Bullnose Forums

It ran ran Fine Yesterday, well kind of, and now it doesn't start

Yes, Iā€™m confident SMP makes the NAPA ignition parts.

OK Here's the update, it's fixed but.....

I'm not 100% sure it WAS the pickup Coil.

Bought he pickup coil at NAPA, good call Dane. Nice quality and it fit perfectly.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX_RYSsI2YeuE6uFpF2IRvZ7YtRVybBwI6PbgcDHoMcUH-yS3gv2WJyNPLxf4bKjAelNYkvSjR_LBLm20QBpdniTBUMjJuG9TmluT_vnmVg005dS3d8tF1V4_vKJnTgH0jupwfMTUAdJRir9dVySDlacg=w476-h979-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUhsMbDo7qPphPj_iCda8i7NKsMd2cZ2HH5iuXgM5hz4faklz1q5T3TNHGKDBs1nUm-dyAo0CFSbxeVSdX1mXOUc_qX5Ggrutv1FmBj-KuBeAr6o8BHzmnSzgnhup_QM5fwh0qN1j64ILzyKjx4LJcbnw=w476-h979-no?authuser=0

I actually started the truck and moved closer to the workshop to save me a little time running back and forth for tools

After I ran out to get the E-clip I had broke while trying to reinstall it on the advance linkage, I put the distributor back to together and cleaned up the ground as we discussed Jim.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWMDOM6MWnR4ZU1iJJEouUQuAa7el2ksO_XRTjCWIjnDlNKJkbySj2LPak47zZf6dtbg-estRA-GES7yIcbQ3LKhXcfjzHsuODw4XIc7WFhmL-PcWFO1yW0s35yOy5TwV_9I-b8amHSASvXSzDBGjlBbA=w476-h979-no?authuser=0

Put the rotor and cap back on.

went in turned the key and nothing, :nabble_anim_confused:

Double checked my connections (since the harness side of the plug is non-existent I went with female blade crimps for the time being.

Tried to start it again, nothing, Oh! I know I'll put in the Ignition Module I had bought before this project started.

All bolted down and plugged in, Turned the key and Voila! she fired right up!

I went and got gas, and drove the truck around the rest of the afternoon including stopping at the families house for about and hour.

Like I said at the beginning, I started the truck and moved it so it definitely had something intermittent going on, but there are some suspect wiring adjustments that I will continue to remedy before I can confirm that those do not cause any issues down the road.

If anyone has experienced the same situation, I'm all ears to know if I have more avenues that i should check into or is it safe to say it fixed?

Ā 

OK Here's the update, it's fixed but.....

I'm not 100% sure it WAS the pickup Coil.

Bought he pickup coil at NAPA, good call Dane. Nice quality and it fit perfectly.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX_RYSsI2YeuE6uFpF2IRvZ7YtRVybBwI6PbgcDHoMcUH-yS3gv2WJyNPLxf4bKjAelNYkvSjR_LBLm20QBpdniTBUMjJuG9TmluT_vnmVg005dS3d8tF1V4_vKJnTgH0jupwfMTUAdJRir9dVySDlacg=w476-h979-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUhsMbDo7qPphPj_iCda8i7NKsMd2cZ2HH5iuXgM5hz4faklz1q5T3TNHGKDBs1nUm-dyAo0CFSbxeVSdX1mXOUc_qX5Ggrutv1FmBj-KuBeAr6o8BHzmnSzgnhup_QM5fwh0qN1j64ILzyKjx4LJcbnw=w476-h979-no?authuser=0

I actually started the truck and moved closer to the workshop to save me a little time running back and forth for tools

After I ran out to get the E-clip I had broke while trying to reinstall it on the advance linkage, I put the distributor back to together and cleaned up the ground as we discussed Jim.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWMDOM6MWnR4ZU1iJJEouUQuAa7el2ksO_XRTjCWIjnDlNKJkbySj2LPak47zZf6dtbg-estRA-GES7yIcbQ3LKhXcfjzHsuODw4XIc7WFhmL-PcWFO1yW0s35yOy5TwV_9I-b8amHSASvXSzDBGjlBbA=w476-h979-no?authuser=0

Put the rotor and cap back on.

went in turned the key and nothing, :nabble_anim_confused:

Double checked my connections (since the harness side of the plug is non-existent I went with female blade crimps for the time being.

Tried to start it again, nothing, Oh! I know I'll put in the Ignition Module I had bought before this project started.

All bolted down and plugged in, Turned the key and Voila! she fired right up!

I went and got gas, and drove the truck around the rest of the afternoon including stopping at the families house for about and hour.

Like I said at the beginning, I started the truck and moved it so it definitely had something intermittent going on, but there are some suspect wiring adjustments that I will continue to remedy before I can confirm that those do not cause any issues down the road.

If anyone has experienced the same situation, I'm all ears to know if I have more avenues that i should check into or is it safe to say it fixed?

When it comes to poor running and not running at all (no spark) and the age of our trucks I am seeing more posts of things we would never thing would happen.

Take the IGN box, it would be they worked or did not.

Then they would just shut the motor down till they cooled off and fire back up again.

Others have had just poor running, no power, etc. but never stopped running and turned out to be the box.

Thats what just happened to me, on 45 min drive to work at about the 30 min mark, from what I can tell would cut off and back on and flash the turn dash lights? Tach did not jump like I thought it would.

That was a new one on me and the truck ran great other wise.

I want to say I have seen a post of motor running bad or spark issues when hot and thinking it was a box was changed out a few times and still had the issue.

The person found the magnet on the pick up coil in the dist. was cracked. Look yous over to see if the magnet may be cracked?

Dave ----

When it comes to poor running and not running at all (no spark) and the age of our trucks I am seeing more posts of things we would never thing would happen.

Take the IGN box, it would be they worked or did not.

Then they would just shut the motor down till they cooled off and fire back up again.

Others have had just poor running, no power, etc. but never stopped running and turned out to be the box.

Thats what just happened to me, on 45 min drive to work at about the 30 min mark, from what I can tell would cut off and back on and flash the turn dash lights? Tach did not jump like I thought it would.

That was a new one on me and the truck ran great other wise.

I want to say I have seen a post of motor running bad or spark issues when hot and thinking it was a box was changed out a few times and still had the issue.

The person found the magnet on the pick up coil in the dist. was cracked. Look yous over to see if the magnet may be cracked?

Dave ----

šŸ™‹ That's me!

I had a pickup magnet cracked on a crappy sleeting night in Portchester.

Miserable walk home that night.