Bullnose Forums

Rembrant's new non-Bullnose project

Rembrant

Yes them pipes look good :nabble_smiley_good:

Did you block the cross over ports in the head / intake?

I think that is where the EGR port gets the gases from so if they are blocked that should also help let that gasket live as it would not have any gases at it.

Dave ----

That's a good question Dave, I'm not sure as it has been a while now, but I don't think I did. I'll have a look through my old pics and see if I can tell.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those gaskets DO like to blow out/burn through.

If you're not running EGR you might look at running a plug in there, or filling it with high temp steel filled epoxy.

The epoxy idea did cross my mind...

I'll have a look at what products are available before I seal it all up for good.

I finally started working on the front end this week, and removed the driver's size spindle. I guess it was a bad sign when I was able to remove the kingpin by hand (after reading numerous reports about how difficult they are to remove). Turns out the kingpin hole in the axle was oversized...likely rusted out or worn sometime many years ago. Even though there's a tapered lock pin to hold the Kingpin in place, I didn't like the fact that it was a sloppy fit which had the potential to throw the kingpin angle off, or to just not be good and tight like it's supposed to be.

Anyway, I posted a wanted add on Facebook for an axle beam, assuming there should be a few around since everybody does front end swaps on these trucks. Boom, in a couple of days I found 4 axle beams within a 100-120 mile radius. I went and picked one up yesterday in the middle of nowhere, and it had been removed from a western truck, so it was in pretty nice condition. It also looked like it had never been touched before either.

I took apart everything I could at home, and then took the whole axle assembly to my work to use the press. Oh man were the kingpins hard coming out lol. Imagine being locked and rusted in place for 73 years?? It was all the little 20 ton press could do....I'd load it up as hard as I could pump it and BANG!...the pin would move an 1/8" lol. After a few more big bangs, it started going easier and finally came out.

IMG_9169.jpg.3f0129c7cbc4e3394924dcbe3fa0f502.jpg

IMG_9168.jpg.07cd90adf6578bd2a4757483e58818e9.jpg

IMG_9171.jpg.45b9d4f0fb439c5ead3665e31e39d908.jpg

After getting everything disassembled and cleaned up (bushings were hard to press out of the spindles too), all of the holes and bores looked really good. The kingpins fit perfect now, with a snug slip fit, and the taper pins are nice and tight also, just like they're supposed to be.

What a job, but it was rewarding after the fact. Disassembling 73 year old parts, and finding all of the fits just like new.

IMG_9172.jpg.86b3f8f82fc2b5888da0582f4c8c2a07.jpg

Back to waiting for RockAuto and LMC deliveries, but I have lots to do in the meantime getting the axle swapped out.

I finally started working on the front end this week, and removed the driver's size spindle. I guess it was a bad sign when I was able to remove the kingpin by hand (after reading numerous reports about how difficult they are to remove). Turns out the kingpin hole in the axle was oversized...likely rusted out or worn sometime many years ago. Even though there's a tapered lock pin to hold the Kingpin in place, I didn't like the fact that it was a sloppy fit which had the potential to throw the kingpin angle off, or to just not be good and tight like it's supposed to be.

Anyway, I posted a wanted add on Facebook for an axle beam, assuming there should be a few around since everybody does front end swaps on these trucks. Boom, in a couple of days I found 4 axle beams within a 100-120 mile radius. I went and picked one up yesterday in the middle of nowhere, and it had been removed from a western truck, so it was in pretty nice condition. It also looked like it had never been touched before either.

I took apart everything I could at home, and then took the whole axle assembly to my work to use the press. Oh man were the kingpins hard coming out lol. Imagine being locked and rusted in place for 73 years?? It was all the little 20 ton press could do....I'd load it up as hard as I could pump it and BANG!...the pin would move an 1/8" lol. After a few more big bangs, it started going easier and finally came out.

After getting everything disassembled and cleaned up (bushings were hard to press out of the spindles too), all of the holes and bores looked really good. The kingpins fit perfect now, with a snug slip fit, and the taper pins are nice and tight also, just like they're supposed to be.

What a job, but it was rewarding after the fact. Disassembling 73 year old parts, and finding all of the fits just like new.

Back to waiting for RockAuto and LMC deliveries, but I have lots to do in the meantime getting the axle swapped out.

I had to use a MAP gas torch and a BMF hammer to drive the pins out on my 81.

I did not have a press and I should have bought one then as it was a sign.

Because of no press I had to farm out the bushing being pressed out & in and reamed to size.

Well the shop I was told by 3 people to use, the only shop, did not press the bushings in enough for the seals to fit.

Then a few months later when I went to put everything together the pins would only go thru the 1 side of the bushings at a time. When they reamed the bushings they did 1 size for the pin to fit then turned it around and reamed the other bushing so the pin would not fit thru both sides :nabble_smiley_angry:

Because it was so long and no way for them to ream them right with out new bushings and I was not going to spend $100 just for bushings I used a wheel cyl hone and had to tap the pins in with a hammer.

Yea I was not a happy camper!

Dave ----

I had to use a MAP gas torch and a BMF hammer to drive the pins out on my 81.

I did not have a press and I should have bought one then as it was a sign.

Because of no press I had to farm out the bushing being pressed out & in and reamed to size.

Well the shop I was told by 3 people to use, the only shop, did not press the bushings in enough for the seals to fit.

Then a few months later when I went to put everything together the pins would only go thru the 1 side of the bushings at a time. When they reamed the bushings they did 1 size for the pin to fit then turned it around and reamed the other bushing so the pin would not fit thru both sides :nabble_smiley_angry:

Because it was so long and no way for them to ream them right with out new bushings and I was not going to spend $100 just for bushings I used a wheel cyl hone and had to tap the pins in with a hammer.

Yea I was not a happy camper!

Dave ----

Ha! Dave, that would be frustrating!

I ordered one of those adjustable reamers on Amazon...it was only like $20 bucks, and if it works once that's enough. I just need to be careful not to go too big lol. I don't want to do this twice. Thankfully the pins fit nicely in the axle beam now, so that part is good.

Ha! Dave, that would be frustrating!

I ordered one of those adjustable reamers on Amazon...it was only like $20 bucks, and if it works once that's enough. I just need to be careful not to go too big lol. I don't want to do this twice. Thankfully the pins fit nicely in the axle beam now, so that part is good.

As long as the reamer has a guide that fits in the other end to ream parallel so what happened to mine will not happen to you.

Dave ----

Cory - Glad you got that "new" axle beam. Getting things together like that is such a thrill!

The press you used looks to be exactly like mine. And I know what you mean about BANG! When that happens the first time it is scary. But once it does that the next few times aren't quite as bad.

I really like the fork lift holding the end of the axle beam up. I have to back my truck out and put something under the end of long pieces like that, and it is hard to find something that is just the right height. Your solution works great. :nabble_smiley_good:

Cory - Glad you got that "new" axle beam. Getting things together like that is such a thrill!

The press you used looks to be exactly like mine. And I know what you mean about BANG! When that happens the first time it is scary. But once it does that the next few times aren't quite as bad.

I really like the fork lift holding the end of the axle beam up. I have to back my truck out and put something under the end of long pieces like that, and it is hard to find something that is just the right height. Your solution works great. :nabble_smiley_good:

I had a very nice portable king pin press I had bought when I did the ones on my 1958 F100. Unfortunately in trying to get all the tools located (a friend was doing that) while two of us were getting things out of the house it didn't get loaded. I do have a nice long adjustable reamer with the guide cones so it will go straight through both ends.

Gary,

That's a 20 ton Princess Auto press I bought about 10 years ago at work. Princess Auto is the Canadian equivalent to Harbor Freight, although they have gotten a lot better in recent years. We have a bigger 50 ton press with an electric pump, but I don't like using it because you can't feel how hard you're pressing. The little manual one gives you some "feel" on what you're working on.

That forklift is a great 3rd hand...adjustable in several directions. I don't know how I would have done the job without it.

I haven't updated the old project thread in a while so I thought I'd post up the current status.

I have finally gotten to where all of the big stuff is done, and I now have a whole bunch of little things to do.

The newer engine, transmission, and rearend are all solidly installed, along with a new custom driveshaft.

I left the old dual exhaust in the truck...well, most of it at least, so I needed new down pipes to connect the new engine to the old pipes. I couldn't get any local shops to make the pipes for me, so I grabbed a bunch of loose fittings and made them myself. Got them all together, and then welded every joint.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n124589/Exhaust.jpg

I have been playing around with the carburetor this week. I had to make some custom covers and gaskets for my new carb to work properly on the old Foxbody intake. It has an elongated hole in it for exhaust, which I assume was to heat the factory carb?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n124589/s-l1600.jpg

I got that all sorted out (I think?). I'm running a 1" spacer under the carb, but it just barely covered that hole so I made a plate out of 16ga aluminum, along with another wider gasket to place under the 1" spacer. I don't have pics, but the elongated hole is now well covered. I hope it works.

Next issue, was the TPS. Because I'm running an electronically controlled 4R70W (or AODE-W) from a 1996 F150, there's no kickdown rod or cable, so I need to install a TPS on the carb. This isn't really a big deal. It should look like the below pic:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n124589/tps-kit.jpg

Problem is, my new 500CFM Summit carb came with a rigid dual inlet fuel line that's in the way.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n124589/IMG_9131.jpg

Anyway, not the end of the world, but I'm going to swap out the rigid line for barbs and rubber hoses so I can lower the line enough to give the TPS the room it needs to move.

Other than that, I'm waiting for FedEx to bring me a RockAuto order. Next up is new kingpins and front brakes.I've never done kingpins before, so we'll see how this goes. I ordered an adjustable reamer on Amazon for $24 bucks, so hopefully that does the trick to get them fitted.

Starting this morning (after my coffee is done) to pull the front hubs and see if I can knock the kingpins out. Fingers crossed.

First off, love the truck—not often one sees a Mercury.

Second: where did you get the pipes since a shop would not do it for you.

First off, love the truck—not often one sees a Mercury.

Second: where did you get the pipes since a shop would not do it for you.

Thanks. The Mercury trucks are actually pretty common here in Canada. I wouldn't say they're 50/50 with the Fords or anything, but at any given car show around here, if there are 10 fomoco trucks there, 3 will be Mercs!

On the exhaust, I bought all individual pieces and welded them together myself to make the pipes myself.