Bullnose Forums

Phosphoric acid dip to clean rusty hardware

What always amazes me is the amount of sludge and foam I get from electrolysis.

I know it only started out with washing soda but I highly expect the cell is creating more than just hydrogen.

I need to test the PH next time I get a chance to do that.

When I did electrolysis I did it big, made a pool 6'x6'x3' deep to do the hood & fenders of my Javelin.

For nuts & bolts I soaked them in something like "rust be gone" I got through 1 of the parts stores.

I did use the acid on the frame and the body on the heavy pitted rust with a spray bottle before painting frame and doing body work.

Dave ----

I usually use a joint compound pail but I have a bright blue kiddie pool that I did a speedway motorcycle frame in.

Anyway.... The phosphoric acid is always effective at reducing iron oxides and leaving some protection.

After rinsing and drying, light oil is good unless you are going to paint right away.

I usually use a joint compound pail but I have a bright blue kiddie pool that I did a speedway motorcycle frame in.

Anyway.... The phosphoric acid is always effective at reducing iron oxides and leaving some protection.

After rinsing and drying, light oil is good unless you are going to paint right away.

Here are pics of what I'm getting in the little dip bottle after cleaning about 15 bolts. I'm suspecting that the white precipitate that forms on metal sheeting after brushing on Ospho is the same material that is turning the green Ospho into a milky green slurry. I suspect that this Ospho has done its life purpose, and needs to be renewed, as it were.

Dip3.jpg.9f2d13d4bf70881242c5e77ea5d37039.jpg

Dip2.jpg.0ef22d8e285a88a071450f0780467e0e.jpg

Here are the results, seat mounting hardware from the F250 in my first post.

After drying, they will retain the dark gray appearance, and resist rust well.

Dip1.jpg.abe1060be58e710b6d6da3c7635d0ddd.jpg

Here are pics of what I'm getting in the little dip bottle after cleaning about 15 bolts. I'm suspecting that the white precipitate that forms on metal sheeting after brushing on Ospho is the same material that is turning the green Ospho into a milky green slurry. I suspect that this Ospho has done its life purpose, and needs to be renewed, as it were.

Here are the results, seat mounting hardware from the F250 in my first post.

After drying, they will retain the dark gray appearance, and resist rust well.

Wow. It looks like you're soaking them in ranch dressing or spinach dip! 🤣

I get the white crust on items if I don't properly rinse them, but I've never seen the dilute acid emulsify like that.

Wow. It looks like you're soaking them in ranch dressing or spinach dip! 🤣

I get the white crust on items if I don't properly rinse them, but I've never seen the dilute acid emulsify like that.

I'll get you some nice chips, then call the paramedics :nabble_smiley_argh:

It all started off nice clear green, a few weeks ago....

Little bigger that the kiddie pool

Pool20001.jpg.d7041446a05b164367c6bab5f59163ee.jpg

Fender & bumper brackets

Pool20003.jpg.00bcc7100fbbcb458a52300666772dc7.jpg

I did 2 other fenders and 2 hoods in the pool.

Dave ----

Fender & bumper brackets

Dave ----

I think I saw those pictures over on FTE.

Just stay away from chlorine and sulfur salts as electrolytes, for obvious reasons.

Fender & bumper brackets

Dave ----

Wow Fuzzface, my wife would kill me. Hats off to you. All my old bumpers in the bumper graveyard yearn for similar treatment.

It looks like you're in a suburban setting too. I'm VFD, we would get called out for this kind of setup if a Karen spots it in city limits. Keep it discrete.

Wow Fuzzface, my wife would kill me. Hats off to you. All my old bumpers in the bumper graveyard yearn for similar treatment.

It looks like you're in a suburban setting too. I'm VFD, we would get called out for this kind of setup if a Karen spots it in city limits. Keep it discrete.

What could someone possibly say about it?

What could someone possibly say about it?

The petty issues reported in today's EMS and Fire calls would shock you. Many counties are encrypting so it's harder to hear traffic. Ours go out only thru data to our phones. So nobody can hear some lady complaining that she has anxiety so she needs an ambulance. Or the neighbor has a funny smell.

The petty issues reported in today's EMS and Fire calls would shock you. Many counties are encrypting so it's harder to hear traffic. Ours go out only thru data to our phones. So nobody can hear some lady complaining that she has anxiety so she needs an ambulance. Or the neighbor has a funny smell.

I honestly don't want to be a part of this experiment any more.