Bullnose Forums

Changing door wing windows and frames

So you're saying the wider vent window divider of a Brick house door does matter?

It sure does, I think the Bricknose window is even smaller (narrower) than the Bullnose window iirc.

Right.

Didn't we go through this?

I remember taking a bunch of photos with my tape measure. :nabble_anim_confused:

I was questioning Dave about whether it made a difference in installation or removal.

Not that the difference exists (we all know it does)

Right.

I remember taking a bunch of photos with my tape measure. :nabble_anim_confused:

I was questioning Dave about whether it made a difference in installation or removal.

It is also longer and could not get them to I stall.

I don't remember just why now but I could not use them.

I also have pictures of the differences on my web site.

Dave. ----

Right.

It is also longer and could not get them to I stall.

I don't remember just why now but I could not use them.

I also have pictures of the differences on my web site.

Dave. ----

Maybe we need to document this, once and for all. Dave, can you get me the pics and point me to the measurements?

Sorry just seen this and I am away for a few days will try when I get back home.

Dave ----

80-86 Vent Windows and Door Glass are different than 87-96.

80-86 door glass is wider, and the frame/channel of the vent window is narrower

87-91 door glass is narrower, and the frame of the vent window is wider

92-96 door glass is the same as 87-91, but the vent window is notched at the front to clear the dash. The frame/channel of the vent window is just as wide as the 87-91 vent window.

If you try to put 87-96 door glass with an 80-86 vent window, the door glass will be loose in the channel and will not seal. If you try to put 80-86 door glass with an 87-96 vent window, it won't fit right and will be too tight in the channel, if you can get it in at all.

I don't understand why Dave had issues with a different year of vent window. I have mixed and matched 87-96 door glass and vent windows into 80-86 doors without issue, and have also put bullnose vent windows and glass into an aeronose door. They should swap around fine as long as you keep bullnose door glass with bullnose vent windows, or bricknose/aeronose glass with bricknose/aeronose vent windows.

80-86 Vent Windows and Door Glass are different than 87-96.

80-86 door glass is wider, and the frame/channel of the vent window is narrower

87-91 door glass is narrower, and the frame of the vent window is wider

92-96 door glass is the same as 87-91, but the vent window is notched at the front to clear the dash. The frame/channel of the vent window is just as wide as the 87-91 vent window.

If you try to put 87-96 door glass with an 80-86 vent window, the door glass will be loose in the channel and will not seal. If you try to put 80-86 door glass with an 87-96 vent window, it won't fit right and will be too tight in the channel, if you can get it in at all.

I don't understand why Dave had issues with a different year of vent window. I have mixed and matched 87-96 door glass and vent windows into 80-86 doors without issue, and have also put bullnose vent windows and glass into an aeronose door. They should swap around fine as long as you keep bullnose door glass with bullnose vent windows, or bricknose/aeronose glass with bricknose/aeronose vent windows.

I had the early (81)door glass and later (87>) vent frames so for 1 they would not work with the door glass I had.

2 the later vent frames were longer. Besides being wider, and I could not get they in my early doors.

I will post pictures of them when I get home Thursday.

The other thing was the early vent window seal did fit 100% in the later frame but think it would have worked if I had to use it.

The early rubber fit the early frames like a glove.

Dave. ----

I had the early (81)door glass and later (87>) vent frames so for 1 they would not work with the door glass I had.

2 the later vent frames were longer. Besides being wider, and I could not get they in my early doors.

The other thing was the early vent window seal did fit 100% in the later frame but think it would have worked if I had to use it.

Dave. ----

Interesting. I remember you talking about the frame being longer. I had the bricknose vent windows in my 1980 for some time, and didn't have that issue.

Dave. ----

Interesting. I remember you talking about the frame being longer. I had the bricknose vent windows in my 1980 for some time, and didn't have that issue.

I dont have any measurements but do have pictures.

This were the replacements I bought before I knew they were different, they are wide and longer then the 81's I pulled from the truck.

20161027_173533.jpg.19bada10a9593cf80e5d063bbb47a574.jpg

Here is the early thin frame on top of the later wide frame.

20191013_120456.thumb.jpg.71b66ca71f8d248f88ba99247fc672f7.jpg

Here you can see how much longer the later frame I had is.

20191013_120439.thumb.jpg.f3d9cea9ccf06be303c445edd446487e.jpg

I dont think the bottoms rusted off to make them shorter?

20191015_153856.jpg.766557514d8627ab81aa59600ab41fd9.jpg

The wing glass is the same between the 2 frames as I had to use the glass from the wider frames in the good thin frames I got later when I found this mess when putting the truck back together.

20191015_153747.jpg.0c96e06e7c8e6db574724f48e4cfbafc.jpg

Now that I think of it I may still have the old thin frames and I am sure I have the wide frames I might be able to get measurements from if needed.

Dave ----

I dont have any measurements but do have pictures.

This were the replacements I bought before I knew they were different, they are wide and longer then the 81's I pulled from the truck.

Here is the early thin frame on top of the later wide frame.

Here you can see how much longer the later frame I had is.

I dont think the bottoms rusted off to make them shorter?

The wing glass is the same between the 2 frames as I had to use the glass from the wider frames in the good thin frames I got later when I found this mess when putting the truck back together.

Now that I think of it I may still have the old thin frames and I am sure I have the wide frames I might be able to get measurements from if needed.

Dave ----

Those thin frames have definitely been modified, either by cancer or by somebody who didn't want cancer. I took a look at the thin frames I have in my doors and they are way longer than what you have. I remember them being long on my 1980 as well.