Bullnose Forums

Rembrant's new non-Bullnose project

Rembrant

A 1995 351 should be a roller, I think.

A 1995 would definitely be a roller block. I think the 351 was from 1994-up. My friend Chris has one for parts…a 1997 single wheel F350 4x4 with 351 and E4OD. It was a late built ‘97, but still the old Aeronose body. I thought about using that engine, but I am drawn to the 5.0 for some reason.

A roller 351w is the best small block ever in my opinion.

That would have been a sweet truck. No wonder it sold quickly.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 1995 would definitely be a roller block. I think the 351 was from 1994-up. My friend Chris has one for parts…a 1997 single wheel F350 4x4 with 351 and E4OD. It was a late built ‘97, but still the old Aeronose body. I thought about using that engine, but I am drawn to the 5.0 for some reason.

Yeah, I agree, sweet truck. Actually I would rather have the one your friend had, the F350 single rear wheel, 4x4, with the 351 and E4OD. I don’t think I’m going to find one.

Minor update: I finally got my little roller block 5.0 stripped down to the short block, and took the heads in to the local engine shop. There are two bolts snapped off in the driver's side cylinder head...one a 5/16" intake manifold bolt, and one a 3/8" exhaust manifold bolt. Not sure how big a deal they are to remove, but they're going to call with a quote to refresh both heads...and he said they likely have a good spare head in-stock anyway. No sense spending too much extracting bolts from an E7TE cylinder head...they're barely worth $50 each, and sometimes $50 per pair. Anyway, stay tuned for that, I guess.

Good news on the cylinder bores. Almost no ring ridge...likely next to nothing at all. I measured them for ID, and out of round, and they look great. Haven't checked for taper yet as the pistons/crank are still in there, but the cylinders are reading between 4.00", and 4.002", with the majority of them between 4.001" and 4.0015". These numbers are not 100% accurate as the the 4th digit on the caliper I was using only moves in increments of 0.0005". However, even if I'm off by a half a thou, or even a full 0.001", the cylinders appear to be well with the wear tolerances of 4.004", and 4.0052", and well within the out of round spec of 0.005". So that's good, assuming the taper is OK.

According to the engine shop, they tell me that many of the 302/5.0 blocks were as big as 4.002" when they were new anyway. The crosshatch pattern IS is clearly visible, but the engine shop that rebuilt my last 302 told me that that didn't matter. I dunno.

The only catch with this local shop is that they tell me they don't "rebuild" engines much anymore. They do machine work. So, they'll clean-up and machine my block for me, but I'll be on my own for assembly.

The decks need to be skimmed...there's a big ridge of rust along the exhaust side, and that really should be done. Hopefully the crank is OK and doesn't need machining. The cam and lifters look great, and I guess the good news is that everybody is telling me to re-use them. I'm not really used to that coming from the flat tappet world...lol.

IMG_6928.jpg.682819b1c80fc5395a2c78cea8ec0b0d.jpg

IMG_6930.jpg.3aa90ab21ed04a8076a2af0730ea786e.jpg

Interesting (to me) that this 1996 5.0 engine has factory flat top pistons in it...same as my 1984 302. There's a huge difference in chamber size between the old E8 heads and the 90's E7's, so this engine should have been 9:1 compression for sure, maybe even 9.1:1. I thought all of these 302's with the E7 heads had the deep dished pistons, but maybe that changed later on. I always wondered about the 9:1+ compression claims in the 90's, but maybe it was true on these 1994-up 5.0's with the F4TZ cam.

More to come once I hear from the engine shop...

And I'm not sure how I feel about rebuilding the engine myself, but I guess I might as well learn...lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update: I finally got my little roller block 5.0 stripped down to the short block, and took the heads in to the local engine shop. There are two bolts snapped off in the driver's side cylinder head...one a 5/16" intake manifold bolt, and one a 3/8" exhaust manifold bolt. Not sure how big a deal they are to remove, but they're going to call with a quote to refresh both heads...and he said they likely have a good spare head in-stock anyway. No sense spending too much extracting bolts from an E7TE cylinder head...they're barely worth $50 each, and sometimes $50 per pair. Anyway, stay tuned for that, I guess.

Good news on the cylinder bores. Almost no ring ridge...likely next to nothing at all. I measured them for ID, and out of round, and they look great. Haven't checked for taper yet as the pistons/crank are still in there, but the cylinders are reading between 4.00", and 4.002", with the majority of them between 4.001" and 4.0015". These numbers are not 100% accurate as the the 4th digit on the caliper I was using only moves in increments of 0.0005". However, even if I'm off by a half a thou, or even a full 0.001", the cylinders appear to be well with the wear tolerances of 4.004", and 4.0052", and well within the out of round spec of 0.005". So that's good, assuming the taper is OK.

According to the engine shop, they tell me that many of the 302/5.0 blocks were as big as 4.002" when they were new anyway. The crosshatch pattern IS is clearly visible, but the engine shop that rebuilt my last 302 told me that that didn't matter. I dunno.

The only catch with this local shop is that they tell me they don't "rebuild" engines much anymore. They do machine work. So, they'll clean-up and machine my block for me, but I'll be on my own for assembly.

The decks need to be skimmed...there's a big ridge of rust along the exhaust side, and that really should be done. Hopefully the crank is OK and doesn't need machining. The cam and lifters look great, and I guess the good news is that everybody is telling me to re-use them. I'm not really used to that coming from the flat tappet world...lol.

Interesting (to me) that this 1996 5.0 engine has factory flat top pistons in it...same as my 1984 302. There's a huge difference in chamber size between the old E8 heads and the 90's E7's, so this engine should have been 9:1 compression for sure, maybe even 9.1:1. I thought all of these 302's with the E7 heads had the deep dished pistons, but maybe that changed later on. I always wondered about the 9:1+ compression claims in the 90's, but maybe it was true on these 1994-up 5.0's with the F4TZ cam.

More to come once I hear from the engine shop...

And I'm not sure how I feel about rebuilding the engine myself, but I guess I might as well learn...lol.

I may have missed this, but what is your overall goal with the engine?

Hey Weberman,

Sorry for the late reply. Things have been a bit hectic lately.

The goal with this engine is really just a stock rebuild...and by rebuild, I really just mean re-gasket, re-ring, clean-up, and re-seal. I'll be installing a Edelbrock intake and a small 500CFM 4bbl carb, and a new dual direction timing cover with fuel pump mount.

I specifically wanted a 1994-1996 5.0 engine as it was the best one that was ever used in the F-Series. Not that it changed much over the previous roller block versions, but it did have the larger base circle F4 cam with the 351/HO firing order.

I may try bolt on EFI later on when the budget allows, but for 2022 I'm just trying to get it back on the road again as a driver. I've tossed the idea around to swap in a different cam, but I'm trying to keep the spending to a minimum on this one, and the overall swap still requires lots and lots of parts.

I'm always kickin' myself for not going with a roller block 351w...my friend Chris has one still in a 1997 F350 with a bad frame, and now after 3 projects I still kinda kick myself for not using it, so I guess I'm just a sucker for the 302...lol.

Hey Weberman,

Sorry for the late reply. Things have been a bit hectic lately.

The goal with this engine is really just a stock rebuild...and by rebuild, I really just mean re-gasket, re-ring, clean-up, and re-seal. I'll be installing a Edelbrock intake and a small 500CFM 4bbl carb, and a new dual direction timing cover with fuel pump mount.

I specifically wanted a 1994-1996 5.0 engine as it was the best one that was ever used in the F-Series. Not that it changed much over the previous roller block versions, but it did have the larger base circle F4 cam with the 351/HO firing order.

I may try bolt on EFI later on when the budget allows, but for 2022 I'm just trying to get it back on the road again as a driver. I've tossed the idea around to swap in a different cam, but I'm trying to keep the spending to a minimum on this one, and the overall swap still requires lots and lots of parts.

I'm always kickin' myself for not going with a roller block 351w...my friend Chris has one still in a 1997 F350 with a bad frame, and now after 3 projects I still kinda kick myself for not using it, so I guess I'm just a sucker for the 302...lol.

Picked up my freshened up E7 cylinder heads today. Surface skim, valves done, new expansion plugs, and new Viton valve seals. Tech said the valve guides were all good. He said that the later Ford heads must have head better guides as they seem to last much longer than the older ones did? No idea. They were able to remove the one broken intake manifold bolt, but the broken exhaust manifold stud had to be machined and Helicoiled. I tried welding a nut to the broken stud and couldn't get it to budge, so I don't feel so bad knowing they couldn't get it out either. Will get the rest of the short block disassembled this weekend so I can drop it off next week. Things are starting to come together, slowly but surely.

IMG_7022.jpg.8a7fccd95fd85010c166f9335c4a361e.jpg

Picked up my freshened up E7 cylinder heads today. Surface skim, valves done, new expansion plugs, and new Viton valve seals. Tech said the valve guides were all good. He said that the later Ford heads must have head better guides as they seem to last much longer than the older ones did? No idea. They were able to remove the one broken intake manifold bolt, but the broken exhaust manifold stud had to be machined and Helicoiled. I tried welding a nut to the broken stud and couldn't get it to budge, so I don't feel so bad knowing they couldn't get it out either. Will get the rest of the short block disassembled this weekend so I can drop it off next week. Things are starting to come together, slowly but surely.

I guess the heads "came together", but it sounds like the block is "coming apart". :nabble_smiley_evil:

Whatever, it is all PROGRESS! :nabble_anim_claps:

• 1 month later...

I guess the heads "came together", but it sounds like the block is "coming apart". :nabble_smiley_evil:

Whatever, it is all PROGRESS! :nabble_anim_claps:

I haven't updated this project thread in a while, so here's the latest news...

As you know I purchased a 5.0 V8 out of a 1996 F150. I had it mostly stripped down and had the heads refurbed already. I was just getting ready to take the short block in to the engine shop for a refresh when one popped up locally already finished and ready to go. That changed my plans slightly, but buying a finished short block knocks weeks, if not not a full month off my project schedule. This IS good news. The only catch is that the finished shortblock had a Ford E303 cam in it, and Foxbody oil pan and sump. However, it had brand new pistons, new roller lifters, new timing chain, oil pump, etc. The block had been line honed and balanced, too. Anyway, I swapped the truck cam over as well as the truck oil pan and sump, and then buttoned the heads on yesterday with new TTY bolts. It's starting to feel like and engine again!

IMG_7196.jpg.bc06a29e97ca6a292c16226740d6934c.jpg

IMG_7197.jpg.b3ac8b3e576bdf65e6100fcb43ad1f08.jpg

IMG_7198.jpg.6c25385fd2900700ec57daa7c9899fc1.jpg

IMG_7199.jpg.afa7d0cdf96c634bea1a11269dc82097.jpg

So that's where it sits as of today. I'm going to paint the engine gloss black, leaving the intake and water pump in raw aluminum.

Put another big order in today with both RockAuto and Summit, so I should have more parts to work with by next weekend. As per everybody's suggestions on here I ordered all new seals and gaskets, filters, etc for the 4R70W trans. New flexplate, new PMGR starter, etc, etc. My goal is to have the engine and trans mounted in the truck by the end of January.

PS: By the way, I noticed that this shortbock I bought has a pilot bearing in the crank. Do I need to remove that, or can I just leave it in there if I'm installing an auto trans? I guess I'll have to test fit the flexplate and see.

By the way #2...for the 4R70W input seal, I ordered a "torque converter shaft seal". I assume this is what one would call the input seal? I'm not used to working on auto trannys. On manuals, I'd just order an input shaft seal.

So, my current holdup is that I still need to remove some stuff from the truck. I have to swap in a Toyota power steering box that I'll be operating with the Ford CII pump. Since some fab work is required to get the box in, I really need to get that done in order to position the engine properly.

Other things to note...

I'll be running the stock 1996 3G alternator (I think 95 amp), and I'll be going with an 80's DSII ignition module, etc. I already have the distributor, and the PMGR starter. So this old thing will be very Bullnose-ish under the hood...or upgraded Bullnose-ish at least.

Anyway, I still have a long LONG way to go, but with the engine starting to look like an engine again, and trans rehab parts on the way, I'm feeling like I'll be able to get it all installed in the truck soon. Once I get that far, everything else will seem like gravy after that.

I haven't updated this project thread in a while, so here's the latest news...

As you know I purchased a 5.0 V8 out of a 1996 F150. I had it mostly stripped down and had the heads refurbed already. I was just getting ready to take the short block in to the engine shop for a refresh when one popped up locally already finished and ready to go. That changed my plans slightly, but buying a finished short block knocks weeks, if not not a full month off my project schedule. This IS good news. The only catch is that the finished shortblock had a Ford E303 cam in it, and Foxbody oil pan and sump. However, it had brand new pistons, new roller lifters, new timing chain, oil pump, etc. The block had been line honed and balanced, too. Anyway, I swapped the truck cam over as well as the truck oil pan and sump, and then buttoned the heads on yesterday with new TTY bolts. It's starting to feel like and engine again!

So that's where it sits as of today. I'm going to paint the engine gloss black, leaving the intake and water pump in raw aluminum.

Put another big order in today with both RockAuto and Summit, so I should have more parts to work with by next weekend. As per everybody's suggestions on here I ordered all new seals and gaskets, filters, etc for the 4R70W trans. New flexplate, new PMGR starter, etc, etc. My goal is to have the engine and trans mounted in the truck by the end of January.

PS: By the way, I noticed that this shortbock I bought has a pilot bearing in the crank. Do I need to remove that, or can I just leave it in there if I'm installing an auto trans? I guess I'll have to test fit the flexplate and see.

By the way #2...for the 4R70W input seal, I ordered a "torque converter shaft seal". I assume this is what one would call the input seal? I'm not used to working on auto trannys. On manuals, I'd just order an input shaft seal.

So, my current holdup is that I still need to remove some stuff from the truck. I have to swap in a Toyota power steering box that I'll be operating with the Ford CII pump. Since some fab work is required to get the box in, I really need to get that done in order to position the engine properly.

Other things to note...

I'll be running the stock 1996 3G alternator (I think 95 amp), and I'll be going with an 80's DSII ignition module, etc. I already have the distributor, and the PMGR starter. So this old thing will be very Bullnose-ish under the hood...or upgraded Bullnose-ish at least.

Anyway, I still have a long LONG way to go, but with the engine starting to look like an engine again, and trans rehab parts on the way, I'm feeling like I'll be able to get it all installed in the truck soon. Once I get that far, everything else will seem like gravy after that.

looks great and I love the old truck lurking in all the pics trying to get a little attention. i have a niece like that. what type of belt system are you planning to use? timing cover looks to be for a clockwise rotation like a v belt would use