Bullnose Forums

Power Brake Conversion

I searched the Forum for a Manual Brake to Power Brake conversion but didn't find anything except for a Hydroboost conversion.

I just want to convert my manual brakes to power. I know I have to change the pedal and add a booster.

Is that it? Master Cylinder/Rod? Any brake Lines? Thanks in advance for any help!!

I don't think we have anything about converting to power brakes. The vast majority of the trucks came with power brakes, so it is rare anyone needs to convert.

But according to our page on brakes (Documentation/Driveline/Brakes) it looks like your master cylinder is probably E0TZ 2140-C and you need to go to D7TZ 2140-C. And the booster will be E0TZ 2005-A.

As for the lines, I don't know. But I'd bet that you won't have to change them. Surely the fitting sizes are the same and there's usually plenty of extra line in the coil so you can move the master cylinder forward.

master-cylinder-application-1.jpg.f9d953b033e0dfc978b7e1d2a52a259e.jpgmaster-cylinder-application-2.thumb.jpg.b8a5cc0669d0dab4c499ed5c897a7377.jpg

I don't think we have anything about converting to power brakes. The vast majority of the trucks came with power brakes, so it is rare anyone needs to convert.

But according to our page on brakes (Documentation/Driveline/Brakes) it looks like your master cylinder is probably E0TZ 2140-C and you need to go to D7TZ 2140-C. And the booster will be E0TZ 2005-A.

As for the lines, I don't know. But I'd bet that you won't have to change them. Surely the fitting sizes are the same and there's usually plenty of extra line in the coil so you can move the master cylinder forward.

Aren't there caliper/spindle mounting differences as well?

I know nothing about the lighter duty brake systems, but somehow I recall Dave having an issue with his Flareside.

I'm going to tag him anyway.

Aren't there caliper/spindle mounting differences as well?

I know nothing about the lighter duty brake systems, but somehow I recall Dave having an issue with his Flareside.

I'm going to tag him anyway.

Yes, there are differences at the caliper, but I assumed BillyRay is going to keep the existing calipers and just add boost. However, if he is wanting to change them then that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Yes, there are differences at the caliper, but I assumed BillyRay is going to keep the existing calipers and just add boost. However, if he is wanting to change them then that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Oh. I thought by changing the master cylinder bore you would need to swap out the calipers to have an effective ratio.

Thanks for enlightening me! :nabble_smiley_good:

Didn't someone put an F450 master on an F250 w/o changing the calipers or rear brakes? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

8,500# and up all have the same bore master cylinder.

There's no difference there.

Just because you swapped a vacuum booster for a hydraulic booster doesn't change the master/slave ratio.

Edit:

But looking at your chart above, it seems 100/150 both with and without booster use a 1" bore master cylinder.

And this is why I said I'd tag the guy who I remember having to deal with changing from no assist to power brakes.

(I still want to hear what Dave has to say)

8,500# and up all have the same bore master cylinder.

There's no difference there.

Just because you swapped a vacuum booster for a hydraulic booster doesn't change the master/slave ratio.

Edit:

But looking at your chart above, it seems 100/150 both with and without booster use a 1" bore master cylinder.

And this is why I said I'd tag the guy who I remember having to deal with changing from no assist to power brakes.

(I still want to hear what Dave has to say)

Dave is in the house :nabble_anim_jump:

Ok I did the swap from non-power to power on my 81 F100 using parts from a 81 F100.

Before I did the swap and as Jim pointed out the I found the masters had the same bore dia.

I also found in the search that the rear wheel cyl were the same dia. but the drum & shoe sizes were different, cant remember what one was the larger, maybe the non-power?

I also found in the search that the calipers had the same piston dia.

Also as pointed out the calipers, pads, rotors, spindles, beams will not interchange.

So all I did was take the power brake pedal assy, booster & master from the power brake truck and bolted it into my non-power brake truck.

Hope this answers some questions for the 100/150 trucks

Dave ----

Dave is in the house :nabble_anim_jump:

Ok I did the swap from non-power to power on my 81 F100 using parts from a 81 F100.

Before I did the swap and as Jim pointed out the I found the masters had the same bore dia.

I also found in the search that the rear wheel cyl were the same dia. but the drum & shoe sizes were different, cant remember what one was the larger, maybe the non-power?

I also found in the search that the calipers had the same piston dia.

Also as pointed out the calipers, pads, rotors, spindles, beams will not interchange.

So all I did was take the power brake pedal assy, booster & master from the power brake truck and bolted it into my non-power brake truck.

Hope this answers some questions for the 100/150 trucks

Dave ----

Thanks for weighing in, Dave! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I hope it clears things up for Billy Ray.

Thanks for weighing in, Dave! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I hope it clears things up for Billy Ray.

Yea if he has an 81 like in his sig then he could do what I did, get a power peddle assy., booster & master.

I did have to replace the booster & master as they were bad and think that is why the parts truck rolled on its roof.

Dave ----