Bullnose Forums

1985 F250 Manual Transmission

I think the F250 has a T-19 Borg Warner.

Ok a 3 on the tree is not known as a auto transmission.

3 on the tree is a 3 speed manual, 3 pedals at the floor, gas / brake / clutch.

A auto transmission can be a 3 speed but only has 2 pedals on the floor, gas / brake.

If the motors are a 300 six & a 302 the bell housing from the manual will swap with the auto motor.

Now the flywheel & flex plate WILL NOT SWAP as the weights are different between the motors.

You did not say if long or short beds so cant say on drive shafts.

You will also need to deal with the steering columns as 1 has a shift lever and the other dose not.

Dave ----

Ok a 3 on the tree is not known as a auto transmission.

3 on the tree is a 3 speed manual, 3 pedals at the floor, gas / brake / clutch.

A auto transmission can be a 3 speed but only has 2 pedals on the floor, gas / brake.

If the motors are a 300 six & a 302 the bell housing from the manual will swap with the auto motor.

Now the flywheel & flex plate WILL NOT SWAP as the weights are different between the motors.

You did not say if long or short beds so cant say on drive shafts.

You will also need to deal with the steering columns as 1 has a shift lever and the other dose not.

Dave ----

Thank you. Yes, after further research the 81 F100 with a inline 6 300 has a 303 standard transmission and it’s a short bed. The 85 F250 has a 302 with a T-19 Borg Warner transmission and it’s a long bed. I have procured the required column already.

Yes, I have found the hard way (previous project)the difference on weighted flywheel/flex plate issue.

If the F250 bell housing fits the 300 motor, the T19 transmission ratios are insane!. Should I get another shaft or can I use the shirt bed one? What about the rear axle? It currently has a 2.47.

Thank you. Yes, after further research the 81 F100 with a inline 6 300 has a 303 standard transmission and it’s a short bed. The 85 F250 has a 302 with a T-19 Borg Warner transmission and it’s a long bed. I have procured the required column already.

Yes, I have found the hard way (previous project)the difference on weighted flywheel/flex plate issue.

If the F250 bell housing fits the 300 motor, the T19 transmission ratios are insane!. Should I get another shaft or can I use the shirt bed one? What about the rear axle? It currently has a 2.47.

The 250 would have a T-18 transmission. (no PTO on the driver's side)

T-19's came behind 460's and IDI's only.

The T-18 has a very deep 1st gear that would probably be well suited to your tall 2.47 rear end.

But 1st is not synchronized, so you will have to get good at double clutching and rev matching.