Bullnose Forums

Changing door wing windows and frames

Hi gents,

I have to swap out the door wing windows on the old 80 project truck (and it has Bricknose doors, but I don’t think it matters). I’ll have to pull the inner door panel obviously, but will I have to remove the main window as well? I assume yes? I’ll be swapping the whole frame with the window guide.

Is there a how-to on this anywhere, or any tips or advice?

Hi gents,

I have to swap out the door wing windows on the old 80 project truck (and it has Bricknose doors, but I don’t think it matters). I’ll have to pull the inner door panel obviously, but will I have to remove the main window as well? I assume yes? I’ll be swapping the whole frame with the window guide.

I've seen the door glass replaced without pulling the vent window so I would assume it possible. However, pulling the glass is really easy, so I'd just pull it. I just recently replaced all my door glass seals, this to include the vent window seals. I also put in New glass......very easy job.

Hi gents,

I've seen the door glass replaced without pulling the vent window so I would assume it possible. However, pulling the glass is really easy, so I'd just pull it. I just recently replaced all my door glass seals, this to include the vent window seals. I also put in New glass......very easy job.

I agree on removing the main window.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/vent-windows.html

Ahh, OK...so you remove the rear window track first? I have to order some window seals, so I best get them moving so I can get at this and get it done. Thanks guys.

One of the videos I looked at while waiting for my new seals showed how to do the vent windows - you may want to search that out. I don't remember what or where. Didn't seem too hard though. I just didn't do my vent windows.

I did this job recently, probably should have taken some pictures, but my memory is that the vent window frame extends down into the door and the back side of it forms the channel the main glass runs in. So if you don't remove the main glass first, it might fall down, or actually fall over, towards the front of the door. The bottom of it would still be caught in the regulator mechanism, but it might flop. Best to remove it first I think.

Ahh, OK...so you remove the rear window track first? I have to order some window seals, so I best get them moving so I can get at this and get it done. Thanks guys.

Yeah, unbolt it and then just drop it and move it to the back of the door out of the way.

Pete - you're right. You could leave the main window in there and move it out of the way but would risk damage.

One of the videos I looked at while waiting for my new seals showed how to do the vent windows - you may want to search that out. I don't remember what or where. Didn't seem too hard though. I just didn't do my vent windows.

My doors I gutted as part of the rebuild so I did not have the main glass in place when going back together.

I did install the vents first then the main glass.

Just be careful as there are different vent window frames and main glass that go with them so I found out.

Just match up the good with the bad to make sure they are the same, both on how long and how wide the divider is.

Mine were apart for almost 4 years and other than having the wrong vent frames that would not fit into the doors, thats when I found the different sizes on the frames, it was pretty easy going back together.

I also replaced all the rubber seals and felt guides.

Dave ----

My doors I gutted as part of the rebuild so I did not have the main glass in place when going back together.

I did install the vents first then the main glass.

Just be careful as there are different vent window frames and main glass that go with them so I found out.

Just match up the good with the bad to make sure they are the same, both on how long and how wide the divider is.

Mine were apart for almost 4 years and other than having the wrong vent frames that would not fit into the doors, thats when I found the different sizes on the frames, it was pretty easy going back together.

I also replaced all the rubber seals and felt guides.

Dave ----

So you're saying the wider vent window divider of a Brick house door does matter?

There are two screws on the sloped edge of the door and one down inside the door that holds the bottom of the track IIRC.

Nothing different about how they install, right?

Cory, be mindful of the little tab below the vent window pivot that holds the inner and outer skins together.

Both of mine have been tacked so many times there's nothing left to fix.

Seems you have plenty of instructions on removing/installing frames, I would suggest spray silicone for all the rubber and felt; makes things slip together without fighting you and glass to operate smoothly. I am an amateur though so your mileage may vary...