Bullnose Forums

Headliners: repair or replace?

I had an 84 Dodge that had no headliner and bare bones interior. But the Ford had the backer in there and it was torn at the corners. All the previous material was off - I ran over it with some fine sandpaper and damp rag to get dust off. I used clear packing tape to try to hold the corner together.

I used a kit from https://www.yourautotrim.com/headlinerkits.html. They had 1790 blue listed but not available. I called and guy fixed up that order for me. It was like $48 with shipping. Spray adhesive and foam.

Halfway. I did half at a time.

You can see where I taped up the corner here. Box on top was just weight to keep the whole thing from flying away on a breezy morning.

Installed:

I agree that you could probably use a big box to make a new backer if need be. Lay the old one and draw and cut if you can't use original.

Cut holes BEFORE you install. Like the visor holes and poke the screw holes too if possible.

Yours looks great. I just ordered and "installed" a ready to mount (minus hole cutting) upholstered headliner from StockInteriors. The headliner itself came in looking awesome. Installing it was a nightmare. Granted, this could be 100% user error, but the front portion that goes under the front trim was angled so much more than the original that I couldn't get the trim to clip into the roof. I heated up the plastic backing and flattened it out a bit and it got me closer, but then realized the material was too thick and wasn't letting the clips reach far enough into the holes to pop in. I mean I was using every ounce of strength. My arms hurt for two days after trying to work that thing in!

Long story short ending....I got frustrated and put the trim back up with some sheet metal screws that I've color matched with touch up paint to make them as incognito as possible. If I end up hating myself too much for it later, I'll find a spare trim piece and try again.

Rant over. Y'alls headliners looks great!

Yours looks great. I just ordered and "installed" a ready to mount (minus hole cutting) upholstered headliner from StockInteriors. The headliner itself came in looking awesome. Installing it was a nightmare. Granted, this could be 100% user error, but the front portion that goes under the front trim was angled so much more than the original that I couldn't get the trim to clip into the roof. I heated up the plastic backing and flattened it out a bit and it got me closer, but then realized the material was too thick and wasn't letting the clips reach far enough into the holes to pop in. I mean I was using every ounce of strength. My arms hurt for two days after trying to work that thing in!

Long story short ending....I got frustrated and put the trim back up with some sheet metal screws that I've color matched with touch up paint to make them as incognito as possible. If I end up hating myself too much for it later, I'll find a spare trim piece and try again.

Rant over. Y'alls headliners looks great!

Part of the issue of the head liner falling down is the foam. Over time it dries out and just falls apart.

I know the foam is used to "hide" any bad areas on the cardboard backer so if you can find something a little thicker it may hide the bad areas with out the foam.

As for using a large box I see the corners would be a bear to make.

Also I would think once the cardboard got damp it may sag so it should be coated with something.

I heard Gorilla glue thinned and painted on the cardboard, both sides, should do it as water will not harm it like Elmers glue does.

No head liner in my base custom truck.

Dave ----

Part of the issue of the head liner falling down is the foam. Over time it dries out and just falls apart.

I know the foam is used to "hide" any bad areas on the cardboard backer so if you can find something a little thicker it may hide the bad areas with out the foam.

As for using a large box I see the corners would be a bear to make.

Also I would think once the cardboard got damp it may sag so it should be coated with something.

I heard Gorilla glue thinned and painted on the cardboard, both sides, should do it as water will not harm it like Elmers glue does.

No head liner in my base custom truck.

Dave ----

You're 100% wrong on the corners Dave.

The headliner backing is just punched out of a flat sheet of something between cardboard and hardboard.

Yes, the WHOLE issue is that the foam disintegrates leaving the fabric hanging like a tent.

The foam gives the fabric enough support that it doesn't wrinkle at the folds.

I suppose you could apply varnish or poly to the cardboard, but how do you think it's going to get wet on the ceiling of the truck?

What on earth would you use to 'thin' Gorilla Glue?

What would you do with it once it foamed up all over the place?

The material for the hole is still there... it's just busted from impact. I might be able to shove/fold it back together. I'll get pics tomorrow.

It's stripping itself, actually... the paper that the foam was glued to (layer of the board?) is peeling away all over. Have to rip off sections of it to keep it out of my hair/eyes.

Here's a pic:

IMG_20210512_2203151.jpg.d9d7c22dfb949649ac9c5811fb5d07a7.jpg

The light tan is what's under the peeling paper... very dusty and velvety. A PO tacked the headliner at some point, as that's all that's holding the paper to the board in many places.

Here's a pic:

The light tan is what's under the peeling paper... very dusty and velvety. A PO tacked the headliner at some point, as that's all that's holding the paper to the board in many places.

So if you peeled what's left of the paper off it looks like the backer is supporting itself. ???

I feel pretty certain if you polyed the backer it would soak in and bind up any dustiness.

My kit was pretty much what Randy showed.

I did it a decade ago and it seems to be holding up fine.

You just need to take a lot of care getting the fabric/foam stuck down once it's covered in contact cement.

You can't let it touch at all where you dont want it... or to itself.

And you don't want to stretch it much because that will cause wrinkles somewhere else.

I used a broad plastic Bondo squeegee to gently rub the liner to the backing.

So if you peeled what's left of the paper off it looks like the backer is supporting itself. ???

I feel pretty certain if you polyed the backer it would soak in and bind up any dustiness.

My kit was pretty much what Randy showed.

I did it a decade ago and it seems to be holding up fine.

You just need to take a lot of care getting the fabric/foam stuck down once it's covered in contact cement.

You can't let it touch at all where you dont want it... or to itself.

And you don't want to stretch it much because that will cause wrinkles somewhere else.

I used a broad plastic Bondo squeegee to gently rub the liner to the backing.

Agreed that if you peel the white off, you will have same backer as others and mine. Mine had a few spots under the visors and dome light that had to be peeled. I then lightly sanded and wiped with damp cloth. Let dry and ready for the spray adhesive. You definitely want to clean the dustiness off of there. Nothing will stick for long. I thought sanding and blowing it off would work, but I had to wipe it as well to get it clean.

I just used my hand to spread the material and it worked better than I thought it would.

And thanks for the compliments on mine. It was easy and made a HUGE difference in how I felt about the interior.

Agreed that if you peel the white off, you will have same backer as others and mine. Mine had a few spots under the visors and dome light that had to be peeled. I then lightly sanded and wiped with damp cloth. Let dry and ready for the spray adhesive. You definitely want to clean the dustiness off of there. Nothing will stick for long. I thought sanding and blowing it off would work, but I had to wipe it as well to get it clean.

I just used my hand to spread the material and it worked better than I thought it would.

And thanks for the compliments on mine. It was easy and made a HUGE difference in how I felt about the interior.

You've got it backwards... the white is what's under the paper. The dark stuff is the paper.

The headliner backing is just punched out of a flat sheet of something between cardboard and hardboard.

Yes, the WHOLE issue is that the foam disintegrates leaving the fabric hanging like a tent.

I suppose you could apply varnish or poly to the cardboard, but how do you think it's going to get wet on the ceiling of the truck?

What is the humidity level there in the summer?

In the winter you get in with wet & snow boots andas it heats up inside that water has to go some where no?

On the Glue I think they make one like Elmers that water will not hurt and dose not foam up like the syrup looking stuff dose.

I looked into this years ago for my AMC Javelin head liner

Dave ----

In the winter you get in with wet & snow boots andas it heats up inside that water has to go some where no?

On the Glue I think they make one like Elmers that water will not hurt and dose not foam up like the syrup looking stuff dose.

Dave ----

"Gorilla Glue" (to me) is that foaming urethane that looks like molasses.

Yes, they sell epoxy, yellow wood glue and cyanoacrylate as well. But that's not what I think of when someone says "Gorilla Glue"

Varnish or polyurethane finish would be better to consolidate punky cardboard.

Dave ----

Seems like one could seal it with Elmers diluted with water or even a coat of Kilz primer? If ya really wanted to.