Bullnose Forums

Rembrant's new non-Bullnose project

Rembrant

This is the very project I am working on now - swapping '95 donor truck serpentine stuff into my '81. I'm not quite as far along as you, but I probably will be tomorrow, so following this thread.

Ok, new development. From more internetting, I was told there was another way to do this.

Bypass the idler pulley completely and run the "upper" belt under the tensioner. See pic below:

IMG_7613.jpg.82fa3c534d22825e360feca45c12301a.jpg

I am using an old cut belt here with two needlenose Visegrips holding it together below the tensioner. According to my measuring, it comes out to about 93.25", so I went out and bought a 93" belt and can confirm that it doesn't fit. I think I'm going to try a 93.5" belt on it. The good news is that if this works it will save me from spending a couple hundred on a smog pump delete kit, and it gives more than 180 degrees wrap on the alternator pulley, for what little that is worth.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the very project I am working on now - swapping '95 donor truck serpentine stuff into my '81. I'm not quite as far along as you, but I probably will be tomorrow, so following this thread.

Ok, new development. From more internetting, I was told there was another way to do this.

Bypass the idler pulley completely and run the "upper" belt under the tensioner. See pic below:

I am using an old cut belt here with two needlenose Visegrips holding it together below the tensioner. According to my measuring, it comes out to about 93.25", so I went out and bought a 93" belt and can confirm that it doesn't fit. I think I'm going to try a 93.5" belt on it. The good news is that if this works it will save me from spending a couple hundred on a smog pump delete kit, and it gives more than 180 degrees wrap on the alternator pulley, for what little that is worth.

I don't think you'll have any problem driving a 95A alternator with a polygroove belt Cory.

If the 93 1/2" (2.375m) belt fits I would say "less parts is less to go wrong!". :nabble_smiley_good:

And it would really clean up the visible part of the engine if you were able to lose the idler....

Progress is GOOD! 😉

That’s cool! Actually looks better operational wise to me.

Good find! I have already ordered the smog pump delete kit, but it's in NY and I'm in TX so it will be a week or more. So I was resigned to not having use of my truck for that time, but if I can throw a $30 belt at it instead, it would be worth it until the kit comes in. Let me know what the final size is. Thanks!

Good find! I have already ordered the smog pump delete kit, but it's in NY and I'm in TX so it will be a week or more. So I was resigned to not having use of my truck for that time, but if I can throw a $30 belt at it instead, it would be worth it until the kit comes in. Let me know what the final size is. Thanks!

I'm hoping to grab a 93.5" belt tomorrow to test fit, but my engine being a 5.0 will have a shorter belt than a 351w.

Ah, ok. Well, the delta between what you measured and what the actual belt length that you ended up with will still be useful.

I ended up ordering a 93.5" belt from RockAuto. The price of belts locally is insane. They're $60-$70, and even $80 each. The 93.5" on Rock Auto was like $22 bucks, which I can live with. I needed a few other things anyway.

But...I have bad news and good news...lol. That smog delete idler pulley/bracket affair has a smaller pulley than the factory pulley that was on your smog pump. So the bad news is that the stock length belt may end up being too long. One solution is to buy an AC delete bracket and swap the pulley from it on to the smog delete bracket. Another solution is a shorter belt. Finally, if all else fails, you can tweak the tension by adding spacers (washers) under the alternator, or I suppose under the AC compressor.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I make out with mine when the 93.5" belt arrives. I'm hoping it will be long enough, but it could end up being a hair too short too.

But...I have bad news and good news...lol. That smog delete idler pulley/bracket affair has a smaller pulley than the factory pulley that was on your smog pump. So the bad news is that the stock length belt may end up being too long. One solution is to buy an AC delete bracket and swap the pulley from it on to the smog delete bracket. Another solution is a shorter belt. Finally, if all else fails, you can tweak the tension by adding spacers (washers) under the alternator, or I suppose under the AC compressor.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I make out with mine when the 93.5" belt arrives. I'm hoping it will be long enough, but it could end up being a hair too short too.

Yup, I was aware from a youtube video I watched that the pulley would be smaller, and have already sourced the larger AC pulley. Even it was somewhat smaller in diameter than the stock pulley from the smog pump. Not by much, maybe 3/4", so I suspect after it comes in, I will still be chasing the correct belt size.

Yup, I was aware from a youtube video I watched that the pulley would be smaller, and have already sourced the larger AC pulley. Even it was somewhat smaller in diameter than the stock pulley from the smog pump. Not by much, maybe 3/4", so I suspect after it comes in, I will still be chasing the correct belt size.

RockAuto to the rescue! I finally have a winner with this alternate belt routing. A 93.5" belt fits perfectly, and the tensioner is only at about 50% travel, maybe even a hair less. This should do the trick. I don't know how common this belt drive swap will be on the older trucks, but this is one way to run a 94-96 SBF serpentine belt (when smog pump is removed).

IMG_7636.jpg.5f920b65728f2d3d61524ce950c43b7a.jpg

IMG_7635.jpg.042f1ea939b08daa8d19739186fc867b.jpg