Bullnose Forums

Delayed stalling

Yeah, I think I might just replace it. I’m going to need to dig into it a bit though. I keep reading stuff about HEI distributors, but haven’t paid much attention to what those actually are good for.

Thanks for your help as always, Jim!

They are an economical alternative when you need to completely replace your ignition system.

A few people here are vehemently opposed to anything that's not 'pure' Ford.

But these people don't look at the bigger picture, in my mind.

Your coil and module are new. I don't know if they are good, but they seem recent.

There are things to be said for sticking with what you've got.

Which would include a huge knowledge base of how to fix it, and ready availability of replacement parts.

I'm not going to have any opinion beyond that.

If I were you, I would do some diagnosis the next time the truck overheats and won't restart.

Does your truck have a tach?

Do you have a multimeter?

They are an economical alternative when you need to completely replace your ignition system.

A few people here are vehemently opposed to anything that's not 'pure' Ford.

But these people don't look at the bigger picture, in my mind.

Your coil and module are new. I don't know if they are good, but they seem recent.

There are things to be said for sticking with what you've got.

Which would include a huge knowledge base of how to fix it, and ready availability of replacement parts.

I'm not going to have any opinion beyond that.

If I were you, I would do some diagnosis the next time the truck overheats and won't restart.

Does your truck have a tach?

Do you have a multimeter?

Oh I agree to sticking with the system (beyond the obvious upgrade to the Sniper). I’m certainly willing to spend the money to make it right.

I do have a multimeter, but no tach. I think I know what you mean by overheat (if we assume the ignition system is doing so), but just to be clear, this happens with the temp as low as 120F (according the thermostat on the Sniper).

I’m about to grab this, honestly… https://www.ebay.com/itm/184541655769

Oh I agree to sticking with the system (beyond the obvious upgrade to the Sniper). I’m certainly willing to spend the money to make it right.

I do have a multimeter, but no tach. I think I know what you mean by overheat (if we assume the ignition system is doing so), but just to be clear, this happens with the temp as low as 120F (according the thermostat on the Sniper).

I’m about to grab this, honestly… https://www.ebay.com/itm/184541655769

I don't know how that compares to the cost of a re-man at the local auto parts, but I have bought from Sparks Surplus before, and everything has always been on point. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I don't know how that compares to the cost of a re-man at the local auto parts, but I have bought from Sparks Surplus before, and everything has always been on point. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Procured! Hopefully it’s easy to drop in if I keep everything in the right spot! Thanks for the insight, Jim!

Procured! Hopefully it’s easy to drop in if I keep everything in the right spot! Thanks for the insight, Jim!

I put a HEI style disti in the Bronco. It got me running. Now I am having the engine rebuilt I am going back to MSD/motorcaft. The HEI got me through a couple of year and was worth the $150 or so it cost. But it always looked odd in place.

Good luck trouble shooting, it will be worth it.

You say "sniper" can tell you things what does it have to say just before it stops running?

When hard to start is it getting fuel to the injector(s)?

Dose it have spark as that would tell you where you need to look?

It would be nice to know the cause before throwing parts at it.

Dave ----

You say "sniper" can tell you things what does it have to say just before it stops running?

When hard to start is it getting fuel to the injector(s)?

Dose it have spark as that would tell you where you need to look?

It would be nice to know the cause before throwing parts at it.

Dave ----

Hi Dave,

Yeah, even EFI System Pros aren’t sure what the issue is. Everything seems to be working correctly to them.

Here’s an example of an effort to keep it running. 8CBC140C-404C-44BC-99C7-CC58D98E90B2.thumb.png.e48ac4982e422e7660e58ffe59c74d72.png

Hi Dave,

Yeah, even EFI System Pros aren’t sure what the issue is. Everything seems to be working correctly to them.

Here’s an example of an effort to keep it running.

Interesting!

I asked if you had a tach, to see if the ignition just cut off.

But if I'm reading the red line correctly it shows rpm falling off over a few seconds, and not just ending?

Then the IAC goes high in an effort to keep it alive?

Helpful diagnostic at any rate. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Interesting!

I asked if you had a tach, to see if the ignition just cut off.

But if I'm reading the red line correctly it shows rpm falling off over a few seconds, and not just ending?

Then the IAC goes high in an effort to keep it alive?

Helpful diagnostic at any rate. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Ah, yes, I thought you meant stock (as in wiring was involved).

But yeah, what basically happened is it slowly closes out iac until it slams open and cuts out. I think it’s basically flooding the engine.

The reason is the sniper trying to slowly get down to what my idle setting is (700). It’s part of the set up process.

Ah, yes, I thought you meant stock (as in wiring was involved).

But yeah, what basically happened is it slowly closes out iac until it slams open and cuts out. I think it’s basically flooding the engine.

The reason is the sniper trying to slowly get down to what my idle setting is (700). It’s part of the set up process.

What is the little purple band at the bottom of the scale for about the last five seconds representing?