Bullnose Forums

Gas leak, occasional power loss

Aren't we looking down into the intake manifold?

Odd collection of galvanized plumbing elbows slathered in what looks like RTV.

I'm guessing that is a heated base plate to help atomize fuel in cold weather.

Whooops ! Sorry , yes intake . The antifreeze is normal ? I have seen the carb mounting stands to eliminate the old base I guess was used with the old feedback carb? But the one I saw was $100 at the time

Thx !

Aren't we looking down into the intake manifold?

Odd collection of galvanized plumbing elbows slathered in what looks like RTV.

I'm guessing that is a heated base plate to help atomize fuel in cold weather.

Jim - I think you are right. But I don't think there should be coolant leaking when the carb is pulled.

Is that hole with coolant in it supposed to be sealed?

Jim - I think you are right. But I don't think there should be coolant leaking when the carb is pulled.

Is that hole with coolant in it supposed to be sealed?

I think that hole is for the EGR spacer to connect to, but I can't be sure.

I'm no 300 expert and it's hard to grasp what I'm looking at with only close-ups and pics sideways.

I think that hole is for the EGR spacer to connect to, but I can't be sure.

I'm no 300 expert and it's hard to grasp what I'm looking at with only close-ups and pics sideways.

I agree. I've worked on David's 300, but only once and it was just for timing and AFR. So I don't know how to help.

I'm going to tag Dave/FuzzFace2 as I think he will know.

I agree. I've worked on David's 300, but only once and it was just for timing and AFR. So I don't know how to help.

Thanks guys! It did not look right to me and the little puddle inside the intake was concerning. Maybe the gasket is supposed to block that hole?

Thanks guys! It did not look right to me and the little puddle inside the intake was concerning. Maybe the gasket is supposed to block that hole?

I was wondering if it was expected to plug that hole. But if I remember correctly Dave said he used a brass cup plug to seal that hole. Let's see what he says.

I was wondering if it was expected to plug that hole. But if I remember correctly Dave said he used a brass cup plug to seal that hole. Let's see what he says.

Sorry for the cr***y pics . I will get some better ones of this Frankenstein setup.

Dave is in the house!

Ok from what I can see he is running EFI exh. manifolds and has a hot water heating plate bolted to the bottom of the intake where the log exh. manifold was bolted to.

If that is the case I was afraid of that happening or the gasket not sealing and the intake sucking coolant in and think a head gasket went bad.

If you were to look over the intake and where the plate is bolted to, coolant will make it up to that point.

My fix for that and now happy I did this, was to install a freeze plug with a little sealer on it.

20170128_103552.jpg.b043d3768ac31e34f121e3b35efc5c6b.jpg

I have had may carb off a time or 2 and had no coolant leak so guess it is holding.

As for the idle mix screw not doing much what was the idle speed set to?

If it was to high the mixture screw would not do much.

I dont know if the accel pump could cause a rich idle on the Carter carb?

It sits in the bottom of the float bowl and there is a plastic tube that goes from the pump body to the carb body and the passage for the discharge into the carb.

If the pump is bad the rebuild should fix it.

Dave ----

Sorry for the cr***y pics . I will get some better ones of this Frankenstein setup.

That wasn't meant as a criticism of your pictures.

Just that my lack of familiarity with the 300 makes me question context and what all I don't see...

Perhaps Dave, David, Larry or someone else with a 300 has better answers for you.