Bullnose Forums

Brake whoas and conundrums

Have you considered simply annealing the washers you have?

Copper is the opposite of steel in that it *needs* to be quenched in order to come out soft.

I did think of that, as I have done that on my 1951 Plymouth. However the old washers have a number of deep grooves from the machining on the old brake lines. Looks like dorman sells them by the pair I can compare the Id by the brake line.

I did think of that, as I have done that on my 1951 Plymouth. However the old washers have a number of deep grooves from the machining on the old brake lines. Looks like dorman sells them by the pair I can compare the Id by the brake line.

Concentric grooves act as dams, blocking leaks.

So it's not entirely bad that your old lines have coarse machining on the banjos.

New washers should be dead soft.

I just remember annealing copper head gaskets when replacements were unavailable.

Concentric grooves act as dams, blocking leaks.

So it's not entirely bad that your old lines have coarse machining on the banjos.

New washers should be dead soft.

I just remember annealing copper head gaskets when replacements were unavailable.

That sounds like a plan. I’ll anneal the one in there and hope for the best. Probably be a few days before I can get to it again.

1951 Plymouth? I drove a '50 to high school. It was my father's car and it was indestructible. Not fast. Not flashy. But solid.

Anyway, sounds like you have a plan. Good luck!

There is. It’s leaking from the caliper side, not the banjo bolt side.

IIRC I had one do the same now if I can remember the copper washer Dia. was to large to fit into the recess of the caliper. It looked close and can be over looked till you have a leak like this.

I dont remember what I did to fix it but I want to say I re-used the old washer and no more leak.

Dave ----

There is. It’s leaking from the caliper side, not the banjo bolt side.

IIRC I had one do the same now if I can remember the copper washer Dia. was to large to fit into the recess of the caliper. It looked close and can be over looked till you have a leak like this.

I dont remember what I did to fix it but I want to say I re-used the old washer and no more leak.

Dave ----

That's basically why I asked about the size of the washers. I've seen some that wouldn't fit down in.