Bullnose Forums

Wipers not working, where to check first?

Good day gents,

So after much searching I found out that the wipers do not have a fuse. I guess there is a circuit breaker in the wiper switch? Anyway, it is the only electrical item left that is not working.

So do I pull the instrument bezel and check the switch first, or go straight to the wiper motor? Is there a common issue with them?

Gar, I see you have a wiper troubleshooting section...do the wire colors etc apply to 1980?

I don't think the 1980 wiring was different for the wipers, but will check in a bit. (After I have a couple of cups of Joe, with breakfast in between.)

But I can't think of a common problem that would stop the wipers from working at all - other than the ground.

Only common issue I've found is that the wipers will start and not stop. I have this issue. Seems to be the motor when this happens. If mine wouldn't start, I'd probably check switch first, maybe just go ahead and replace - they aren't so expensive. I mean these things are all 40 years old or approaching it. May as well replace and have it new. Wiper motor seems to be a fairly involved process as the cowl has to come off and that is more easily done with hood off, which is a 2 person project. Or all this is what I saw in a video on replacing the wiper motor.

But if the wiring is on the firewall, that should be easy enough to check to see if power is getting there.

And if changing the wiper switch, while you're in there, how good is the headlight switch working? LEDs or working bulbs in the cluster? Needles looking good? Lots of things that can be fixed on pretty quick.

Only common issue I've found is that the wipers will start and not stop. I have this issue. Seems to be the motor when this happens. If mine wouldn't start, I'd probably check switch first, maybe just go ahead and replace - they aren't so expensive. I mean these things are all 40 years old or approaching it. May as well replace and have it new. Wiper motor seems to be a fairly involved process as the cowl has to come off and that is more easily done with hood off, which is a 2 person project. Or all this is what I saw in a video on replacing the wiper motor.

But if the wiring is on the firewall, that should be easy enough to check to see if power is getting there.

And if changing the wiper switch, while you're in there, how good is the headlight switch working? LEDs or working bulbs in the cluster? Needles looking good? Lots of things that can be fixed on pretty quick.

I have the same issue as Randy. At times it won't stop.

Not troubleshooting but something to consider: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1457308-grief-b-gone-for-a-wiper-motor-change.html

Cory, do you have two speed or intermittent wipers?

ie, does the wiper knob turn counter clockwise as well as two clicks right for low and high?

Jim,

Just the plain 2 speed standard wipers. I haven’t gotten back to working on this yet, but I do have a delay wiper switch and module on hand I can try if need to be rule out the switch. I’ll post the results when I finally get back to this.

Jim,

Just the plain 2 speed standard wipers. I haven’t gotten back to working on this yet, but I do have a delay wiper switch and module on hand I can try if need to be rule out the switch. I’ll post the results when I finally get back to this.

Well, that rules out a faulty delay module or a bad ground at the switch.

You're making great strides with this truck.

Hope you're having fun with it! :nabble_smiley_good: