ford parts and would look factory stock pre-feed back.

The other way is using a HEI dist. that only uses 1 - 12 volt wire to work.

The hard part is finding one that is not junk.

As they say you get what you pay for so check them out before buying.

Dave ----

ps I dont have issues with a HEI on the 300 six motor but having that big thing sit out front on a v8 just is not right. The other thing is because it is big setting timing on v8's can be tricky.