Bullnose Forums

Stainless water pump bolts

What are your opinions on using stainless water pump/timing cover bolts?

What type of never sieze thred sealant is recomended?

I have access to 18-8 stainless bolts. When i pulled the motor apart several of the factory bolts give me alot of problems.

18-8 CRES in what condition A or B? Major difference in strength, also problem is mostly a galvanic corrosion issue. Coat new bolts in RTV so water can't get in between them and the aluminum timing cover.

That i do not no the answer to. Will the markings on the head of the bolt tell me this?

18-8 CRES in what condition A or B? Major difference in strength, also problem is mostly a galvanic corrosion issue. Coat new bolts in RTV so water can't get in between them and the aluminum timing cover.

Do you really want RTV on the threads of the bolt though. I dont know of anyone but shade tree still using the outdated RTV for sealing bolts. I like using the ARP thread sealer which should in theory prevent galling of the stainless steel bolts as well as prevent corrosion.

Do you really want RTV on the threads of the bolt though. I dont know of anyone but shade tree still using the outdated RTV for sealing bolts. I like using the ARP thread sealer which should in theory prevent galling of the stainless steel bolts as well as prevent corrosion.

I am primarily recommending it on the bolt shanks so they will not corrode to the aluminum Mr. expert. I spent 30 years working in a DOD contractor's laboratory and one thing I did was test fasteners. I assume your ARP thread sealer will prevent seepage past gaskets, water intrusion from high humidity as the engine cools down and moisture laden air creeps in under the head of the bolt?

I am primarily recommending it on the bolt shanks so they will not corrode to the aluminum Mr. expert. I spent 30 years working in a DOD contractor's laboratory and one thing I did was test fasteners. I assume your ARP thread sealer will prevent seepage past gaskets, water intrusion from high humidity as the engine cools down and moisture laden air creeps in under the head of the bolt?

Thats not the same as the automotive field. The automotive field does things differently and it has nothing to do with being an expert. No one in the automotive field puts RTV on the shank of bolts to prevent corrosion, and corrosion wouldnt be limited to just stainless steel which is more resistant to corrosion than standard steel fasteners and I dont see them recommending RTV on the shank of plain steel bolts to prevent water intrusion under the head of the bolt.

I also dont believe the corrosion issues ford have with corroding in the timing cover is a result of moisture seeping past the head of the bolt. Every one I have seen corroded had been leaking coolant past the threads. Engines Ive pulled the front off of that did not have a coolant leak past the threads were all clean with no corrosion with in the timing cover set. My '82 wasnt leaking when I had to pull the timing cover off, only leak I had that forced me to pull the cover off was the gasket between cover and block was leaking coolant. The bolts came out without a bit of corrosion on them. Ones on my '78 how ever I had corrosion on the bolts when I removed them including on the threads but nothing that resulted in broken bolts.