Bullnose Forums

ISO Styleside SWB w/ Dual Tank owners

I'm hoping to get the assistance from owners of SWB Stylesides with dual tanks.

What I'd like to know are dimensions of the placement of the rear fill door.

Via this post, I'm starting the process of adding a rear tank to my '85 Bullnose. I will probably be eliminating the 16 gal. mid-ship tank and would like to cut the forward fill door and place it in the right location as if it was supposed to be there (rear of wheel well).

Anybody out there that is willing to take some measurements for me?

Thanks in advance!

I am sure you can get that information from any style side even a long bed as the difference between LB & SB was at the front.

So if you can find a truck in a parking lot you can measure it.

I know the difference is at the front of the bed as I used a style side LB ribbed floor to replace the SB wood floor on my flare side.

If you plan on driving the truck and unless you are going bigger that a 19 gallon rear tank is to keep the 16 gallon front tank and make it a true dual tank truck.

I added a 19 gallon rear tank to my flare side along with the factory 16 gallon front making my truck a true dual tank flare side. I used all factory parts so it looks like a factory dual tank truck.

BTW dual tank flare sides were never an option!

Dave ----

I am sure you can get that information from any style side even a long bed as the difference between LB & SB was at the front.

So if you can find a truck in a parking lot you can measure it.

I know the difference is at the front of the bed as I used a style side LB ribbed floor to replace the SB wood floor on my flare side.

If you plan on driving the truck and unless you are going bigger that a 19 gallon rear tank is to keep the 16 gallon front tank and make it a true dual tank truck.

I added a 19 gallon rear tank to my flare side along with the factory 16 gallon front making my truck a true dual tank flare side. I used all factory parts so it looks like a factory dual tank truck.

BTW dual tank flare sides were never an option!

Dave ----

Thanks Dave

I was wondering if the short bed was different from the regular bed before or after the wheel well. Now the problem of finding a truck to measure becomes a little less challenging than before, however still challenging. As you are aware, we just don't see that many Bullnoses around these parts, much less one with an aft tank.

So I guess now I'll ask for the help of anyone with a Styleside and an aft tank that can take some measurements for me?

As to keeping the mid-ship tank;

A - I don't want to get into all that is involved with the switches/ valves/ senders/ etc. and. . . . .

B - I might be remembering this incorrectly, but wasn't there a story on 60 Minutes back in the day showing side impacts with these trucks and the fiery carnage that resulted?

C - I'll be using the Spectra F8D. So now I'll have 33 gallons of explosive liquid back behind me, where it belongs.:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Thanks Dave

I was wondering if the short bed was different from the regular bed before or after the wheel well. Now the problem of finding a truck to measure becomes a little less challenging than before, however still challenging. As you are aware, we just don't see that many Bullnoses around these parts, much less one with an aft tank.

So I guess now I'll ask for the help of anyone with a Styleside and an aft tank that can take some measurements for me?

A - I don't want to get into all that is involved with the switches/ valves/ senders/ etc. and. . . . .

B - I might be remembering this incorrectly, but wasn't there a story on 60 Minutes back in the day showing side impacts with these trucks and the fiery carnage that resulted?

C - I'll be using the Spectra F8D. So now I'll have 33 gallons of explosive liquid back behind me, where it belongs.http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

Let's see if this helps. I measured from the bottom of the fender up as it is really hard to get a good reference point on the top of the fender. I make it out to be 10 1/4" to the bottom of the opening, although parallax makes it look a bit more in this pic. And that is bending around the piece of trim that is there.

Rear_Filler_Door_Vertical_-_Measurement.thumb.jpg.85ee6177fe18bd6053f66714d61e49d7.jpg

And here's how I measure the distance from the cutout for the taillight, and that is 15 3/4". Is that what you need?

Rear_Filler_Door_Longtitudinal_-_Measurement.thumb.jpg.cd86eb822ff8fd730efea9a11fe382e5.jpgRear_Filler_Door_Longtitudinal_-_Overall.thumb.jpg.d789ab6f4d960c72c9a72d7a0a386d1b.jpg

Let's see if this helps. I measured from the bottom of the fender up as it is really hard to get a good reference point on the top of the fender. I make it out to be 10 1/4" to the bottom of the opening, although parallax makes it look a bit more in this pic. And that is bending around the piece of trim that is there.

And here's how I measure the distance from the cutout for the taillight, and that is 15 3/4". Is that what you need?

Thanks for the photos and measurements Gary

As for the verticle dim, could you take it from the top down instead of the bottom up? Using a similar meathod to this

IMG_2083.thumb.jpg.86721aed1e0c2b000688a5866ac911d1.jpg

You dont have to use a level, simply something flat that can span across the tailgate and the top of the fender.

The next question I have is whether or not there is any kind of bulge on the inside of the bed that could indicate a pathway for the filler hose. There is something like that in front of the wheel well for the mid-ship tank but nothing for a rear tank in my bed.

Thanks for the photos and measurements Gary

As for the verticle dim, could you take it from the top down instead of the bottom up? Using a similar meathod to this

You dont have to use a level, simply something flat that can span across the tailgate and the top of the fender.

The next question I have is whether or not there is any kind of bulge on the inside of the bed that could indicate a pathway for the filler hose. There is something like that in front of the wheel well for the mid-ship tank but nothing for a rear tank in my bed.

Yes, I can measure that - tomorrow. And check for a bulge, but I'm pretty sure there isn't one.

Thanks Dave

C - I'll be using the Spectra F8D. So now I'll have 33 gallons of explosive liquid back behind me, where it belongs.:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Ford trucks have the midship tank inside the frame rails.

GM trucks from the '70's-'80's were involved, but the "expose" was determined to be rigged and NBC admitted as much.

Ford trucks have the midship tank inside the frame rails.

GM trucks from the '70's-'80's were involved, but the "expose" was determined to be rigged and NBC admitted as much.

Well, that's one of the hardest things to photograph I've ever tried. There aren't any precise breaks to capture as everything is a curve.

In any event, I put a piece of angle across the bed with a blue paper towel protecting the bed, and it looks like the break starts at 12 5/16" down, and it is complete by 12 9/16", as sorta shown below.

Rear_Filler_Opening_Measurements.thumb.jpg.ebe6fa96fcd5cb6c9c5c936404b4a484.jpg

And, as it turns out there is a bump in the bed to accomodate the filler hose, as shown below. It measures roughly 11" long by 5 1/2" high and it sticks out ~2 1/2".

Left_Bed_with_Bump_For_Filler.thumb.jpg.6c815bfa744b0528dcb88a8996d1bf44.jpg

Rght_Bed_without_Bump_For_Filler.thumb.jpg.650810d53c4148b79181aa4474a26c57.jpg

Well, that's one of the hardest things to photograph I've ever tried. There aren't any precise breaks to capture as everything is a curve.

In any event, I put a piece of angle across the bed with a blue paper towel protecting the bed, and it looks like the break starts at 12 5/16" down, and it is complete by 12 9/16", as sorta shown below.

And, as it turns out there is a bump in the bed to accomodate the filler hose, as shown below. It measures roughly 11" long by 5 1/2" high and it sticks out ~2 1/2".

48%"/>

Gary, that's perfect!

Very interesting on the bump.

I was afraid of that and it now adds a new session of head scratching.