Bullnose Forums

1985F20 SuperCab "REDRUM"

CRittaler

Here are the parts I used:

Thanks Gary!

did you replace the front one as well? I think that filler neck is for the rear, though I am expecting that I will need to replace that one as well.

I'm going to attempt to splice the inner hose and see if that will work well enough. If it doesn't, then at least I know how to drop the tanks to make the repair.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Gary!

did you replace the front one as well? I think that filler neck is for the rear, though I am expecting that I will need to replace that one as well.

I'm going to attempt to splice the inner hose and see if that will work well enough. If it doesn't, then at least I know how to drop the tanks to make the repair.

I replaced both tanks, fuel delivery modules, and one filler neck. Turns out someone had replaced one filler neck with the later style, which does NOT interface well with a Bullnose tank, and that explains why it took sooooo long to fill the tank. So I didn't have to replace it.

I replaced both tanks, fuel delivery modules, and one filler neck. Turns out someone had replaced one filler neck with the later style, which does NOT interface well with a Bullnose tank, and that explains why it took sooooo long to fill the tank. So I didn't have to replace it.

On the early tank set up when I added the rear tank to my 81 flare side the inner hose (plastic) I used copper tubing to join the 2 parts together.

20180512_104127.jpg.e796b2fb863b1c192c53b1a445a506ae.jpg

I dont see why you could not do the same thing.

Take the hose with you to the hardware store and start test fitting till you find something.

Dave ----

On the early tank set up when I added the rear tank to my 81 flare side the inner hose (plastic) I used copper tubing to join the 2 parts together.

I dont see why you could not do the same thing.

Take the hose with you to the hardware store and start test fitting till you find something.

Dave ----

I picked up some 3/4" brass fittings that are 4" long. Going to give it a try as soon as I can get back out to the truck.

I picked up some 3/4" brass fittings that are 4" long. Going to give it a try as soon as I can get back out to the truck.

I ended up using the 4" 3/4" brass coupler to extend the lower portion of the inner hose. I had to heat the hose with my hot air rework station to get it pliable enough to slip over the brass. I used a hose clamp on the end near the filler neck as that end was a bit loose.

I was able to wrestle the filler neck/tube assembly back onto the tank and get it reinstalled on the truck. Not the worst job in the world, but getting the filler neck to feed between the bed and the frame rail was interesting.

I also replaced the hacked up nylon fuel lines with regular fuel hose. I have to slip some larger heater hose over them in a couple spots for abrasion purposes, but all in all I'm happy.

The main downside is that when I put the gas I'd drained (~7 gallons) back into the take it only came up to E. I'm going to make sure the connection is clean. I compared the range of motion of the floats and measured the new one compared to the old one and both appeared the same so I'm not sure what happened.

It's annoying, but not enough to make me want to drop the tank again.

293402910_10166871336600077_1385210113124531192_n.thumb.jpg.ba3c97e52c1ff085ca65080cf11a6f6b.jpg

293676388_10166871336605077_3085730684135404667_n.thumb.jpg.cc6650e7d512fe7eabb04b0686eb55c7.jpg

I ended up using the 4" 3/4" brass coupler to extend the lower portion of the inner hose. I had to heat the hose with my hot air rework station to get it pliable enough to slip over the brass. I used a hose clamp on the end near the filler neck as that end was a bit loose.

I was able to wrestle the filler neck/tube assembly back onto the tank and get it reinstalled on the truck. Not the worst job in the world, but getting the filler neck to feed between the bed and the frame rail was interesting.

I also replaced the hacked up nylon fuel lines with regular fuel hose. I have to slip some larger heater hose over them in a couple spots for abrasion purposes, but all in all I'm happy.

The main downside is that when I put the gas I'd drained (~7 gallons) back into the take it only came up to E. I'm going to make sure the connection is clean. I compared the range of motion of the floats and measured the new one compared to the old one and both appeared the same so I'm not sure what happened.

Two steps forward and one backward is still progress. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Managed to get the rear tank out. I had to use my transmission jack since my floor jack couldn't reach.

PO used the old style fill neck, but I looked at the tank and it doesn't have any kind of clip or tube for either style. They used some genetic fuel hose with a coil embedded in it.

In regards to the tank, is it supposed to have some kind of tube holder for the inner hose like the front tank?

You can see the PO also hacked up the fuel lines and the pump power.

IMG_20220719_213023.jpg.aa3828d9da8056789b970fe32454203f.jpg

IMG_20220719_213011.jpg.77eb7774ac0d01c968a8fc66f06fa6a4.jpg

IMG_20220719_213005.jpg.63d7a83e95196c5c5d962c8f54ccdc93.jpg

I will fix the pictures when I get to my pc in the morning.